Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
We need size up front. Every year it’s proven in playoffs.
Size with speed. Maximum 1 or 2 guys can be 6 feet or under and they need to be really good.
Signing a guy who gets bought out who can maybe put up some numbers and then be useless in the playoffs is of no value.

We need to move towards a playoff style team year round even if that means sacrificing some skill or sizzle. The core 4 have enough skill. The other 8 forwards should all have size and speed.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Looks like Domi/Bert out, DeBrusk/Skinner in?
Re-arranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

Debrusk is an upgrade on Bert sure, but likely not enough to justify the price difference.

Domi would have to be quite expensive before I'd consider taking Skinner over him

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Sounds like Debrusk, Joshua and Perron are leafs if you wanna go off reports.

Need to trade kampf and Jarnkrok

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I really wanted Perron in the past and I think he brings good vet experience, but he's really really slow now. Don't like that this team continues to lose speed.

Reactions: rumman

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Skinner aint coming here. He's not Trelvivng type of player

The two Treliving type players combined for 2 goals in 7 playoff games... sorry I'm not seeing a lot of relevance to this. Signing Skinner does not preclude us from also signing players with more grit (Joshua, Trenin, Zadorov, etc).

Reactions: aingefan

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This team needs changes and the fact that we are not aggressively making some form of changes is frustrating. It's a long offseason so I'll refrain from dooming but the draft week and weekend is usually the best time to be trade active.

Perhaps not re-signing existing is the change of direction?
Been there. Done that.

July 1st. opens new opportunities.

Can't sign new players until then.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I don't understand why and how Domi isn't extended and won't be by July 1st. The match makes far too much sense. What a big time disappointment
Maybe the term/aav ask reported early on was legit, in which case stepping away makes tons of sense.

Can always double back when the market tells him he was nuts.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Skinner aint coming here. He's not Trelvivng type of player

People always say this but he's had plenty of these players through his days in Calgary. I think he understands the concept of building a rounded team.

The idea that Treliving only likes big players or hyper physical players is just wrong.

Every team needs a balance of players and every team wants more skill, especially if they are on good value contracts. Like as if Skinner on a 2-3M short term deal would be a problem scoring 25+ goals. You can still add your meatheads and role players.

People dumped on Phil Kessel as a soft one dimensional loser winger and he went on to win 3 cups.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Lets not forget pending free agent forward Jake Guentzel who is a playoff scoring machine. 38 goals and 67 points in 68 playoff games.

Domi @ $3.3 + Bert @ $5.5 mil OUT = Guentzel IN at $8.5 mil per.

There’s just no scenario you could make a Guentzel signing without having a Marner trade done.

Reactions: Pinto

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We need size up front. Every year it’s proven in playoffs.
Size with speed. Maximum 1 or 2 guys can be 6 feet or under and they need to be really good.
Signing a guy who gets bought out who can maybe put up some numbers and then be useless in the playoffs is of no value.

We need to move towards a playoff style team year round even if that means sacrificing some skill or sizzle. The core 4 have enough skill. The other 8 forwards should all have size and speed.

Florida was 11th in the league in height 186.54 cm on average.
Toronto's average was 186.24cm

In weight, Florida was 13th in the league, with an average of 90.65kg
Toronto's average was 91.17kg

We need good players, who will show up in the playoffs. We didn't lose because we weren't playoff style physical. We lost because we couldn't score, or move the puck out of our back end. I'm not sure how this isn't obvious to people.

We've actually lead the NHL, it hits per game, by team in the playoffs two years in a row.... but couldn't score, and couldn't move the puck out of our zone...

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Florida was 11th in the league in height 186.54 cm on average.
Toronto's average was 186.24cm

In weight, Florida was 13th in the league, with an average of 90.65kg
Toronto's average was 91.17kg

We need good players, who will show up in the playoffs. We didn't lose because we weren't playoff style physical. We lost because we couldn't score, or move the puck out of our back end. I'm not sure how this isn't obvious to people.

We've actually lead the NHL, it hits per game, by team in the playoffs two years in a row.... but couldn't score, and couldn't move the puck out of our zone...

Yup. Our lack of puck skills on the back end is a huge factor I think in why our entire offense keeps drying up in the playoffs.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
A huge f*** no to Skinner. This team needs to fix the loser culture, not spend another $5m or whatever on it.

Overpaid, soft, one dimensional, yup sounds like a Leaf
Signing Skinner is probably a good way for us to save having to play 89 games a season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm curious on the factors that played into that?

Tage Thompson coming back to earth maybe?
Answer:

1719423378450.png

vs.

1719423184873.png

Don't forget to deduct Shorthanded goals against from On-Ice EV GD to get to +/- stats.

38 less Goals For drop due to Tage and Tuch production.

Last edited:

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Skinner could be a great add for cheap. We need more depth scoring. I would be interested.

Really concerned with some of the names that we are linked to. Buying low doesn’t seem to be a thought right now.

Personally we should hard after Lindholm and Roy. That fills our two biggest needs. Get discounts elsewhere.
That’s my day one dream:
Lindholm - 2c with Willy locked in, and not landing in Boston. Pressure off making other big signings up front.
Roy - does the same thing with the D, it’s in good shape with his addition, and less pressure to overpay all over the place.
One of the goalies. They’re all pretty close…one of Stolarz, Brossoit, Talbot, Driedger, Talbot.
Pay Mitch his money, and conclude the sweepstakes there.
Pull an overnighted, order on some Boston Pizza and attack options for day 2.

• Haha
Reactions: Skullz and HolyCrap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad