Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Tavares, Rielly and Marner need to be moved on from in that order. If by the 20 game mark this team is still playing like it has recently I'd pull the plug on this roster and start moving a few big pieces.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I'm pretty doom and gloom and it's not because of two losses. I don't have faith and see no reason for faith. I believe in my soul that Marner/Matthews will never amount to more than 3-6 playoff wins. I would try a retool around Matthews/Willy and reuse the 22M from Marner/JT for a vastly altered look of the same product. If you're playing a card game with the exact same deck and lose 10 straight games, shouldn't you adjust your deck building? Or just keep trying and pray for good luck? It's not even hate at this point, it's stale and I doubt the players even believe in each other, they have so many bad memories here other than their salaries

Reactions: arso40

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I'm pretty doom and gloom and it's not because of two losses. I don't have faith and see no reason for faith. I believe in my soul that Marner/Matthews will never amount to more than 3-6 playoff wins. I would try a retool around Matthews/Willy and reuse the 22M from Marner/JT for a vastly altered look of the same product. If you're playing a card game with the exact same deck and lose 10 straight games, shouldn't you adjust your deck building? Or just keep trying and pray for good luck? It's not even hate at this point, it's stale and I doubt the players even believe in each other, they have so many bad memories here other than their salaries
You don't win a cup with 2 guys though, you win a cup with an entire roster.

Matthews and Marner are 0.87 ppg and 0.88 ppg in the playoffs.

Barkov and Tkachuck who just won a cup are 0.86 ppg and 0.83 ppg in the playoffs.

Yes, it's true... our guys are 4.5 million more expensive then there top two guys, so we lose surplus value here.

But we also have a surplus value on guys like Knies, OEL, Tanev, Stolarz, etc.

Tavares is negative value, about -7 or -6 in surplus value.

Once they allocate Tavares' 11 million properly, our chances improve a lot more imo.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

Barkov and Tkachuck who just won a cup are 0.86 ppg and 0.83 ppg in the playoffs.

Yes, it's true... our guys are 4.5 million more expensive then there top two guys, so we lose surplus value here.

Once they allocate Tavares' 11 million properly, our chances improve a lot more imo.
You also have Rielly, Kampf and Liljegren playing below their salary and are signed beyond this season.

Reactions: arso40

Punch Drunk Loov

Dec 6, 2011

Do you think Tavares won't be resigned?

The surplus value on Knies and Stolarz is for the current year only.

I just don't think the issue has been the rest of the roster. I think the issue is the big guys don't perform when the moment is key. This is going to sound goofy but I really felt a pit in my stomach when Matthews had 2 games to get to 70 goals and couldn't. I don't think the duo of Matthews/Marner are built for the unjust slog of the playoffs and something has got to give. If Tavares is the only casualty, I don't think that's enough, he at least won them a series

Punch Drunk Loov

Dec 6, 2011
In addition, if you want to point at the Leafs depth and say it isn't good enough. Well:

- We have no money for better depth because the core 4's cap hit
- We've wasted surplus performances from depth. Kerfoot, Spezza, Brodie, Woll off the top of my head way out performed their pay in the playoffs. Matthews/Marner need to eventually carry multiple series and I strongly believe they can't do that. We've had heroic depth at times

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Unfortunately the consistently main competitive spirit we have seen from Marner, Matthew, and Nylander has centred around their compensation.

Too late to move on from Nylander and Matthews, leaving Marner and Tavares as the only remaining options to be moved on from that can result in impactful change.

Being those 2 back, and you are signing up for the same bullshit we have had for the past 7 seasons.

Good luck keeping your fanbase alive.

A lot of other sports and options competing for their interests that actually provide a compelling reason to emotionally invest vs running the same futile crew for the next 5-8 years.

We deserve better.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Do you think Tavares won't be resigned?

The surplus value on Knies and Stolarz is for the current year only.

I just don't think the issue has been the rest of the roster. I think the issue is the big guys don't perform when the moment is key. This is going to sound goofy but I really felt a pit in my stomach when Matthews had 2 games to get to 70 goals and couldn't. I don't think the duo of Matthews/Marner are built for the unjust slog of the playoffs and something has got to give. If Tavares is the only casualty, I don't think that's enough, he at least won them a series
If they do bring back Tavares it will be half the cost but I'd prefer they don't. I'd prefer a playmaking C like Granlund given that this team is loaded with shoot first players.

Over the next year I'd like to see them move on from Tavares, Liljegren, Kampf and Jarnkrok and use that 18 million of cap space on a 2c, 3c and a top 3 D.

That will obviously prove to be a massive challenge given the center market is extremely thin.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Unfortunately the consistently main competitive spirit we have seen from Marner, Matthew, and Nylander has centred around their compensation.

Too late to move on from Nylander and Matthews, leaving Marner and Tavares as the only remaining options to be moved on from that can result in impactful change.

Being those 2 back, and you are signing up for the same bullshit we have had for the past 7 seasons.

Good luck keeping your fanbase alive.

A lot of other sports and options competing for their interests that actually provide a compelling reason to emotionally invest vs running the same futile crew for the next 5-8 years.

We deserve better.
Geting rid of half your problems is better than nothing I suppose, maybe that helps the remaining problems?

If they do bring back Tavares it will be half the cost but I'd prefer they don't. I'd prefer a playmaking C like Granlund given that this team is loaded with shoot first players.

Over the next year I'd like to see them move on from Tavares, Liljegren, Kampf and Jarnkrok and use that 18 million of cap space on a 2c, 3c and a top 3 D.

That will obviously prove to be a massive challenge given the center market is extremely thin.
Culture change, or at least a start yo changing the culture……..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad