Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Domi is all after the whistle grit. That’s needed too, but it’s not like he hit a lot or dominated along the boards. He’d be good with Matthews, but no need to overpay him.
Which is fine because we needed that too. There's a attitude factor there that I love

Reactions: Duffman955

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Disappointed that we couldn't bring back either Bertuzzi or Domi. Especially Domi, considering how much he's been saying he's home and doesn't want to play anywhere else

I thought it was imperative to have some grit in the top 6

You probably want your grit to have more hits than Jarnkrok did in 30 less games. Domi’s handful of scraps was fun and Bert played through abuse in front of the net/on the boards pretty ok but I genuinely can’t remember a single big hit either of the two of them made this year. Domi isn’t really a forechecker and Bert isn’t fast enough or a hard enough hitter to really make a difference there. Grittiest part about both of them is their last names.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
personally a lot of people here want Roy but honestly for at 6M, for me its kind of contract you will regret.

I would go in an under to radar player who's in my mind as good and maybe even better would will not cost as much and It's Alexandre Carrier.

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Carrier
Benoit-???

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
You probably want your grit to have more hits than Jarnkrok did in 30 less games. Domi’s handful of scraps was fun and Bert played through abuse in front of the net/on the boards pretty ok but I genuinely can’t remember a single big hit either of the two of them made this year. Domi isn’t really a forechecker and Bert isn’t fast enough or a hard enough hitter to really make a difference there. Grittiest part about both of them is their last names.

Me neither. I do recall Domi going after someone that went after Mathews though - I like that. But otherwise no hits. Frankly I think we should move on from both if the asking is anywhere close to north of $5M. FWIW I also think Jarncrok is exactly the type of vanilla player we can replace with ease. Does not hit, does not physically engage, not fast or crafty enough with the puck to create separation, weaker shot threat. He's filler.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Me neither. I do recall Domi going after someone that went after Mathews though - I like that. But otherwise no hits. Frankly I think we should move on from both if the asking is anywhere close to north of $5M. FWIW I also think Jarncrok is exactly the type of vanilla player we can replace with ease. Does not hit, does not physically engage, not fast or crafty enough with the puck to create separation, weaker shot threat. He's filler.

Yeah that’s what I’m getting at, Jarnkrok had more hits than Domi in 28 less games and he’s looked at as a vanilla guy that doesn’t engage. I like Domi as a depth scorer or riding shotgun with Matthews and a faster more violent forechecker on LW but 5+ is insane for that job. I like the psycho mentality but he needs to create space, force turnovers, and put up 50+ points if he’s gonna make that much.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Based on all the names connected to Toronto...

1719418122912.png
1719418134486.png
1719418152369.png

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Yeah that’s what I’m getting at, Jarnkrok had more hits than Domi in 28 less games and he’s looked at as a vanilla guy that doesn’t engage. I like Domi as a depth scorer or riding shotgun with Matthews and a faster more violent forechecker on LW but 5+ is insane for that job. I like the psycho mentality but he needs to create space, force turnovers, and put up 50+ points if he’s gonna make that much.

I play hockey with a bunch of guys that played with and against Domi growing up and that was/is the feedback they shared with me before he signed here - that he'll disappear for long stretches then in meaningless situations just all of a sudden engage and throw a massive hit, or drop the gloves, when his team's up 6-1 or something. Just makes no sense. Also said he's always the least liked guy in the dressing room. Obv things could have changed - and I did like him beside Mathews.

Surprising to hear that hits stat.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I could see the Leafs signing Skinner on the cheap.

He's terrible defensively and along the boards but can't deny his skating and goal scoring ability.

If they can get him cheap, he'd be a really good upgrade in adding more scoring.

If the Leafs make trades and give up Robertson, Skinner would replace him very well.

Reactions: ACC1224

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
JG - Pageau would be a very solid pick up if he is indeed bought out.

Skinner could do well here as well but our bottom 6 would have to be very defensively responsible.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
JG - Pageau would be a very solid pick up if he is indeed bought out.

Skinner could do well here as well but our bottom 6 would have to be very defensively responsible.

Skinner would be playing in an offensive role in the top 6. That's his thing. He's a good goal scorer.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Tbh I would sign Tanev for 7 years to get the cap hit down as much as possible knowing he’ll be LTIRed halfway through

Lets make cap circumvention great again!

Actually this makes a ton of sense. Heavily front load the deal and it makes it super cheap to buy out in like 4 years if necessary

Last edited:

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I have no idea why but as soon as I heard he's gonna be bought out, I thought "Jeff Skinner is going to look good on McDavid's LW next year"
They have what $10M in space to sign essentially all bottom-6 players including Holloway, then Broberg? That's going to be tight for them.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I have no idea why but as soon as I heard he's gonna be bought out, I thought "Jeff Skinner is going to look good on McDavid's LW next year"

He's been described as "homesick" at times in his career and that was the main draw for him to extend with Buffalo.

Pretty sure the Markham kid is ours if we want him and we won't have to outbid teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad