Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Mikheyev is a bottom 6 player who was healthy-scratched in Vancouver. This is a chance for him to get more playing time in Chicago.

Marner has a lot more leverage.
Yup. Again nothing to do with the point some people are making that players NEVER waive their NTCs/NMCs and that they're somehow "iron clad".

Reactions: rumman

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
1) nobody has ever believed a team is a microcosm of society

2) we’ve had bottom 9 players at premium salaries for their role forever, they just sucked at their jobs. Kerfoot, Engvall, Kapanen, Johnsson, Marleau, Ritchie, Bert and Domi, Kampf, Reaves
1.) Read up on natural law, my friend. ;)
2) That's a lot of players with a lot of turnover over many years. I'm talking about some middle class players with term.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
There are some really garbage takes on Domi in this thread.

He had a slow and not very good start to the season but once he settled in he was very good.

Still produced nearly 50 points despite a notable reduction in both even strength and powerplay ice time from the previous season where he scored 20 and got 56 points.

Fit well with Matthews as well when called upon. 4X4M is reasonable but here is hoping we can get more like 3.5M

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

He had a slow and not very good start to the season but once he settled in he was very good.

Still produced nearly 50 points despite a notable reduction in both even strength and powerplay ice time from the previous season where he scored 20 and got 56 points.

Fit well with Matthews as well when called upon. 4X4M is reasonable but here is hoping we can get more like 3.5M
Can also play C in a pinch and did so very well when Matthews was unavailable in the playoffs. Peter DeBoer also spoke very highly of him and said how he was really missed by Dallas and how he was a great addition to their group in 2023. He likes to play under pressure and seems to elevate in those moments too.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Money and closer to home?

I'm fine with letting calgary overpay him. Debrusk isn't the guy most Leaf fans think he is

Oh don’t get me wrong, I’m not really on the Debrusk train. I just don’t see why anyone would sign in Calgary right now. Money is great but he’ll have more than 1 team willing to pay him. Calgary is sitting at the beginning stage of a lengthy rebuild.

The close to home angle is possible but if he signs there I would bet he will never see the playoffs again during the contract.

Reactions: JKG33

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Maybe, but the thing with Grebyonkin that his role with a lot of preferential offensive treatment that he gets in Magnitogorsk isn't going to be there as a middle sixer on the Leafs and we don't know if he's really suited to it.

For me, he's best off being the "Nylander" of the Marlies next season

McGroarty seems at least stylistically more suited to be in that middle six role much the way Knies did.

Knies didn't exactly shine in a middle six role while being given prime opportunities, even with the 1st. line players. He looked better in the playoffs, after a full season.

When is the last time you saw Nylander drop the gloves and go at it to protect a teammate?

Grebyonkin loves having the puck on his stick. He can be creative in 1-on-1 situations, doing his best to deke guys out and create a chance. I still think he’s better as a setup guy, especially when paired with a speedy, skilled shooter. I also personally love how Grebyonkin cycles the puck – he’s able to shrug off shoves from bigger players, keep the play alive around the boards and then rush to the net in an attempt to get something on net.

To me it seems both these guys (McGroarty, Grebyonkin) should be in the line-up, rather than some smurfs who can skate but are no offensive threat, or are a smurf with one asset.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022

Fit well with Matthews as well when called upon. 4X4M is reasonable but here is hopting we can get more like 3.5M
Exactly. He stood out in a good way with Matthews. We've had a few other non-stars who could keep up with Matthews - but not that many. And the guys who did, like Bunting and Hyman, are getting paid more than 4 mil. Even Knies was so-so on that top line.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Oh don’t get me wrong, I’m not really on the Debrusk train. I just don’t see why anyone would sign in Calgary right now. Money is great, but that team is sitting at the beginning stage of a lengthy rebuild.

If he signs there he will never see the playoffs again during this contract.

Signing a long term contract in Calgary would make the most sense, as you'd be moving into a new state of the art arena in a couple seasons, and these Bearspaw Homes for Sale Calgary - Bearspaw Real Estate are 30 minutes away from the arena.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yup. Again nothing to do with the point some people are making that players NEVER waive their NTCs/NMCs and that they're somehow "iron clad".
A player waiving a NMC/NTC in order to personally benefit is very different from a player waiving a NMC/NTC to their own detriment because a few fans have hurt feelings.
Nobody has ever said that NMC/NTCs are never waived. There just has to be a good reason other than I wanna.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Okay, we can agree players waive the NTC's and some their NMC's.

The pertinent point is he could have been traded elsewhere without his consent, and knowing the Canucks wanted him gone, and his time had soured in Vancouver waiving for Chicago was his choice.
marner has a NMC, Tavares has a NMC, so unlike Kadri who refused to waive, but could only for 10 teams, they can refuse to waive indefinitely.

NTC <> NMC

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Okay, we can agree players waive the NTC's and some their NMC's.

The pertinent point is he could have been traded elsewhere without his consent, and knowing the Canucks wanted him gone, and his time had soured in Vancouver waiving for Chicago was his choice.
marner has a NMC, Tavares has a NMC, so unlike Kadri who refused to waive, but could only for 10 teams, they can refuse to waive indefinitely.

NTC <> NMC
They can refuse to waive for 1 year, not indefinitely. Now the next question is why would Marner want to play for a team that doesn't want him and there's a strong possibility the fans will be hostile?

I don't think the above applies to Tavares, as he knows he's other done here after this season or he'll have to sign for a whole lot less.

Reactions: rumman

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020

4x4 is very reasonable and would be my offer. Domi has legitimate 1st line passing ability and isn't afraid of contact and battling. He also seemed in great shape and was probably skating the best of any of the players on the team during the playoffs. He explodes with the puck on his stick very well.

His issues are obvious: Lacks attention to detail, defensively poor and he takes dumb penalties. He also had issues getting to the net last year, but was getting there late in the year.

His warts are easy to deal given his positives, as long as the AAV is down. I'd much rather have Domi at 3.5-4m than say Kerfoot, even if Kerfoot is a smarter player. But rumored ask is 6m per, that's insane for a guy who scored 6 goals in his final 46 games of the season. Which was his good stretch.

I'm still hoping they figure it out, Domi fits with Auston and is a great in small spurts at Center, which will help Tavares as he continues to decline.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
4x4 is very reasonable and would be my offer. Domi has legitimate 1st line passing ability and isn't afraid of contact and battling. He also seemed in great shape and was probably skating the best of any of the players on the team during the playoffs. He explodes with the puck on his stick very well.

His issues are obvious: Lacks attention to detail, defensively poor and he takes dumb penalties. He also had issues getting to the net last year, but was getting there late in the year.

His warts are easy to deal given his positives, as long as the AAV is down. I'd much rather have Domi at 3.5-4m than say Kerfoot, even if Kerfoot is a smarter player. But rumored ask is 6m per, that's insane for a guy who scored 6 goals in his final 46 games of the season. Which was his good stretch.

I'm still hoping they figure it out, Domi fits with Auston and is a great in small spurts at Center, which will help Tavares as he continues to decline.

Friedman says Domi’s ask is 4x4M
This would be a very different discussion at 6M per.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad