Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Coaches call

I wouldn't shed a tear over any of those guys including Kampf

Throw Kampf in there as well as guys I don't care about

I was hoping Holmberg would make Kampf replaceable but had some rough looks on the PK.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It depends on who you ask; some say it doesn't matter who Liljegren is with "he's just bad'. Mostly because they remember him getting pushed over against Boston. Like I said, no one remembers the spell when Rielly was suspended.

But if the way to compensate for or allay any concerns about his lack of aggressivity is to put him with McCabe to start, getting McCabe back on his strong side is also a plus.

It's the best way to use these 8 defencemen, IMO.

It's funny you say that, I do clearly remember the period when Reilly was out and this is why I had hope for Lilly. I had him penciled in beside OEL on our second pairing all off-season. I worry that he is not a Berube guy and that happens, new coaching casualties.

I still want to see OEL and Lily and that leaves Benoit, Myers, or Hakanpaa beside McCabe.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
It's funny you say that, I do clearly remember the period when Reilly was out and this is why I had hope for Lilly. I had him penciled in beside OEL on our second pairing all off-season. I worry that he is not a Berube guy and that happens, new coaching casualties.

I still want to see OEL and Lily and that leaves Benoit, Myers, or Hakanpaa beside McCabe.
It's likely the case, which is why even though I'm vouching for him, I expect he'll be moved.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It's likely the case, which is why even though I'm vouching for him, I expect he'll be moved.
Yeah, same.

I do wonder how much "message sending" to specific players and to the team might be going on too.

It's only been three games. Do they want something from Lilly that they believe he has, but hasn't shown yet? Is having him behind Timmins and Benoit a wake up call? I don't know and I am just reaching. It does seem like either move him now or play him. It's not like our bottom pairing guys are playing great and TL's value is dropping by the daym

Reactions: hockeywiz542

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
And Nylander was signed way before July 1st. so no one was available to move on from.
Yes they chose to sign him instead of saving the money for UFA that summer, that was the whole point. That option wasn’t there with Marner.

Reactions: ULF_55

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Honestly would rather have Justin Holl straight up for liljegren (wings retain 400k). Both players have one more year left, Holl was fine in a bottom pairing role and on the pk.
At this point I'm sure both would welcome a change of scenery.

Rielly Tanev
OEL McCabe
Benoit Holl
If we’re going back in history then I’d circle back on Cody Ceci once San Jose eliminates them selves by the deadline. Getting Ceci + Granlund out of San Jose would be a coup if we can dump Lilly, Jarnkrok and Kampf for cap space. Both are free agents so getting retention should be fine.

This core would be ridiculous and can’t be matched by anyone, except maybe Edmonton.

Matthews-Domi
Granlund-Nylander
Tavares-Marner

Rielly—Tanev
McCabe-Ceci
OEL-Hakanpaa

Woll/Stolarz

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It’s more of a market value comparable and more like what his actual market value is vs paying a premium because it’s Toronto.

He said he’d take less, and $11.5 was an overpay.

Would send a clear message that if someone wants to be here, you will be paid but it has to make sense.

Not onboard, need a gross overpay? GTFO.

I would like Nylander and everyone for less too. If we let Nylander walk this past off-season how specifically are we spending that $11.5M to be a better team?

That's what you have to be prepared to answer because there is no guarantee Willy signs here for less.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I was hoping Holmberg would make Kampf replaceable but had some rough looks on the PK.
I think that's one of those jobs you get better at the more you do it, Kampf didn't look like a world beater last season on the PK either

I'd rather strap Elon to it instead, actually.

Anyway, if Detroit wants to move him and get Liljegren, that'll cost a 1st+.

Hate to tell you but he's probably the best entrepreneur we've seen in the last half century

Yeah they ain't doing that

Reactions: WTFMAN99

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
If we’re going back in history then I’d circle back on Cody Ceci once San Jose eliminates them selves by the deadline. Getting Ceci + Granlund out of San Jose would be a coup if we can dump Lilly, Jarnkrok and Kampf for cap space. Both are free agents so getting retention should be fine.

This core would be ridiculous and can’t be matched by anyone, except maybe Edmonton.

Matthews-Domi
Granlund-Nylander
Tavares-Marner

Rielly—Tanev
McCabe-Ceci
OEL-Hakanpaa

Woll/Stolarz
Why in the f*** would we want to add Ceci to this team?

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

Matthews-Domi
Granlund-Nylander
Tavares-Marner

Rielly—Tanev
McCabe-Ceci
OEL-Hakanpaa

Woll/Stolarz
Cody Ceci?

In one thread we've had calls to bring back Justin Holl and Cody Ceci. I think we're broken as a fanbase. 😄

Reactions: meefer

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Hate to tell you but he's probably the best entrepreneur we've seen in the last half century

Yeah they ain't doing that
Good for him; that's not how I like to judge people.

I could tolerate him when he was just a Tony Stark wannabe, but he's got a new dimension now that's more narcissistic and misguided.

Anyway, yeah, Detroit will likely say no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad