Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
No reliable report suggests Treliving approached Marner, Matthews, Nylander or Tavares for a trade.

All reliable reports suggest they want to stay here, which is all I suggested.

If anything, there are only reports Treliving wants to extend Marner and Tavares. He already extended Matthews and Nylander.

Reports actually suggested the signed of Nylander happened after shopping him and not liking the returns.

Do you think there are or were trades on the table for those players that would have helped this team?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
All reliable reports suggest they want to stay here, which is all I suggested.

Reports actually suggested the signed of Nylander happened after shopping him and not liking the returns.

Do you think there are or were trades on the table for those players that would have helped this team?

Most players want to stay on a team that doesn't want to trade them. They weren't shopped very much if at all, especially not Marner, Tavares or Matthews. So sounds like the players want to stay and the management want to keep them.

I don't think they ever shopped Nylander seriously and quite frankly I don't see anything that suggest they shopped him, moreso listened to offers -- and they still decided to give him an immense contract. So I'm not surprised they never receive anything remotely good enough to go that far. If they wanted to make a trade, I'm confident they could have found a pretty good deal in some way.

Probably? This is all speculation and we don't have any concrete reports of offers of any kind to talk about. Players didn't want to waive their NMCs when they weren't approached to do so for whatever reason that might be.

Reactions: Rocker13 and ULF_55

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If you think he's matured, you aren't paying attention.... sorry.
Do you have some inside knowledge I'm not aware of? Because the points I made with LL and Babcock at least somewhat answer that.

f you think what Matthews did ONE time, is worse, I'm not sure what to say. There are no reports Matthews had a run in with every coach. There aren't reports Matthews was suspended for insubordination.
Yes, I think pulling your pants down and harassing a security guard in public is worse than having an argument with your coach. Sorry.

I mean, I'll chalk it up to young kids doing dumb stuff, But the team isn't going to do anything; he's Auston Matthews, right? An in-house suspension, while warranted, would've just blown the story up even more.

Kadri's book, and inability to accept responsibilities, is proof... it's so obvious that it's laughable.
Have you even read it? I mean, even Nazem may admit to having issues when he was younger, but what do people want: a personal apology? It's not his fault they lost against Boston, and it's not his fault he was traded for junk.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Not sure I 100% believe he tried to trade him.
I could see him investigating trading him, seeing the potential return like you would with every player.

BUT!!!

If there was no interest in Nylander (that was serious) Treliving did not have to offer him $11.5mm.

Treliving would know the interest in Nylander, and if there was very little interest he wouldn't have to outbid teams for his service. To me either there was interest and it was enough interest that he had to overpay to keep him, or he is just a poor negotiator.

My guess Treliving investigated all the assets values that could be moved.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
It wouldn't matter if their were zero 2c's availible in FA next season, Tavares needs to be moved on from. Short of a sweetheart 2.5 or 3 mill a year deal it's time to move on.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think now I will be surprised if Liljergren goes for anything more than future considerations.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Do you have some inside knowledge I'm not aware of? Because the points I made with LL and Babcock at least somewhat answer that.

Yes, I think pulling your pants down and harassing a security guard in public is worse than having an argument with your coach. Sorry.

I mean, I'll chalk it up to young kids doing dumb stuff, But the team isn't going to do anything; he's Auston Matthews, right? An in-house suspension, while warranted, would've just blown the story up even more.

Have you even read it? I mean, even Nazem may admit to having issues when he was younger, but what do people want: a personal apology? It's not his fault they lost against Boston, and it's not his fault he was traded for junk.
Yes, Babcock answered that.

Is Babcock disappointed that Kadri apparently has not learned much?

“I’m not spending a whole lot of time on that,” Babcock said. “There is nothing I can do about it now. When you prepare your team, you try to prepare them for all situations, so you don’t cross the line. I think you have to play real hard. I think you have to look after yourself but you can’t cross the line.

“Any time you leave decisions in someone else’s hands, then it’s not within your control. I think in anything in life, you want to be in control and you have to own everything. You have to own your play, you have to own your discipline, you have to own what’s going on.

“In the end, Naz has someone else making decisions whether he is playing or not.”

-----------------------------

James Mirtle, editor in chief of the Athletic Canada, had this to say in his piece titled “A lot went wrong for the Maple Leafs in Game 2, but Nazem Kadri’s foolish play could cost them the series”:

“The fact of the matter is that what Kadri did was much, much worse than any other infraction in this game. And it’s going to cost the Leafs. Potentially a lot.”

-----------------------------

Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun’s postgame story was titled “Maple Leafs need to say goodbye to Kadri”.

He sums up his piece in two sentences at the beginning:

“If they could ever depend on Kadri, which once upon a time they could, they can’t any more. If they ever believed him to be a central part of a contending team, they can’t honestly be thinking that way after today and into the future.”

----------------------------------

If you've ever listened to Kadri speak about the Leafs, he completely lacks any ability to accept blame for being traded, for being responsible for why he was shipped out. He did this after winning the Cup, he's said things since being with Calgary, and he's upset Dubas traded him. He's spoken many times on this, I encourage you to seek it out. How can anyone listen to his words, and not see that he lacks accountability, an ability to accept blame for repeated actions....

An argument with a coach?

Every coach? Insubordination? Refusing to do what the staff wanted of you? Many, many suspensions... how many has he had, seven, eight? Internal suspension. Having your parents called to the office? Being publicly labelled immature... I mean, you seem to think this was a simple one time argument with a coach. Or is this all something you've chosen to ignore over time?

Anyway, Kadri sucked as a 3C, and the trade sucked too. Years later, people seem to still have their head stuck in the ground, and ignore reality. Enough on this, if people want to ignore the reality... fair enough.

Reactions: Mckay

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think now I will be surprised if Liljergren goes for anything more than future considerations.

I think they can make a trade work for some form of value if a team needs a capable sub 26 years old RHD that is locked up to a short-term deal. Future considerations would be insane considering 5-6 months ago he was probably in the medium range return. His contract doesn't remove all that value in a manner of months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad