Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Not gonna lie it's pretty lame that Domi is trying to go cash in elsewhere. It really sucks that even a local born and bred Toronto boy who is the son of a fan favourite and was also on his way to becoming a fan favourite here just wants his bag too and doesn't care about the crest on the front. It's sad what the culture of this team and city has become and that the prestige of being a Maple Leaf seems to no longer matter.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
How about some Ivan Provorov in Toronto ??

Aaron Portzline of The Athletic lists Ivan Provorov as a potential trade chip for the Columbus Blue Jackets this summer as newly hired general manager Don Waddell tries to improve the struggling team. The 27-year-old Provorov has one season left on his contract with a cap hit of $4.75MM ($2MM retained by Los Angeles) and should receive interest if Columbus decides to move him. Portzline says he would be surprised if Provorov spends the year with the Blue Jackets.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ottaway reportedly gearing up to offer Chris Tanev a 6 yr deal potentially

Good lord

The Stars are continuing discussions with pending UFA blueliner Chris Tanev, relays Pierre LeBrun of TSN and The Athletic (Twitter link). The 34-year-old proved to be a strong pickup at the trade deadline, helping to anchor their back end through a run to the Western Conference Final. Tanev finished the season with 19 points and a career-best 207 blocks in 75 games between Calgary and Dallas and will have strong interest next week;

LeBrun puts the Maple Leafs as one of his likely suitors.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Jesus, this place loves nothing more than the big bright shiny name doesn't it?

Joshua?, he's the sort of mediocre player who has one or two decent seasons and gets wildly overpaid for his actual talent level because of all the intangibles he brings

You think Kampf is overpaid? Wait until we give Joshua over 4M a year with some term chucked in

Skinner? I've had enough of these mercenary old retreads, I'd rather play Cowan or Grebyonkin and at least have some upside to look forward to

Reactions: BertCorbeau

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

Joshua?, he's the sort of mediocre player who has one or two decent seasons and gets wildly overpaid for his actual talent level because of all the intangibles he brings

You think Kampf is overpaid? Wait until we give Joshua over 4M a year with some term chucked in

Skinner? I've had enough of these mercenary old retreads, I'd rather play Cowan or Grebyonkin and at least have some upside to look forward to

I've never seen anyone here throw a number that start with 4 on a Joshua contract. Skinner is a much better player than either Cowan or Greb right now. Do we like better players? It s a no-brainer if we can get Skinner on a 1year team friendly deal.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Skinner at league minimum, or some sort of buriable contract, I'm fine with. You get much higher, and it doesn't seem like a smart move.

I'd like to see Cowan, Greb etc. succeed, but you need experienced players too... and if they are better than Skinner, and you've got him at league minimum, you trade, waive or bury him.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
The two Treliving type players combined for 2 goals in 7 playoff games... sorry I'm not seeing a lot of relevance to this. Signing Skinner does not preclude us from also signing players with more grit (Joshua, Trenin, Zadorov, etc).
Tkachuk only had 3 goals in his final 20 playoff games and his team ended up fine. Micro analyzing their goals when they were only given one series of work is pretty useless.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Tkachuk only had 3 goals in his final 20 playoff games and his team ended up fine. Micro analyzing their goals when they were only given one series of work is pretty useless.
Unfortunately that's all we have to go by. I wouldn't go so far as to label them as the "problem" obviously - but they are not $5M-$6M players.

Reactions: Havoc

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I think we all want to see a better overall team this season and many people have different opinions to achieve that.

Free agency is typically where a lot of teams make mistakes and create much bigger issues to their cap structure. So I don't disagree that Treliving needs to approach it with caution and in a smart way. He screwed up the Klingberg and Leaves additions, but Benoit, Domi and Bertuzzi were very solid short term bets.

I'm not overly optimistic about Trelivings ability to transform this team back to contention with the recent rumours floating. He needs to make some top value trades over the next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
They do, but it's still not certain that they're NHLers yet, and taking a job of off establish NHLers is the best way to do that.

Also, as far as I know, the team still needs to be as competitive as possible while in the Matthews window, and that doesn't usually line up best with how a young player develops.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Also written by Pagnotta today:

Toronto is in talks with pending restricted free agent Timothy Liljegren on a new contract. While that takes place, I’m also told he remains available for trade. Does a new deal make him easier to move?

Kind of saying a bunch of nothing. They are actively trying to sign and trade him?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I've never seen anyone here throw a number that start with 4 on a Joshua contract. Skinner is a much better player than either Cowan or Greb right now. Do we like better players? It s a no-brainer if we can get Skinner on a 1year team friendly deal.

So the guy everybody has been talking about over the offseason because of all the intangibles he brings won't make 4M on an 88M cap as it rises 4M a year?

Your in for a surprise

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Not gonna lie it's pretty lame that Domi is trying to go cash in elsewhere. It really sucks that even a local born and bred Toronto boy who is the son of a fan favourite and was also on his way to becoming a fan favourite here just wants his bag too and doesn't care about the crest on the front. It's sad what the culture of this team and city has become and that the prestige of being a Maple Leaf seems to no longer matter.
He isn't gone until he is gone. The 4 headed monster core has eaten all the cap space. I am sure he would have easily been signable without the $1.5M overpay to Willie. Right now everybody is posturing for the best deal. Max's last deal in his prime right? Why should he subsidize Mitch and Willie?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
They have what $10M in space to sign essentially all bottom-6 players including Holloway, then Broberg? That's going to be tight for them.

Broberg is maybe 900k x 1, not sure on Holloway but 1 or both might need to be sweeteners to move Campbell's deal.

I'm not exactly sure why NSH would move picks for Timmins/Jarn, or why TOR would give up so much for a 3rd round pick.

They want culture guys, they have an opening in the bottom 6, Trotz is familiar with Jarnkrok, Timmins could likely play 3rd pair RD for them, after Josi, their offense dries up a bit on the blueline.

They have tons of picks and if they're keeping Saros, they're trying to be competitive.

He's been described as "homesick" at times in his career and that was the main draw for him to extend with Buffalo.

Pretty sure the Markham kid is ours if we want him and we won't have to outbid teams.

I could see him taking a pretty big discount to go there for a shot at a cup.

Cup is the main motivation for Skinner at this point, he hasn't even played 1 single game of post-season hockey.

Reactions: ACC1224

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
They do, but it's still not certain that they're NHLers yet, and taking a job of off establish NHLers is the best way to do that.

Also, as far as I know, the team still needs to be as competitive as possible while in the Matthews window, and that doesn't usually line up best with how a young player develops.

That's one of the reasons why this team does struggle to fill out its roster, there's nothing better for team building than ELC'S but we continually fill our team full of old dudes instead of investing in youth

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Skinner at league minimum, or some sort of buriable contract, I'm fine with. You get much higher, and it doesn't seem like a smart move.

I'd like to see Cowan, Greb etc. succeed, but you need experienced players too... and if they are better than Skinner, and you've got him at league minimum, you trade, waive or bury him.
He'll easily get more than league minimum unless he only wants to play in Toronto.

That's one of the reasons why this team does struggle to fill out its roster, there's nothing better for team building than ELC'S but we continually fill our team full of old dudes instead of investing in youth
Most of our youth is not ready or not very good. I can see Cowan getting a good shot if he plays well in pre season. After that what do we have that is better than a guy who is all but guaranteed to score 25-30 goals here.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

League minimum to an amount which can be buried still seems quite far from a 32 year old player that made 9M and had 46 points in 74 games this past season. He'd likely be inundated with offers at that amount. You may be right though if he decides to take significantly less to play for a contender.

Reactions: ToneDog

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If Skinner is bought out, I’d definitely be interested in seeing him in the blue and white. I don’t think you’re going to sign him to a league minimum contract but anything between 2.5-3 isn’t bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad