Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Maybe doable if he was hitting UFA this past July, but he wasn't... I believe it was reported that the Leafs were after Roy but that the interest wasn't mutual. May very well of been the same case for Lindholm.

Fair comment.

Who the money is spent on is crucial, otherwise you are letting a very talented player go for nothing.

Moving on from Marner and using the cap to sign Lindholm and Roy would make us a better team, no doubts in my mind
Do you mean use Nylanders number?
Marner is still signed, his money wasn’t available for those players. Nylanders could have been.

Edit - like Roo says. No idea how that got quoted

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Do you mean use Nylanders number?
Marner is still signed, his money wasn’t available for those players. Nylanders could have been.

Edit - like Roo says. No idea how that got quoted
If you sign Nylander for closer to Timo Meier contract and move on from Jarnkrok and Kampf, you have enough for Lindholm even with Marner still on the team.

Domi-Matthews-Knies
Robertson-Lindholm-Nylander
McMann Tavares-Marner
Lorentz-Holmberg-Dewar

You’ve e got 3 lines that can play equal minutes.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If the NYI find themselves on the outside looking in, they would have a centre I think both Tree and Berube would really like to solidify our centre ice position for the playoffs.

Brock Nelson would be my #1 target at centre and my fallback option would be Christian Dvorak.

I like Pontus Holmberg but I don't think he's a 3C on a cup winning team.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Lots of people over-rating Lindholm. I don't think it will end up being a good signing for Boston. He's likely not even a 60 point guy anymore. I don't put much stock in his fast start.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If you sign Nylander for closer to Timo Meier contract and move on from Jarnkrok and Kampf, you have enough for Lindholm even with Marner still on the team.

Domi-Matthews-Knies
Knies-Tavares-McMann
Lorentz-Holmberg-Dewar

I think you meant Marner instead of Knies next to AM

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I think you meant Marner instead of Knies next to AM
Nope.

Matthews plays better away from Marner.

Thanks for the heads up that I omitted Marner and put Knies twice though.

Post edited. Appreciated. :thumbu:

Always hated them together.

The goal would be having him play matchup minutes to free up Matthews a bit and let us run Tavares as a pure offensive 3rd line.
This guy gets it. :thumbu:

Reactions: Jmo89

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

Domi-Matthews-Knies
McMann Tavares-Marner
Lorentz-Holmberg-Dewar

How are you getting Nylander for $2.7M less per year exactly?

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
How are you getting Nylander for $2.7M less per year exactly?
It’s more of a market value comparable and more like what his actual market value is vs paying a premium because it’s Toronto.

He said he’d take less, and $11.5 was an overpay.

Would send a clear message that if someone wants to be here, you will be paid but it has to make sense.

Not onboard, need a gross overpay? GTFO.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I see Lindholm had another good game for the Bruins yesterday, scoring the tying goal.

He’s the UFA we should have signed this summer.

No one of his calibre available this UFA and if you get him, your 2C is set for years.

He’s going to make us regret not getting him for years to come.
Yup. I get that we needed to improve the D, but like you said there are no Centers available next summer via free agency. Lindholm would have been perfect next to Willy due to his two-way ability. He's the quintessential 2-C and we could have had him for the price of dumping Liljegren, Kampf, and Jarnkrok for picks.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
If the NYI find themselves on the outside looking in, they would have a centre I think both Tree and Berube would really like to solidify our centre ice position for the playoffs.

Brock Nelson would be my #1 target at centre and my fallback option would be Christian Dvorak.

I like Pontus Holmberg but I don't think he's a 3C on a cup winning team.
Brock Nelson is perfect, I mentioned him a few pages ago as well. He gets us a goal-scoring center and allows us to roll 3 scoring lines

Matthews - Domi
Nelson - Nylander
Tavares - Marner

There isn't a team in the league that can keep up with a top 9 that has this foundation. Mix in our excellent defense and I start to like our chances

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Lots of people over-rating Lindholm. I don't think it will end up being a good signing for Boston. He's likely not even a 60 point guy anymore. I don't put much stock in his fast start.
He'll be a lot better there than in Vancouver, He's a good player. But really, I'm not sure why anyone would care.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
No doubt in my mind Tre was interested given the Calgary connection. Lindholm would’ve secured a positional need for years and fit our competitive window, ticked all the boxes for sure. I think at the end of the day I would chalk it up to the player preferring Boston.

Objectively.. the Leafs weren't really in a position to pursue Elias Lindholm without trading Marner or Tavares. It's not as simple as adding up Max Domi, Timothy Liljegren, and David Kampf and saying "that equals Elias Lindholm.

While I would have much preferred us trade Marner, and use the cap space to sign Lindholm, the "trade Marner" horse kind of had to come before the sign Lindholm cart.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Objectively... he's 29 and coming off a year where he put up 44 points in 75 games, which was considered "terrible" by his standards.

Even without Marner, a 2nd line of something like Holmberg-Lindhom-Nylander would be deadly... especially when your 3rd line becomes something like McMann-Tavares-Robertson, plus considering that you've got an extra $3m in cap space from Marner to Lindholm, and whatever Marner fetched in return.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Brock Nelson is perfect, I mentioned him a few pages ago as well. He gets us a goal-scoring center and allows us to roll 3 scoring lines

Matthews - Domi
Nelson - Nylander
Tavares - Marner

There isn't a team in the league that can keep up with a top 9 that has this foundation. Mix in our excellent defense and I start to like our chances

I did like the idea of a Nelson-Marner duo because it could be a strong line at 5v5 defensively, maybe the match up line. Maybe McMann on LW?

Knies-Matthews-88
McMann-Nelson-Marner
Patches-JT-Domi
Dewar-Kampf-Lorentz

Probably the most optimal playoff forward group.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Yup. I get that we needed to improve the D, but like you said there are no Centers available next summer via free agency. Lindholm would have been perfect next to Willy due to his two-way ability. He's the quintessential 2-C and we could have had him for the price of dumping Liljegren, Kampf, and Jarnkrok for picks.

Not really.

Dumping Liljegren saves you $2.25m versus a replacement player.
Dumping Kampf saves you $1.625m versus a replacement player.
Dumping Jarnkrok, might save you $1.325m versus a replacement player, if he actually fit on the roster / cap hit, which he doesn't at all right now.

Lindholm is $7m more than a replacement player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad