Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I would much rather move out Kampf and Timmins. Kampf is redundant if he is not killing penalties.

I think there is still potential there in Lily, and would like to see him get some more games before pulling the plug. Unless we get a solid return that is. I would not just dump him.

Reactions: aingefan

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Definitely agree the extension for him was very questionable. Especially as an RFA. Not sure why we didnt strong-arm him for a team-friendly deal.

Reactions: rumman

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
The draft was the perfect time for a trade

The Lily contract is probably the most short-sighted move we've seen by this current front office yet. 100% avoidable and a missed opportunity to spend that money better in free agency
I would presume that they would have traded him had there been a palatable deal to be made. IIRC, Mirtle says on latest Leaf Report that they tried to trade him all summer; extended him rather than letting him walk for nothing.

Reactions: Menzinger

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I swear guys you should've voted me for GM all those years ago.

I would've moved Tavares, Marner, Holl and Liljegren years back. Would've re-signed Hyman, kept Kadri, wouldn't have traded Marchment for Malgin.

We would've had a load of picks as well.

To be fair, I know a lot of us would've done this.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Next season we should go hard for Bennett, Ekblad and Marchand.

Marchand Matthews Domi
Knies Bennett Nylander
Robertson Holmberg Cowen
Lorentz Minten Grebenkin
Reeves

Rielly Tanev
OEL Ekblad
Benoit McCabe

Stolarz
Hildeby

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Worst part of the Lilly contract, is that we could've used that money to nab a Roy or Zadorov.

Now, they're tanking his value by not playing him.

Tre has done an amazing job as GM, but this is an ugly situation.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The draft was the perfect time for a trade

The Lily contract is probably the most short-sighted move we've seen by this current front office yet. 100% avoidable and a missed opportunity to spend that money better in free agency

Have to agree on this one..

You don't trade a somewhat-stalled mid-20s project in August or at the beginning of the season. It's far too difficult to find a "hockey trade" because teams can't build their offseasons around that trade.

The time to move Liljegren is at the draft, so that the Leafs can go in knowing what they need to spend on the blueline, and another team can go into offseason knowing they have Lily.

That being said, my personal suspicion as to what happened -- the Leafs had a deal lined up for Liljegren, and figured to make it more palatable they'd eat a chunk of bonus money. Their intent was to sign both Chris Tanev AND Matt Roy.

Roy went to Washington, which left the Leafs with Liljegren + $3.5m of cap space that they figured to spend on OEL, and then with Hakanpaa's injury status, they figured "what's the point in moving him now??".

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Yeah. Glad you got it now.
I quite like his FA signings. I think Tanev and OEL have fit in quite well. And I don't think many can grumble about Paccioretty and Lorentz. It'd be a bit harsh if fans don't like Lorentz.

Drafting - you might just be right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad