conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Players who should be shipped out for picks asap,
Jarnkrok- returns a 3rd or 4th
Kampf - same as Jarnkrok
Liljegren - returns 2nd and 4th
Reaves - returns future considerations

That's 8.85 million freed up in cap space

I don't disagree with the list and possibly even the returns.

What do we do with $8.85M in cap space in season? Would we regret dumping three forwards later in the year when injuries hit? I would be good with moving one of Kampf/Jarnkrok and possibly Liljegren for a decent return. We can waive Reaves with no.one taking him and bury most of that salary.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

What do we do with $8.85M in cap space in season? Would we regret dumping three forwards later in the year when injuries hit? I would be good with moving one of Kampf/Jarnkrok and possibly Liljegren for a decent return. We can waive Reaves with no.one taking him and bury most of that salary.
We don't need that much cap space. Leafs could use pick capital and a little more breathing room. We under estimate how great accruing cap space is for moves at the deadline and even just calling up players in a pinch.

Leafs can go a few different routes to clear some of the log jam and create cap space, but they don't need to trade everyone. You need depth and not everyone needs to be on fire to be useful.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Kampf - same as Jarnkrok

They aren't going to nuke their depth to hold onto cap space. If they were interested in doing that I imagine they would have done it earlier in the summer.

I'd prefer to move off of Janrkork/Kampf. Thought this was the obvious move in the summer, but even more so now if they aren't going to use Kampf as a main PK part.

Sounds like Lilijgren will be the one to move due to his cap/role, but I'd be more invested in building him back up. Berube/Tre seem to like Timmins more.

Reactions: aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

If they’re gonna make an ill advised trade, might as well try to combine two guys at 5ish mil for one at 3ish. Don’t need to shake much more than a mil ( off the top of my head) from the cap to keep the roster with extras. Get a bit of an upgrade, get the cap flex ya need.
But only if it’s a great fit, like a legit better D with term, ideally on the right side. Or a RH C who can maybe be a 2/3 in time.
If it’s not the right fit, why bother?
Otherwise, trim from the edges….maybe one of the forwards for a pick or two.
Edit to add: to the previous poster….it’s not really freeing 8 mil on account of the roster guys in that will be in place of the departed.

Reactions: conFABulator

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016

You're talking about bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing defensemen. If injuries arise on the backend, we still have Hakanpaa,Myers and Rifai as depth. When it comes to forwards, we have some prospects who could come up and provide as well.

Grebenkin
Hirvonen
Nylander
Steeves
Quillan

Those are just a few who could step up and provide for our depth should injuries arise. Not to mention Dewar who will be back at some point as well

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Agreed we do not need to move all those players immediately. Doubt there would be buyers for all of them this early in the season too. It instantly kills the depth we have today. But you can move a few, and then others later in the season if others prove they can step up. That $8m will be helpful when we get to Jul 1st. But teams usually only trade for these types in season when they can help.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
It's very refreshing to have a team this year with a good amount of depth at every position. It feels like we have too many good players.

Yes, even Kampf and Jarnkrok. Useful players, though I understand the idea of replacing them with younger cheaper talent with more potential.

I'm happy to let them battle it out and find their spots without worrying about a major gap.

To get playoff ready, I do think we might need a 3C and a #4 RD, but there is lots of time to sort that out. Ideally we can replace Kampf and Liljegren, shifting Holmberg to 4C and one of OEL/McCabe to bottom pairing (depending on who we can get and who "wins" the battle for top 6 between Benoit and Hakanpaa).

But lots of time to sort that out...

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's very refreshing to have a team this year with a good amount of depth at every position. It feels like we have too many good players.

Yes, even Kampf and Jarnkrok. Useful players, though I understand the idea of replacing them with younger cheaper talent with more potential.

I'm happy to let them battle it out and find their spots without worrying about a major gap.

To get playoff ready, I do think we might need a 3C and a #4 RD, but there is lots of time to sort that out. Ideally we can replace Kampf and Liljegren, shifting Holmberg to 4C and one of OEL/McCabe to bottom pairing (depending on who we can get and who "wins" the battle for top 6 between Benoit and Hakanpaa).

But lots of time to sort that out...
We have several million dollars in cap space tied to players that we can potentially move prior to the trade deadline without really impacting the quality of our current lineup.

That is encouraging.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
We don't need that much cap space. Leafs could use pick capital and a little more breathing room. We under estimate how great accruing cap space is for moves at the deadline and even just calling up players in a pinch.

Leafs can go a few different routes to clear some of the log jam and create cap space, but they don't need to trade everyone. You need depth and not everyone needs to be on fire to be useful.
I think we agree. I am all for moving a couple/few bodies out to acquire picks, free up ice time, and gain cap space. All for it.

I go back and forth between moving all of Liljegren, Jarnkrok and Kampf now and being a bit more measured to ensure we keep depth.

If we look at our current roster, Kampf if 4C, Jarnkrok is not playing, and Reaves is the scratch. Is Dewar coming back enough for us to trade both of Kampf and Jarnkrok and not be exposed if injuries hit? Is Minten a factor in our depth? Grebenkin? I think Quillan, Hirvonen and Tverberg are a bit further away.

I am actually more comfortable moving Liljegren, a 25 year old RHD. Seems weird saying that. Right now, he is 7 or 8 on the doeth chart and I think Hakanpaa, Myers, Rifai and even Niemela provide enough cover.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
You're talking about bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing defensemen. If injuries arise on the backend, we still have Hakanpaa,Myers and Rifai as depth. When it comes to forwards, we have some prospects who could come up and provide as well.

Grebenkin
Hirvonen
Nylander
Steeves
Quillan

Those are just a few who could step up and provide for our depth should injuries arise. Not to mention Dewar who will be back at some point as well

I just said basically the same thing in response to another poster, I agree on the backend and would add Dewar to the front end (and forgot about Steeves when listing F depth options and you seem to have forgotten Minten). I am on board with moving Liljegren and one of the two forwards, and I probably lean towards keeping Jarnkrok due to contract and flexibility. I think Dewar, Jarnkrok, Minten, and the rest you list give us enough cover to move Kampf and not be exposed down the line. I think Dewar or Minten playing with Lorentz and McMann might give us a better fourth line.

Reactions: Avilaj07

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think Jarnkrok is the easiest player to justify moving on from. If Liljegren is truly behind both Timmins and Myers on the depth chart and they’ve made up their mind on him then packaging those two up and moving them seems to make a lot of sense.

Kampf, at that point, I think you can justify either keeping or moving. If you can find a trade partner for him and use the return to acquire someone cheaper who offers the similar then sure.

Whether we use that cap space all immediately to improve or sit on it, I can see both arguments. Imagine if we had like 4-5M+ of space accruing. We’d have a ton of flexibility to make moves come the trade deadline without having to worry about the cap really.

I mean really. These 3 players combined are costing 7.5M of our cap, that’s not far off of 10% and adding zero to little value.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Leafs trade Marner (11) + Liljegren (3) + Minten + 1st

Rangers trade Trouba (8) + Lafrenier (2.5) + Kakko (2.5)

Lafrenier/Matthews/Cowan
Knies/Tavares/Nylander
Robertson/Domi/Kakko
McMann/Kampf/Jarnkrok
*Reaves, Holmberg

Reilly/Trouba
OEL/Tanev
Benoit/McCabe
*Hakanpaa

Stolarz
Woll

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Kampf - same as Jarnkrok

I think it's more likely we have to give a draft pick to dump Kampf then him returning any value.

Don't sign 4th liners to 4 year deals...

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Leafs trade Marner (11) + Liljegren (3) + Minten + 1st

Rangers trade Trouba (8) + Lafrenier (2.5) + Kakko (2.5)

Lafrenier/Matthews/Cowan
Knies/Tavares/Nylander
Robertson/Domi/Kakko
McMann/Kampf/Jarnkrok
*Reaves, Holmberg

Reilly/Trouba
OEL/Tanev
Benoit/McCabe
*Hakanpaa

Stolarz
Woll

I think there are a lot of problems with this one.

Marner NMC and pending UFA
Trouba not being a top pairing D man and on a bad deal
Lafreniere due for a big new deal
Cowan already being set to the Knights and being unavailable this year.
Kakko playing ahead of Holmberg and needing to be resigned to a new deal.
This probably puts NYR over the cap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad