Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
The draft was the perfect time for a trade

The Lily contract is probably the most short-sighted move we've seen by this current front office yet. 100% avoidable and a missed opportunity to spend that money better in free agency
Unless he is moved for space and a pick or two.

Have to agree on this one..

You don't trade a somewhat-stalled mid-20s project in August or at the beginning of the season. It's far too difficult to find a "hockey trade" because teams can't build their offseasons around that trade.

The time to move Liljegren is at the draft, so that the Leafs can go in knowing what they need to spend on the blueline, and another team can go into offseason knowing they have Lily.

That being said, my personal suspicion as to what happened -- the Leafs had a deal lined up for Liljegren, and figured to make it more palatable they'd eat a chunk of bonus money. Their intent was to sign both Chris Tanev AND Matt Roy.

Roy went to Washington, which left the Leafs with Liljegren + $3.5m of cap space that they figured to spend on OEL, and then with Hakanpaa's injury status, they figured "what's the point in moving him now??".

Interesting. Maybe he was going to be reunited in Washington with Sandin, until the Caps won the Roy derby.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Might be interesting to see what a Lilly/Woll/Robbie package get us?

7 million(ish) in salary.
Fantilli+Provorov would be sweet. I’d swap Robertson for Minten, gives them a C back. I think Robertson is a good fit under Berube and found some chemistry. They can take Jarnkrok and Kampf too. Why? I was surprised to see Fantilli on PP2 in their opener. Doubt they move him but would be nice.

IN:
Adam Fantilli
Ivan Provorov (UFA)

OUT:
Joseph Woll
Timothy Liljegren
Fraser Minten
Calle Jarnkrok (can be moved elsewhere)
David Kampf (can be moved elsewhere)

Domi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Fantilli-Nylander
Robertson-Tavares-Pacioretty
Lorentz-Holmberg-McMann
/Reaves

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Provorov-Hakanpaa
/Timmins

Stolarz
Hildeby

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Fantilli+Provorov would be sweet. I’d swap Robertson for Minten, gives them a C back. I think Robertson is a good fit under Berube and found some chemistry. They can take Jarnkrok and Kampf too. Why? I was surprised to see Fantilli on PP2 in their opener. Doubt they move him but would be nice.

IN:
Adam Fantilli
Ivan Provorov (UFA)

OUT:
Joseph Woll
Timothy Liljegren
Fraser Minten

Domi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Fantilli-Nylander
Lorentz-Holmberg-McMann
/Reaves

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Provorov-Hakanpaa
/Timmins

Stolarz
Hildeby

Never say never but there's no way in hell Columbus is trading Fantilli, to anyone and Provorov is a pending UFA

I think we should keep Woll, goaltending depth is always useful
Try to move Liljegren, which won't be easy but maybe we can dump him in a trade around the TDL, he needs to play though for that to happen
I'd keep Minten as well
Jarnkrok and Kampf I don't really care about either way

Reactions: horner

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
I hope that they're just showcasing Timmins, who would be dealt for something like a 3rd in the near future.

That would give us the cap space to activate Dewar - there is absolutely no need for a third line centre at the moment, as Holmberg has taken off and ran with it.

Forward depth is very good at the moment, just deal Jarnkrok for whatever, he will not be needed this season - there are better call-ups available if needed, and for a third of the cap cost.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I hope that they're just showcasing Timmins, who would be dealt for something like a 3rd in the near future.

That would give us the cap space to activate Dewar - there is absolutely no need for a third line centre at the moment, as Holmberg has taken off and ran with it.

Forward depth is very good at the moment, just deal Jarnkrok for whatever, he will not be needed this season - there are better call-ups available if needed, and for a third of the cap cost.

Timmins can be waived. He has passed through waivers a bunch. He is the same age as Lilly. I think they can drop him if they want any time I don’t see getting value back. Hope I’m wrong

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017

IN:
Adam Fantilli
Ivan Provorov (UFA)

OUT:
Joseph Woll
Timothy Liljegren
Fraser Minten

Domi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Fantilli-Nylander
Lorentz-Holmberg-McMann
/Reaves

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Provorov-Hakanpaa
/Timmins

Stolarz
Hildeby
Did this work in nhl 24?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Might be interesting to see what a Lilly/Woll/Robbie package get us?

7 million(ish) in salary.

I really don’t think moving any of those players now makes any sense at all with the possible exception being Liljegren if they have determined he’s not in their plans.

horner

May 22, 2007
Edmonton needs defenceman7e there a context we can 5ake back and beary in the minors Dermott.
I think Ljiligren is worth 2 mil

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I really don’t think moving any of those players now makes any sense at all with the possible exception being Liljegren if they have determined he’s not in their plans.
I think acquiring a proper 2C is crucial.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Unless he is moved for space and a pick or two.

Interesting. Maybe he was going to be reunited in Washington with Sandin, until the Caps won the Roy derby.
While that is a possibility, I'm not sure it's so "direct".

The deal for Liljegren could have been to San Jose, or any of the teams in the league.. with the Leafs probably wanting to wait to make sure they could get Roy before leaving the right side of their D very weak.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Tyson Jost on waivers. Could he be the 3rd line center? Or even 4th and trade Kampf.

I don't beleive that Tyson Jost is any better than Pontus Holmberg, Conor Dewar, or Steven Lorentz at being "qualified" to be a 3rd or 4th line centre on a good team at this point in his career.

I think you could argue that if the Leafs could bring in a "better" 3rd line C like Scott Laughton, then it makes sense to drop Kampf in favour of giving the 4th line C job to one of those 3 cheaper players... but I don't think it makes sense to do so when your choices for 3rd line C are either Pontus Holmberg or Max Domi.

Reactions: conFABulator

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
While that is a possibility, I'm not sure it's so "direct".

The deal for Liljegren could have been to San Jose, or any of the teams in the league.. with the Leafs probably wanting to wait to make sure they could get Roy before leaving the right side of their D very weak.
Of course, it could be any team, or many teams anyway.

My Washington guess wasn't based on Roy it was on the caps possibly seeing value in reuniting the two.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Early Season Moves

Leafs - Sharks
Timothy Liljegren & 4th
for
2026/27 2nd

Leafs - Anyone
Calle Jarnkrok
for
3rd

Leafs - Anyone
David Kampf & Mid-Late Picks
for
Future Considerations

Lines

Knies - Matthews - Marner
McMann - Domi / Nylander
Pacioretty - Tavares - Robertson
Lorentz - Holmberg - Reaves

Rielly - Tanev
OEL - McCabe
Benot - Timmins/Hakanpaa/Myers

Powerplay

Marner - Domi - Knies
OEL - Matthews

Nylander - Tavares - Robertson
Rielly - Mattews/Pacioretty

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I mean long term a 2C would be a better add, I’m just not of the mindset that trading Woll or Robertson is smart currently.
I’m by no means hating on your take, I just see it differently.

Woll is not reliable. Stolarz is the better goalie now and Hildebeast is the goalie of the future. I would strongly consider moving him once healthy and shows a few good starts.

Robertson is a try hard kinda guy. I like his effort. For me, he spends far too much time on the ice (literally) and off his skates. He will not be effective against big boy teams. Florida, Boston etc etc.

Kadri, Danault, Jenner and Laughton are worth a look. I really think LA and us are a good match for pieces.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

IN:
Adam Fantilli
Ivan Provorov (UFA)

OUT:
Joseph Woll
Timothy Liljegren
Fraser Minten

Domi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Fantilli-Nylander