Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

horner

May 22, 2007
It was a mistake in hindsight for sure, but at least get the context right.

Kerfoot was not kept over McCann. They went 4F / 4D / 1G instead of 7F / 3D / 1G.

Holl was kept as the 4th D and they moved a prospect and a 7th round pick to Pittsburgh (the ultimate losers in all of this) for McCann so that they could expose both Kerfoot and McCann and guarantee they kept one of them.

Yes, Holl was not worth keeping in the end. If not for the McCann move, they would have lost Kerfoot instead. If they kept Kerfoot/McCann + another forward, they would have lost Holl and had a gaping hole at RD.
In McCann's first season with Seattle he played Cener because of injuries and the Wennberg trade to the Rangers .
He also played LW and C for the Penguins before the expansion draft..

That is coming from the Hockey News but what do the know.

He had 29 goals that season .

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Yep.

Seems Berube never liked him from the beginning.

No coach nor GM is perfect.

From the condensed game yesterday (was tied up in something last night couldn't watch), it doesn't look like the current Leafs defense is all the good anyway, with or without Liljegren. Again, only watched the condensed target practice the Bruins held in the Leafs zone, so it was just limited highlights of being overwhelmed in the Leafs zone.
Common sense tells me we’re much better with lily in the line up than without but your right no coach is perfect

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If Kerfoot is on the market why hasn’t Dubas moved a good player for him? Asking for a friend………

Common sense tells me we’re much better with lily in the line up than without but your right no coach is perfect
Well, I for one won’t look back on the Berube years ruing that big mistake of not playing Lilly, I mean it’s a game changer that he’s not playing……….

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
With some of the trades on his resume, an allergy might not be a bad thing..! :laugh:

He won't have a choice to make something happen very soon unless Jarnkrok and Hakanpaa are nowhere near ready to return. I think Dewar has been good to go for awhile since he's been at practice.

Reactions: stickty111

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Kadri screwed himself. Seriously, it’s time to get past that ill conceived grudge.

At this point, I’d hold off on any trades unless necessary. If this team continues to underperform, we might be further ahead doing a blow up the team trade strategy, than try to bandaid a couple of positions.

Reactions: uncleben

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Kadri screwed himself. Seriously, it’s time to get past that ill conceived grudge.

At this point, I’d hold off on any trades unless necessary. If this team continues to underperform, we might be further ahead doing a blow up the team trade strategy, than try to bandaid a couple of positions.

Thankfully our 1st round pick is top 10 protected so there's some form of relief if the Leafs have a bad season.

I'd make any trade right now to get rid of cap space though. The sooner the better. But nobody really wants your unwanted pieces easily so they've shot themselves in the foot.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Kadri screwed himself
How exactly? Players have come back from worst mistakes if you're talking about the Boston stuff.

However, If the team didn't instill this faux-globetrotter mentality under Shanny/KD then perhaps the team would've had the requisite push back against Boston to not have a player do an over the top compensatory hit that was made due to his team getting bullied both on the scoreboard and on the ice.

I'm sure Nazem is fine though, given he went on a won a cup.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
How exactly? Players have come back from worst mistakes if you're talking about the Boston stuff.

However, If the team didn't instill this faux-globetrotter mentality under Shanny/KD then perhaps the team would've had the requisite push back against Boston to not have a player do an over the top compensatory hit that was made due to his team getting bullied both on the scoreboard and on the ice.

I'm sure Nazem is fine though, given he went on a won a cup.

I find it hard to believe that anyone is unaware of what transpired with Kadri and the team at this point. You are unaware that he had run in's with nearly every coach both on the Marlies and Leafs? You are unaware that he faced internal suspensions for a lack of maturity and insubordination, had his parents called into the GM's office to deal with his issues, and have forgotten that he was called immature in public and the press.. In 2015 Shanahan said... “We like Nazem Kadri,” “We expect a certain level of professionalism. It’s time for him to start making better decisions.” and yet, he didn't start making better decisions... at all. It's far more than a couple of playoff suspensions, there were internal, and league suspensions far before that happened. There were suspensions in the playoffs, after he left the Leafs. He's just an undisciplined player, who lacks the ability to accept responsibility for his actions. He also plain sucked as a 3C.

When you work with a player, and try to get them to make better decisions, and have a more mature approach... when they eventually don't... they are going to get moved. As anyone who is a parent knows... when there is a kid who you say, shape up, or else... there is eventually an or else... and you don't blame the parent for enforcing the "or else"... Kadri still hasn't shown he's matured at all, or has taken any responsibility for his actions... I mean that's clear to see, for anyone taking a rational look at the situation.

Congrats on his one cup, after hurting his team multiple times previously. Such a critical guy, Colorado walked away too.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

They aren't blowing up with Sundin Matthews under contract.

Heck, Penguins won't let their GM blow it up with 37 year old Crosby onboard.

Tavares money will be all that is available in July. Hopefully.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Thankfully our 1st round pick is top 10 protected so there's some form of relief if the Leafs have a bad season.

I'd make any trade right now to get rid of cap space though. The sooner the better. But nobody really wants your unwanted pieces easily so they've shot themselves in the foot.
The other challenge is who to trade? Last week it was Lilly... but then Myers and Timmins have sucked... so maybe Lilly is our best options? Jarnkrok... but he's injured.. Kampf.. but we'd need a replacement. Robertson... but we'd lost the potential, and lose the trade... yes our Preseason MVP, is doing very little. It's hard to make a trade with marginal pieces, and get value back... so until we determine who we are keeping, and what we need.. a trade doesn't make sense, just to open up cap space... if we end up needing those players.

You are probably right about not blowing it up... but we should be at the point, where if Berube can't turn it around... there really isn't hope that this group will ever achieve anything, Tavares money or not.

Reactions: ULF_55

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I find it hard to believe that anyone is unaware of what transpired with Kadri and the team at this point. You are unaware that he had run in's with nearly every coach both on the Marlies and Leafs? You are unaware that he faced internal suspensions for a lack of maturity and insubordination, had his parents called into the GM's office to deal with his issues, and have forgotten that he was called immature in public and the press.. In 2015 Shanahan said... “We like Nazem Kadri,” “We expect a certain level of professionalism. It’s time for him to start making better decisions.” and yet, he didn't start making better decisions... at all. It's far more than a couple of playoff suspensions, there were internal, and league suspensions far before that happened. There were suspensions in the playoffs, after he left the Leafs. He's just an undisciplined player, who lacks the ability to accept responsibility for his actions. He also plain sucked as a 3C.

When you work with a player, and try to get them to make better decisions, and have a more mature approach... when they eventually don't... they are going to get moved. As anyone who is a parent knows... when there is a kid who you say, shape up, or else... there is eventually an or else... and you don't blame the parent for enforcing the "or else"... Kadri still hasn't shown he's matured at all, or has taken any responsibility for his actions... I mean that's clear to see, for anyone taking a rational look at the situation.

Congrats on his one cup, after hurting his team multiple times previously. Such a critical guy, Colorado walked away too.
Colorado is regretting walking away from Kadri

Choosing Nichkushkin at 6.25M vs Kadri at 7M.

They had to deal Byram to get Middlestadt who while good 2C isnt enough to make up for loss of Byram who is becoming a very good player the Avs spent time and resources developing before giving in due to 2C hole and thinking Byram wouldnt develop further after his injuries

Nichkushkin is a legit head case and player whose lack of control has cost the Avs back to back playoffs now.

Kadri wanted to get paid and at 31 or so Avs thought it was better to invest into a younger player in Nuke. Turned out disastourous for the Avs so far.

Kadri has turned things around and found personal and team success elsewhere. Leafs are still looking for team success and growing past where they were when Kadri was dealt.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The other challenge is who to trade? Last week it was Lilly... but then Myers and Timmins have sucked... so maybe Lilly is our best options? Jarnkrok... but he's injured.. Kampf.. but we'd need a replacement. Robertson... but we'd lost the potential, and lose the trade... yes our Preseason MVP, is doing very little. It's hard to make a trade with marginal pieces, and get value back... so until we determine who we are keeping, and what we need.. a trade doesn't make sense, just to open up cap space... if we end up needing those players.

You are probably right about not blowing it up... but we should be at the point, where if Berube can't turn it around... there really isn't hope that this group will ever achieve anything, Tavares money or not.

Some fluke Washington like Cup in a decade?

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

Poor Kyle being hampered by upper management /ownership yet again. The guy just can't catch a break.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Timmins has been pretty good? He's cheap-ish and shown to be capable on the bottom pairing. Liljegren should be playing but unfortunately he isn't so that's part of the problem. You can't have 3M in the pressbox just "in case". At some point we won't have LTIR to go over the cap with.

Value won't get better in a weeks time. The Leafs don't need to make a world class trade. They just need to move a piece, or two, away to create more room. If no one wants our available pieces, then I guess Treliving is going to be in a world of hurt and definitely isn't up to the job. He put himself in that position by sitting on his hands for 3 months.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not just that, but all all of the 11 mil players had NMC that they didn’t want to waive.

No reliable report suggests Treliving approached Marner, Matthews, Nylander or Tavares for a trade.

If anything, there are only reports Treliving wants to extend Marner and Tavares. He already extended Matthews and Nylander.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
With some of the trades on his resume, an allergy might not be a bad thing..! :laugh:

Considering the trade demands of Tkachuk, getting what most most saw as a 1st line winger and a 2/3 defenseman, I’m not sure how anyone could criticize that trade. Huberdeau didn’t live up to the new contract last year, but he’s off to a good start this season, and Weegar has been a borderline #1 d at times.

He paid to unload an underperforming Monahan as a cap dump, but at the time he was a 5 million dollar 4th liner.

He paid some good picks for Travis Homonic and Mike Stone, but established defenders cost assets to acquire.

His only really bad trade in Calgary was unloading Bennett for a 2nd rounder.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

That's a lovely story. The key point is here; the rest of the post is an exaggeration of this point.

Sure, he matured, in fact, so much so that he earned a pretty nice contract extension from the taskmaster Lou Lamoriello, of all people. He also earned Babcock's trust (for better or worse) in becoming a decent shutdown center.

So, I don't get that angle at all.

I understand that for some fans at the time, it was far easier to consolidate all the problems down to "Kadri costs us the two series vs. Boston." But I'm sorry; it's lazy and, as it's turned out, incorrect. Also, it's probably not nice to be reminded of how bad that trade was, but it was, so holding against Nazem isn't that constructive.

But while we were on the subject of digging up on players, Matthews (the now captain) did something far worse than anything Kadri has done on or off the ice. Should we have him on our shit list as well? Is he capable of maturing? Hopefully...

Also, Kadri wasn't kept in Colorado due to the cap; they would have liked to have kept him, but when Treliving is handing out big contracts like candy on Halloween; how do you say no?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
That's a lovely story. The key point is here; the rest of the post is an exaggeration of this point.

Sure, he matured, in fact, so much so that he earned a pretty nice contract extension from the taskmaster Lou Lamoriello, of all people. He also earned Babcock's trust (for better or worse) in becoming a decent shutdown center.

So, I don't get that angle at all.

I understand that for some fans at the time, it was far easier to consolidate all the problems down to "Kadri costs us the two series vs. Boston." But I'm sorry; it's lazy and, as it's turned out, incorrect. Also, it's probably not nice to be reminded of how bad that trade was, but it was, so holding against Nazem isn't that constructive.

But while we were on the subject of digging up on players, Matthews (the now captain) did something far worse than anything Kadri has done on or off the ice. Should we have him on our shit list as well? Is he capable of maturing? Hopefully...

Also, Kadri wasn't kept in Colorado due to the cap; they would have liked to have kept him, but we are giving hands out big contracts like candy on Halloween; how do you say no?
If you think he's matured, you aren't paying attention.... sorry.

If you think what Matthews did ONE time, is worse, I'm not sure what to say. There are no reports Matthews had a run in with every coach. There aren't reports Matthews was suspended for insubordination. No media releases about his lack of maturity in game prep, or behaviour.

Kadri's book, and inability to accept responsibilities, is proof... it's so obvious that it's laughable.

I mean, if people wish to ignore the obvious for their personal reasons, fair enough... It's like the parent who ignores, or won't admit their child is THE problem, when it should be obvious.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad