Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
+/-

View attachment 887505

His career +/- is a billion minus, but wtf with the +15 last year?

Lots of goals scored by Skinner's linemates so that you're on the ice for more goals for than against.

1719420217187.png

So playing Left wing with 70 goal man Matthews and 40 goal man Nylander while potting 35-40 himself might make his +/- less of a concernm. :wg:

Reactions: Altair

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I have no idea why but as soon as I heard he's gonna be bought out, I thought "Jeff Skinner is going to look good on McDavid's LW next year"
I could see him taking a pretty big discount to go there for a shot at a cup.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sign me up for Jeff Skinner

The fit between Skinner and the Leafs is undeniable. Last year, it became obvious that some additional scoring outside of the Core 4 was needed. Skinner could certainly provide that and with his hometown club just up the road from his second home in Buffalo, Toronto could be an appealing destination for the veteran winger.

1719420517429.png

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
But how did he have a +15 last year?
Like what was the difference between 2 years ago, 1 year ago, and this year?

Buffalo was on a tear for awhile that season and he wasn't on the ice for as many goals against at even strength. They were not as good the year before or this past season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I have no idea why but as soon as I heard he's gonna be bought out, I thought "Jeff Skinner is going to look good on McDavid's LW next year"
McDavid already has a player that plays LW with him that scored 70 goals this year regular season and playoffs.

Perhaps you mean Skinner would look good riding shotgun with Draisaitl. :)

However your point still stands at players that want to chase the Cup would like to join winning teams and with all this buyout money could offer a nice discount.

Getting to play on the NHL #1 PP with McDavid and Draisaitl will also help your own goal production.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
The fit between Skinner and the Leafs is undeniable. Last year, it became obvious that some additional scoring outside of the Core 4 was needed. Skinner could certainly provide that and with his hometown club just up the road from his second home in Buffalo, Toronto could be an appealing destination for the veteran winger.

View attachment 887513
I have no doubt he will sign with Toronto for a very reasonable price. Whether that is a good thing for Toronto is a different story. Who knows if he can score in the playoffs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Feels like Domi and Bertuzzi won’t be re-signed from all the free agency chatter. I don’t mind this. Both guys playing their mercenary hand trying to extract unrealistic contracts from Toronto. Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Skinner could be a great add for cheap. We need more depth scoring. I would be interested.

Really concerned with some of the names that we are linked to. Buying low doesn’t seem to be a thought right now.

Personally we should hard after Lindholm and Roy. That fills our two biggest needs. Get discounts elsewhere.

Reactions: ULF_55

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Feels like Domi and Bertuzzi won’t be re-signed from all the free agency chatter. I don’t mind this. Both guys playing their mercenary hand trying to extract unrealistic contracts from Toronto. Hold on tightly, let go lightly.
Agreed. Tre has signed the players he liked pretty quickly. Both of those fellas are likely going to get both dollar and term. Doesn't make sense for us. Maybe Domi because he can play centre but not if people are offering 5Mx6 or something insane.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Does the buyout window open up tonight at 10PM ish EDT? Apparently 48 hours after the completion of the finals.

MOD:
The NHL's first buyout period of the offseason opens on June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup is awarded -- whichever is later -- and runs until June 30. With this year's playoffs running exceptionally late, it will make for a short buyout period.

Reactions: ULF_55

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I am hoping for the best, but Tre makes me nervous. The mere thought of trading their 1st in 2024 (when they don't have a 2nd or 3rd this year, or a 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th next year for an average 34 year old goalie is a fire-able offence.

Sure, trade the the pick for a player entering his prime. Chychrun, McGroarty even Ullmark. But Markstrom? Rumours of 5 years for Tanev? 6 Million for Debrusk? Oh boy. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, but not loving what I am hearing.
With a higher cap, UFAs gonna want more money. See Matty and Willie. Buyer beware.

Reactions: rumman

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
A huge f*** no to Skinner. This team needs to fix the loser culture, not spend another $5m or whatever on it.

View attachment 887513
Overpaid, soft, one dimensional, yup sounds like a Leaf

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
A huge f*** no to Skinner. This team needs to fix the loser culture, not spend another $5m or whatever on it.

I’d have no interest in skinner at $5M. I don’t think he gets that much. He’s not top of my list but if we can add some scoring punch at a bargain I’d explore it

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I’d have no interest in skinner at $5M. I don’t think he gets that much. He’s not top of my list but if we can add some scoring punch at a bargain I’d explore it
I mean if you can get him on a Duchene contract (recently bought out player, takes a huge discount because he's extremely picky about where he wants to play) I'd consider it. But Dallas has a much stronger leadership group that's seen sucess in the playoffs.

Skinner is just more of the same of what we're trying to get rid of

Reactions: Sypher04

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Guess were not re-signing anyone before July 1st.

This team needs changes and the fact that we are not aggressively making some form of changes is frustrating. It's a long offseason so I'll refrain from dooming but the draft week and weekend is usually the best time to be trade active.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

It would be very Toronto for a team that struggles to score in the playoffs to sign a guy who has never played a playoff game.

Reactions: JKG33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad