Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
If Tanev is gonna cost around 5M for like 3-4 years, you may as well go 6M x 5 years on Roy, way more tread on the tire.
I think the Tanev play has to be lots of term to get the AAV down. He is not 35 yet, so his contract is allowed to go LTIR in the later year. If he wants $5M x three or four years, offer him $3M times six or seven years with it front end loaded. He gets his money and we get our cap space. He goes LTIR in year 3 or 4 and we all win.

LeafsStorm

Oct 22, 2011
Trade Kampf for a pick in this year or next
Sign Domi 4 x 3.5
Sign Tuzi 4 x 4.5
Trade Marner for Wright + Pick + High end Prospect
Or sign him to the same contract as Willy with no NMC
Bring in one of the 1A/B goalies for similiar length but lower AAV of Will
If they absolutely must sign Tanev, 3 x ????
Give JT a blank cheque off the books and have him retire and offer management opportunities
(One can dream)
Lil 4x..4? Or Trade for picks/prospects
Gio walks
Brodie is not walked but ejected (feel bad about his personal life but time to retire)
Man I don't even know lol

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
So far we’ve done… nothing??

I lack the patience for this kind of inactivity.

Common
So far we’ve done… nothing??

I lack the patience for this kind of inactivity.

Common something.
1719523158422.jpeg

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I think the Tanev play has to be lots of term to get the AAV down. He is not 35 yet, so his contract is allowed to go LTIR in the later year. If he wants $5M x three or four years, offer him $3M times six or seven years with it front end loaded. He gets his money and we get our cap space. He goes LTIR in year 3 or 4 and we all win.

This is where I'm at too. Don't understand people being scared of term for a guy that often gets hurt and is LTIR eligible. After a couple years he could be our Mark Stone missing most of the year but coming back for the playoffs.

Whatever his age, in this most recent postseason he was still one of the best defensive defenders in the league full stop. And would make a great partner for Rielly right now.

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Roy

That top 4 is miles ahead of anything we've had.

Reactions: Kurtz

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Yea, I keep coming here... expecting something... anything even.

Appreciate they are in on things, but if you are not getting things done, we have a problem.

I don't even know what I want really, change I guess, but I can surely assume what I would like to see will never come to fruition.
They can't sign anyone until July 1, so unless they are trading Marner between then and now, what else is there really to do?

Reactions: ACC1224

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Garbage? What part of can't score a goal and is horrible defensively is incorrect?

Well, he's a multiple time 20 goal-scorer, so he can obviously score a goal.

There's a reason he's bounced around the league, unfortunately people believe the bull**** there feed about how much he loves the team and lose all objectivity about what he is

Lost objectivity is thinking he's not worth 4 million bucks.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

my top target of any UFA, get it done brad
This is another guy who has played the entirety of his college and professional career in the US. Born in Michigan, so he at least knows what Canada is, but is there some connection for him here? I would think there will be a number of teams, including US teams, who will be trying to sign this guy.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Well, he's a multiple time 20 goal-scorer, so he can obviously score a goal.

Lost objectivity is thinking he's not worth 4 million bucks.
And he just scored 9, over a full season

Somebody will give it to him, I'd prefer that mistake to be from somebody besides the Leafs

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Maybe it's the decades of disappointment, but the fact that all we have heard is that "we're in on everyone" doesn't bode much confidence. I guess it's a good thing Tre is inquiring about everyone, but still. Hard not to feel like we are going to miss out.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
And he just scored 9, over a full season

That's why he should get 4 million instead of 6....
Somebody will give it to him, I'd prefer that mistake to be from somebody besides the Leafs

4 x 4 for Domi would very likely end up being a steal. Drop him on Matthews' wing, and he's easily a 60+ point guy who compliments Matthews well.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That's why he should get 4 million instead of 6....

4 x 4 for Domi would very likely end up being a steal. Drop him on Matthews' wing, and he's easily a 60+ point guy who compliments Matthews well.

4M for 9 goals? Talk about inflation

He's defensively inept, as soon as he's on Matthews line you can't use it to take tough matchups which means JT gets them

Not good

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto

He's defensively inept, as soon as he's on Matthews line you can't use it to take tough matchups which means JT gets them

Not good
Domi brings a level of effort and toughness as well so I wouldn't mind keeping him for that reason. He cares and it shows in his play, plus he can be a pest and fight as well.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

Not good
Domi on the wing is not defensively enept. He's solid defensively as a winger and also a great fit with Matthews. He also overtook Tavares as the 2C for a while last season. He's tough, a good playmaker and very versatile as a forward. 4M is a steal for him imo.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Domi brings a level of effort and toughness as well so I wouldn't mind keeping him for that reason. He cares and it shows in his play, plus he can be a pest and fight as well.

He's a very one dimensional player and became of that he screws up how you can use the lines he's on while makes team building far far more difficult
Domi on the wing is not defensively enept. He's solid defensively as a winger and also a great fit with Matthews. He also overtook Tavares as the 2C for a while last season. He's tough, a good playmaker and very versatile as a forward. 4M is a steal for him imo.
He is, any line he's on gets worse defensively and becomes limited on how you can use it
He's just bad at it
4M for 47 points playing 3rd line minutes and limited powerplay time....

Again, that's why he's only deserving of 4M.
Ended up on the top line and we couldn't use Matthews to matchup anymore

Let him go, he isn't good enough to bother about

• Haha
Reactions: exporta

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I didn't say "will". I said "should". 4 million is a fair price for Domi. As asked, what do you think these other 50 point guys going to get?

Dakorta Joshua just signed for 3.25, and he put up a career high of 32 points as a 27 year-old last year.
Theres more to players than points. Leafs can use 4 million a lot better than on Domi.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Oh don’t get me wrong, I’m not really on the Debrusk train. I just don’t see why anyone would sign in Calgary right now. Money is great but he’ll have more than 1 team willing to pay him. Calgary is sitting at the beginning stage of a lengthy rebuild.

The close to home angle is possible but if he signs there I would bet he will never see the playoffs again during the contract.
Yea I can't see them winning anytime soon, but they could sneak into the playoffs sooner than you think. Wolf is a great goalie, and I really like what Conroy's added to the defence. He's received a young D-man in pretty much every trade so far, and most of them are the hard to play against type. Plus Weegar and Andersson are one of the better top 2's in the league (even if they don't play together). But that forward group is ugly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad