Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
What’s their structure? I feel like Marner would fit perfectly in their structure being one of the best defensive forwards in the game and still being on the doorstep of hitting 100 points each season.

What’s their structure? I feel like Marner would fit perfectly in their structure being one of the best defensive forwards in the game and still being on the doorstep of hitting 100 points each season.
I don't think there is any world where Carolina would pay Marner what he wants.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Wonder if this would fly?

Marner signed at 12 mil for 8 years then traded for Elias Pettersson.
That money needs to be allocated elsewhere in the Line up, that trade makes no sense and make the Leafs worse imo………

I don't think there is any world where Carolina would pay Marner what he wants.
You could say that about every team in the league imo……..

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Every team in the league will pay Marner what he wants. Teams aren't stupid. They recognize his value.
I think there are some teams with internal salary structures that would not want to pay Marner more than the amount their best player already earns. I think Carolina is one of those teams.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I think there are some teams with internal salary structures that would not want to pay Marner more than the amount their best player already earns. I think Carolina is one of those teams.
Teams aren't going to avoid signing one of the best players in the world because their current best players are worse.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I think we can agree to disagree on an Aho versus Marner comparison.
You can think whatever you want, but Carolina would understand that Marner is better, and regardless, no team is going to throw away a chance at adding one of the best players in the world for nothing because one of their players is paid less. Marner would actually be a great fit for Carolina. Hopefully Toronto isn't so stupid that they let it get to that point.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yep, he wasn't great his first game of the season.

Last two games really indicate what the team is capable of doing.

This team played and sucked 2 games straight.

So what can they do now?

At a loss.
When 1 game determines suckage what does 2 games determine, extreme suckage?
They were willing to do what it takes for all of five games, I guess they decided winning is too hard……..

Desperately wanted Lindholm.

Absolutely hate that not only did we not get him, but that the Bruins did.
👍

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Desperately wanted Lindholm.

Absolutely hate that not only did we not get him, but that the Bruins did.
I think if you asked Boston fans how they feel about Lindholm right now, they would likely say that they hate that Boston signed him. That is going to end up being a terrible contract.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
You don't win a cup with 2 guys though, you win a cup with an entire roster.

Matthews and Marner are 0.87 ppg and 0.88 ppg in the playoffs.

Barkov and Tkachuck who just won a cup are 0.86 ppg and 0.83 ppg in the playoffs.

Yes, it's true... our guys are 4.5 million more expensive then there top two guys, so we lose surplus value here.

But we also have a surplus value on guys like Knies, OEL, Tanev, Stolarz, etc.

Tavares is negative value, about -7 or -6 in surplus value.

Once they allocate Tavares' 11 million properly, our chances improve a lot more imo.
Except the surplus value of Woll, Knies and McCabe will be gone next season due to their new contracts and will take up more than the -7 value of JT’s contract comes next season.

I think if you asked Boston fans how they feel about Lindholm right now, they would likely say that they hate that Boston signed him. That is going to end up being a terrible contract.
He is not a 1C but would be good being a 2C.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Except the surplus value of Woll, Knies and McCabe will be gone next season due to their new contracts and will take up more than the -7 value of JT’s contract comes next season.
This is true, lol.

We have to spend an extra 10 MILLION on Knies, Woll and McCabe’s combined cap hits. That’s a scary thought.

We lose 10 million in surplus value basically. Tavares’ negative surplus value is around -6 but those guys are +10 only for this year. The surplus value leans more to this year. It makes me want to go all in on this year.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
This is true, lol.

We have to spend an extra 10 MILLION on Knies, Woll and McCabe’s combined cap hits. That’s a scary thought.

We lose 10 million in surplus value basically. Tavares’ negative surplus value is around -6 but those guys are +10 only for this year. The surplus value leans more to this year. It makes me want to go all in on this year.
Going all in means trading JT now

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Going all in means trading JT now
That’s extremely unlikely to happen.

To me, going all in would involve trading Liljegren, Jarnkrok, and possibly Kampf to obtain cap space and then trade for a top 4 defensemen and a 3C, while managing the salary through retention on those acquisitions. Something like Granlund and a top 4 d would be an epic deadline.

Knies-Matthews-Domi
Robertson-Granlund-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Marner

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Top D-Hakanpaa

Stolarz
Woll

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Yep, he wasn't great his first game of the season.

Last two games really indicate what the team is capable of doing.

This team played and sucked 2 games straight.

So what can they do now?

At a loss.
When 1 game determines suckage what does 2 games determine, extreme suckage?

What should the coach do? He gave Liljegren a game and he played brutal. Can’t keep him in the lineup.

Next time Liljegren gets a chance, he better do something with it.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
That’s extremely unlikely to happen.

To me, going all in would involve trading Liljegren, Jarnkrok, and possibly Kampf to obtain cap space and then trade for a top 4 defensemen and a 3C, while managing the salary through retention on those acquisitions. Something like Granlund and a top 4 d would be an epic deadline.

Knies-Matthews-Domi
Robertson-Granlund-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Marner

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Top D-Hakanpaa

Stolarz
Woll

How do we fit Granlund’s 5 million dollar cap hit? San Jose has no retention spots left. Sounds expensive to have a 3rd party retain 1/2 instead of the usual 1/4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad