Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Jarnkrok + Liljegren for Murphy if we’ve really given up on Lilly.

Kampf to highest bidder once Dewar is ready.

Jarnkrok would be of no value to the Hawks given their timeline, so it becomes Liljegren for Murphy. In that case, Chicago could fetch a better return for Murphy.

Just get a pick for him and be done with it, it frees up 3M and we're not exactly flush with picks either so another one won't hurt

The extra 3m could've been better spent in the offseason, not sure how much it does for us now. I'd rather just play Liljegren and pump his value a bit, he's not any worse than Timmins.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Six way-too-early observations on the new-look Maple Leafs - The Athletic

6. Kämpf on the outs?

Kämpf not being the go-to centre on the PK is a curious development. It’s not that he hasn’t played there at all (there’s been a 3:52 split over the two games), but the fact he’s rolled out only sporadically has led to some speculation that he could be the player on the outs.

Now, if Lorentz is going to play this well, while making less than a third of what Kämpf does against the cap, that’s going to obviously create some food for thought at the bottom of the lineup. Plus Holmberg and the currently injured Connor Dewar can give them good minutes on the fourth line and PK, too.

Maybe you do move Kämpf at some point. Timothy Liljegren still remains candidate No. 1, and his $3 million cap hit would free up a lot of the necessary room to bring players off of LTIR, but the Leafs are so far over that moving more than one salary could make a lot of sense.

As I wrote earlier in the week, Toronto’s salary-cap situation and logjam of players should create a lot of healthy competition in this first month of the season. That’s certainly been evident on the ice through two games, with the Leafs’ effort level — especially from the supporting cast — being very noticeable.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Jarnkrok would be of no value to the Hawks given their timeline, so it becomes Liljegren for Murphy. In that case, Chicago could fetch a better return for Murphy.

The extra 3m could've been better spent in the offseason, not sure how much it does for us now. I'd rather just play Liljegren and pump his value a bit, he's not any worse than Timmins.

It frees up enough money to bring guys back and take them off LTIR

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Just get a pick for him and be done with it, it frees up 3M and we're not exactly flush with picks either so another one won't hurt
I'd rather get a body back. Too much time on developing him to just chuck him for a mid round pick, also considering I'd just have in the line up.

The idea with Cates is probably the way I'd go if he has to be moved.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'd rather get a body back. Too much time on developing him to just chuck him for a mid round pick, also considering I'd just have in the line up.

The idea with Cates is probably the way I'd go if he has to be moved.
He's not valuable enough to bring you back anything useful, just somebody in a similar situation

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I wouldn’t mind Cates. I’d do something around Kampf + for Cates and run these lines.

Knies - Matthews - Nylander
Robertson - Tavares - Marner
Pacioretty - Domi - McMann
Cates - Holmberg - Lorentz
Reaves

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I wouldn’t mind Cates. I’d do something around Kampf + for Cates and run these lines.

Knies - Matthews - Nylander
Robertson - Tavares - Marner
Pacioretty - Domi - McMann
Cates - Holmberg - Lorentz
Reaves
I think you throw him right in @ C

Get JT and Kampf to do a face-off crash course with him.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
We have a 2nd this year and not a lot else

We can't really afford to add what would be required to get a good middle 6C
They are giving up a guy who still has decent potential himself in Liljegren. Wouldn't surprise me if Timmy still carves out something like Stralman did for himself.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Keefe pretty much butchered the handling of every single prospect, didn’t he?

Outside of Matthews, Marner, and Nylander, which young guys developed under Keefe? Of course, you could make a compelling case that he failed with those 3 as well…

Dermott, Liljegren, and Sandin were all poorly handled on the blueline. Robertson was mishandled.

Kapanen, Engvall, and Holmberg… meh. Not terrible like the others, but certainly not great.

Just coincidence Holmberg looks like a true NHLER this year.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
The 4th line with Lorents and McMann looks amazing. If we can find a Kampf replacement that is actually physical and a better skater that line will give defesemen nightmares on the forecheck. A guy like Cizikas at his cap hit would look great with those two in NY falls off.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
They are giving up a guy who still has decent potential himself in Liljegren. Wouldn't surprise me if Timmy still carves out something like Stralman did for himself.
Who cares, Timmins/Lilly aren’t getting it done here, why worry about if they can carve out a career elsewhere. In time it will be abundantly clear neither are good fits for this team………

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Who cares, Timmins/Lilly aren’t getting it done here, why worry about if they can carve out a career elsewhere. In time it will be abundantly clear neither are good fits for this team………
That's how you make bad trades.

For me, Timmy is ahead of Timmins basically every thing aside from oulet passing. But when it comes to defending, whether it be lines or in-zone, Timmy is better and thus, should be in the line-up IMO.

Timmins bread and butter is outlet passing so he's a better fit for their guy Benoit.

But I mean it's nothing new, Toronto and the fans eat Defenceman alive, and too often the baby as gone out with the bath water or there has just been a plain lack of appreciation i.e. Gardiner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad