Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 10.9%

• Total voters

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
WHAT? Waived his NMC? Umpossible!
1719506893162.jpeg

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Using "ammo at the deadline" is part of the reason they're scrambling now to supplement the team.

Ideally, the return would be players yet to hit their ceiling, with untapped potential.

If they could come away with two 2nd. liners with term I'd be satisfied.
Sure, that’s valid but also one of the prices of being competitive in a strong division.
They can also get you guys to build with - McBain was a second at the deadline.
But I shouldn’t have limited it to that - they’re just good assets. A second gets you Colton last year (and maybe this year?)
In fact, if there’s a prospect and pick rich package, there’s a good chance to find players with the picks.
A prospect package from Nashville that includes a first and a second looks a lot better if that second becomes Colton, for example.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Hopefully you are up for that challenge. Today's was an epic low bar. Good Luck and Cheers. :thumbu:

And we both know you'll be reading it again tomorrow too.

If there's anything we can be sure, if it's related to the Leafs, the bar can always be set lower.

I'll try not to disappoint.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
You are already looking for 2 D. Extend him for 3 more years or let him walk and find a replacement next year.

I'd rather look for a better C with that money and circle back if you cannot find one, especially if you land Debrusk.

I’d rather get Domi than DeBrusk. At 4 million, Domi is probably my #1 target.

Reactions: Smif

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The fit between Skinner and the Leafs is undeniable. Last year, it became obvious that some additional scoring outside of the Core 4 was needed. Skinner could certainly provide that and with his hometown club just up the road from his second home in Buffalo, Toronto could be an appealing destination for the veteran winger.

View attachment 887513

It’s kind of a terrible fit if you ask me. Hometown local kid who might want to be here but probably not for any good competitive reason. A complete playoff rookie at 30 whatever.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
If Domi has a full year playing shotgun to Matthews and had some opportunity to play power play 1, then it's not out of the realm to think the he could put up 65 points. He put up 47 when it took him some time to get acclimated to the team and playing on the 2nd line for half the year.

I think 4x4 would be a fair deal. If you could lock him in at 3.5x4, I'd do it.
If Domi couldn’t get 4x4 last year, how is he going to get it this year? He scored 9 goals last year lmao

Reactions: Brobust

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
If Domi couldn’t get 4x4 last year, how is he going to get it this year? He scored 9 goals last year lmao

You're not looking for him to score goals though and that's not really his game. If he tops out at 12-14 goals, but 50 assists, that's a perfect season because that means that he's likely to have assisted on a majority of Matthews goals.

He also looked good in the playoffs. Not amazing, but what you would expect from a complimentary player.

Reactions: Sypher04

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It’s kind of a terrible fit if you ask me. Hometown local kid who might want to be here but probably not for any good competitive reason. A complete playoff rookie at 30 whatever.

Being a playoff rookie is largely immaterial imo. Doesn’t really have any bearing on how the player will help there.

I’m not strongly advocating for Skinner by any means BUT if the price is right (cheap) he adds speed and goalscoring ability

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Want to play in the playoffs is a good competitive reason. I think Seattle will go hard after him. They need goal scoring as well.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Joshua off the market. Just re-signed in Vancouver. Was rumored to e a Treliving Target

I see pivoting to Yakuv Trenin. Treliving wanted him at the trade deadline and was close to getting him apparently

See you in two years when this turns in to a MIkheyev level signing.

Reactions: LeafGrief

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
4x4 is a good, not great deal for Domi. I'd certainly prefer to sign him to that than let him walk. He's the sort of player who understands that the name on the back of his shirt is relevant, but it's relevant because that name is synonymous with bleeding for the logo on the front.

If that's what he's asking for the final deal probably comes in a few hundred grand lower and then I think everyone's happy. Whether or not he's riding with Matthews, he's a good depth piece and it's nice to have some guys locked up in the middle salary range between the cheap depth and superstars. Domi brings some snarl, he brings energy, he brings a bit of skill wherever he's played. Good player.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Where's this from?

“I feel like I could definitely add that leadership ability,” McGroarty explained. “I could come in and bring that compete and energy. Being a kid that’s always been a Toronto fan, I’ve always been a big fan of them. And I got a lot of friends up there so I feel like I’d be comfortable in the Toronto area.”

Typically, a player growing up a Leafs fan is a fun little tidbit for fans and nothing more, but in this case, where McGroarty could potentially have a say in where he ends up, it might work in Toronto’s favour."

Then you aren't getting him, no way he goes for 3M, no way

$3.25M... not far off. But he didn't make it to free agency so that may account for part of that ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad