Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

1. Where do the Toronto Maple Leafs and Timothy Liljegren go from here?

Even with a third-pairing, right-shot defenceman more suited to the GM and coach's vision injured (off-season recruit Jani Hakanpää), Liljegren couldn't squeeze into the lineup on the club's first road trip.

The 2017 first-rounder has been leapfrogged not only by Conor Timmins (a decent puck-mover who can ill afford to keep averaging one bad penalty per game) but perhaps the bigger and cheaper Philippe Myers as well.

Yes, Brad Treliving is working the phones trying to move Liljegren and his $3-million cap hit, but if it were that easy to trade a third-pair D-man with a second-pair salary, it would've happened already.

There isn't urgency yet, but there could be soon.

Toronto is maxed out in NHL contracts and cap space, and eventually LTIR players like Hakanpää, Connor Dewar, and Calle Järnkrok will be healthy.

None of those players can be activated for nine more games, so Treliving has time.

Should another Leaf get injured in the meantime, the pressure to move Liljegren gets delayed. Maybe one of the league's other 31 teams falls victim to injuries and gets desperate for a righty (the L.A. Kings already lost a good one.) And, heck, there is still very much a chance the team needs him. He's a useful NHL-level talent, and at age 25, his best games should still rest ahead.

Ultimately, however, we don't see a long-term future here between an inconsistent — and, likely, frustrated, player — and a regime that didn't draft him.

Berube — who won his Cup with a bunch of big, nasty D-men — has made it clear that he prefers his blueliners huge. ("They get in the way," he chuckles.) Ditto for Treliving.

So, the Leafs are willing to play this out for at least a couple weeks, but at some point something must change.

Either Liljegren gets into the lineup and fights for more work, or he falls victim to a cap crunch and gets a fresh start in a different sweater.

See I would want at least a 2nd or 3rd+4th for him because I have a feeling he's going to do better elsewhere but we might get squeezed if we get healthier and guys start coming back.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
See I would want at least a 2nd or 3rd+4th for him because I have a feeling he's going to do better elsewhere but we might get squeezed if we get healthier and guys start coming back.

The problem is if he isn't playing and we're paying him 3M this year and next that seriously harms his value

I think he may do alright somewhere else but he isn't going to do it here and that 3M has value to us

I'm at the point where I'd happily let him go for nothing just to get the cap space and roster spot

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The problem is if he isn't playing and we're paying him 3M this year and next that seriously harms his value

I think he may do alright somewhere else but he isn't going to do it here and that 3M has value to us

I'm at the point where I'd happily let him go for nothing just to get the cap space and roster spot

The nothing part would have been easier for me to sign off on in the summer when we could have solidified RD with Roy and Tanev.

We should maybe do pump and dump? Give him heavy offensive zone starts, PP1 etc, inflate his stats and then see if that gets us a better return.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The nothing part would have been easier for me to sign off on in the summer when we could have solidified RD with Roy and Tanev.

We should maybe do pump and dump? Give him heavy offensive zone starts, PP1 etc, inflate his stats and then see if that gets us a better return.

That's what I thought we may do, inflate his stats and entice some sucker to take him off our hands but I don't think Berube is built that way

What a waste, when I think of the guys we could have gone after with that extra money I cringe

OEL + Liljegren is over 6M
Liljegren + Jarnkrok is over 5M
Liljegren + Kampf is 5.4M

That's middle 6C or middle pair RD money

Last edited:
Reactions: Puckstuff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad