Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
We currently have one 2nd and a 5th 6th and 7th in the next draft

We want to add at the TDL so i'd be happy getting a pick for Liljegren rather than another body back
Bad teams usually want picks back so even a 3rd would be useful if we're trying to grab a middle 6C
I'd rather stay away from rentals if they can. That's why there are hardly any picks.

Reactions: Zero1 and rumman

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Korczak is another, could get young real fast back there if we chose to do so.
Perhaps, but Jiricek, in particular, for me.

I'd probably annoy people with what I'd move for him. But if this kid is around where Dobson was around '20 or where Harley was 12-18 months ago, you can't get those guys unless you're picking quite high in the draft, and this team won't and can't do that. So, you've got to go for it while the player's value is low, and while it is a gamble, its payoff could be enormous.

Even if they managed to get a pick in that range, it would not fit Matthews' current contract and the window.

Last edited:
Reactions: Malachi Crunch

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I'd probably annoy people with what I'd move for him. But if this kid is around where Dobson was around '20 or where Harley was 12-18 months ago, you can't get those guys unless you're picking quite high in the draft, and this team won't and can't do that. So, you've got to go for it while the player's value is low, and while it is a gamble, its payoff could be enormous.

Even if they managed to get picked in that range, it doesn't fit with Matthews' current contract and the window.

Yeah, I wonder what the ask is for us.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Even if they managed to get picked in that range, it doesn't fit with Matthews' current contract and the window.

I can’t possibly see what we have to offer for him.

Lilly and Minten? Probably not enough. Would we do Cowan?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I was reading the commentary around the training camp, fans weren't impressed...I guess the coach wasn't either, hence he is not playing.

I think Cowan would be a hard limit.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

I would, but I'd consider going even further.

Yeah, I wonder what the ask is for us.
A lot, I'd imagine, but you'd be hoping for frustration on the part of CBJ management to get the price down as much as possible.

Last edited:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Jack McBain
To Utah: Timothy Liljegren + David Kampf

Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Pacioretty - McBain - Nylander
Lorentz - Holmberg - Jarnkrok
Reaves

Rielly - Tanev
OEL - McCabe
Benoit - Hakanpaa
Timmins

Stolarz - Woll

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Not that anyone cares but I posted in here for months that the Leafs should acquire McBain when he was coming out of college and it was looking like he wouldn't sign with Minnesota.

I watched him a lot when he played for the Jr. Canadiens and loved his game.

Having him playing centre on the 4th line with Kampf gone would be really great.

Reactions: conFABulator

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not that anyone cares but I posted in here for months that the Leafs should acquire McBain when he was coming out of college and it was looking like he wouldn't sign with Minnesota.

I watched him a lot when he played for the Jr. Canadiens and loved his game.

Having him playing centre on the 4th line with Kampf gone would be really great.

I think the majority of us wanted the Leafs to trade for/sign him but his rights were traded to Arizona then he signed there. That boat has sailed.

It does feel like a Liljegren to Utah trade might make a lot of sense, they have cap space and some future assets to probably trade to keep their depth at a decent level while Marino and Durzi are out long-term.

Our own 2nd round pick back might be the more sensible return straight up. Maybe taking on the rights to Soderstrom? Maybe taking back Curtis Douglas to beef up the Marlies center depth? Not all these, but probably one or two of these.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I doubt we'd be the team to pull it off but Jiricek has yet to play a game in CBJ.

Tough fit for us I think. They probably want value, and we don't have a lot to give for a bit of a question mark. Can't say I've seen a lot of him recently either.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Tough fit for us I think. They probably want value, and we don't have a lot to give for a bit of a question mark. Can't say I've seen a lot of him recently either.

Me neither, I just know outside of Niemela and Danford in 2-4 years (if he works out), RD is pretty thin.

I see Korczak and Jiricek there and I wanna jump on on that chance.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Steve Kouleas: “And welcome back to the show. Steve Kouleaus and Jason Strudwick here, and we’ve got the games from last night (Tuesday); we’ll start focusing on the games tonight (Wednesday). We’ll do that in just a bit, but up next, Sirius XM and Power Play Insider NHL Network, the Fourth Period, we welcome Dave Pagnotta back.

Okay, it’s early, but we already have some news here. I’m on the Fourth Period. Folks, great information as you tweet out and write about a trade; the early news about a trade might involve number 37 on the Maple Leafs. Is this correct? Timothy Liljegren wants out.

Dave Pagnotta: “Well, he hasn’t asked or demanded a trade, but if he’s not going to be used regularly this season, and he thinks he should be. He would welcome a change. And I believe that message has been relayed to Brad Treliving and company in Toronto. And I also believe he’s in the lineup today (Wednesday night). Correct me if I’m wrong, if they announce that or not, but I think he’s playing tonight (Wednesday), and that’ll be his first game of the season.

But even you know, when he signed his two-year $6 million deal in the summer, the discussion was about usage. And you know, he was, depending on how you want to phrase it. I mean, the easiest way to describe it is he was available for trade over the summer. Obviously, the Leafs didn’t find the right fit or right package, or whatever they seem to be looking for.

They really like their depth on D, but at the same time, he wants to play just like everybody else. So is there going to be an opportunity for him to play regularly in the Leafs lineup this season? If not, as I said, he would be definitely open to an opportunity elsewhere.

But the Leafs are in no rush. They don’t have to rush anything. They want to see what their options are going to be, both internally on the defensive core and what options they present themselves from a trade market perspective down the road.

So is he available? Yes, with an asterisk, because nothing is imminent, and I don’t anticipate the Leafs really pursuing anything unless it’s going to benefit them this season, one way or another.”

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Makes sense, no need to rush moving him

RHD market can typically be good, just have to bide their time for the right deal
Lilly is going to have to show patience in him being moved, ditto for Leaf Nation, personally I want him gone tomorrow so that goes double for me and my like……

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Makes sense, no need to rush moving him

RHD market can typically be good, just have to bide their time for the right deal

No immediate rush but Jarnkrok, Dewar and Hakanpaa aren't going to be on LTIR for the season and the Leafs are 5.5M over the cap. It wouldn't be a bad thing to get ahead of the looming decisions, especially if there's interest.

Reactions: rumman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad