GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm on board with moving Marner for the right return.

I don't know about Tavares... that kind of is a depends... like, what would he sign for ... $3 mil... If he's willing to sign for 3rd line C money, and usage... he's probably pretty valuable at that price, but it's reallocating the cap for sure.

But, you are correct... if neither Matthews, nor Nylander can step it up, with a new coach, new GM, new supporting cast, new D... well, it's a failed era, and time to move on.

""

Will it just be the 10th OA, or will there be more pieces?

If JT would sign for pennies I’d wouldn’t complain, as long as he was properly used which means 3rd/4th line……….

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I would think if Markstrom does get traded to NJ, that increases our chances that we sign Brossoit.

FD odds had trade for a goalie ranked #1, Talbot #2, Broissoit #3.

View attachment 884399
I think Talbot is pretty likely. Veteran goalie who has experience being a #1 while they figure what Woll/Hildeby is.

Not my preferred option but a realistic one.

I'd be shocked if it's any of the other names, that would be a really unproven tandem.

Reactions: weems

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Neither can come close to replacing Kampf on the 4th line, or PK. I agree I'd rather free up his salary, but an external replacement, or a better Minten would be needed.... and that's a lot to hope that Minten is ready for that type of usage.

We drastically overpaid Kampf, but sometimes you don't appreciate role players until they are gone.
problem is overvaluing 4th liners when they are a dime a dozen. You have an in house solution Pontus Holmberg. There is nothing Kampf does better than Homlberg.

Kampf and Jarnkrok are a waste of cap space as you have internal solutions at a better price

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Just like I said a few weeks ago. Trade Marner, bring in Guentzel.

I love Guentzel. It’s an interesting option. It doesn’t do much to redistribute cap from forward to D and G, but getting him for like 1.5-2M under Marner’s current price, let alone whatever his extension would be, is nice work with a rising cap if they could do it.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Very glad he's not coming to the Leafs. Big caphit that would really impact our ability to make other moves, expensive trade assets out the door, and Markstrom frankly is overrated/inconsistent and not that good.

He usually has 1 good year and 1 bad year.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
problem is overvaluing 4th liners when they are a dime a dozen. You have an in house solution Pontus Holmberg. There is nothing Kampf does better than Homlberg.

Kampf and Jarnkrok are a waste of cap space as you have internal solutions at a better price
That is just false. Holmberg isn't really even a NHL C at this point. Can't win faceoffs... Kampf had 72% Dzone start time... Holmberg would get buried with such usage. Kampf is better at the PK...

I agree we overpaid Kampf, but Holmberg is not the replacement answer, or even close to being it.

I really like Holmberg, and hope that he can improve some... but he's not the guy to depend on here.

1718814791402.png

There had been talk of the 2024 1st being available. That 2025 is likely to be in the 20's, as NJD rebounds with a healthier season, and better goaltending. Good trade by Jersey, disappointing for Calgary.
Additionally, the Flames will retain 31.25% of Markstrom’s contract.

""

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
Very glad he's not coming to the Leafs. Big caphit that would really impact our ability to make other moves, expensive trade assets out the door, and Markstrom frankly is overrated/inconsistent and not that good.
30% retention, so only a 4.1 mill cap hit.

Given our luck, we may see our former coach going deep with NJ now that they (and he) has a solid goalie.

It seems Conroy used Treliving again for his negotiation with no intend of every trading with him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That's a huge price to pay to get a 34 year old goaltender that's been very hot and cold but with retention it's a good smart bet. It should help the Devils quite a bit to get stability in net.

Reactions: Menzinger

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
We'll be rolling into yet another season with bandaids covering the hole in our crease. It's so disappointing knowing that goaltending has been a problem for us since Belfour

Edit: I was never all-in on Markstrom

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I really looking forward to who our new Goalie might be to play alongside Woll and expecting a huge attempt to upgrade the defense with players like Brett Pesce, Chris Tanev, Nikita Zadorov etc.

A simply swap of a re-signed Guentzel, with Marner departing for futures. That means the Leafs would have $20.7M in cap space instead of $19.7M. estimate.

Guentzel ( 6 years @ $9.5 mil) ----- Matthews ----- Nylander
XXXX ------------------------------ Tavares -------- Stamkos ($5.5 mil X 3) instead of Bertuzzi
Knies -------------------------------Minton ------- Cowan (Kids line)
Reaves ----------------------------- Dewar -------- XXXX

Rielly -- Tanev/Pesce
McCabe --- Zadorov
I dunno about Stammer, I think if that's all it took he'd be re-signed by the Bolts already.

I'd probably go:

Knies-Matthews-McMann
Guentzel-Domi-Nylander
Minton-Tavares-Cowan

And save more money for D and G, whoever that'd be

I think Talbot is pretty likely. Veteran goalie who has experience being a #1 while they figure what Woll/Hildeby is.

Not my preferred option but a realistic one.

I'd be shocked if it's any of the other names, that would be a really unproven tandem.
Talbot lost his job to Rittich. Hard pass

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That's an excellent return for the Flames. Granted that's a hefty retention, but Markstrom is far from a sure thing these days.

I'd expect Tre to more so than ever look for a short term bargain in free agency to run with Woll

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I love Guentzel. It’s an interesting option. It doesn’t do much to redistribute cap from forward to D and G, but getting him for like 1.5-2M under Marner’s current price, let alone whatever his extension would be, is nice work with a rising cap if they could do it.
Yea that's the thing, under any other circumstance I hate adding another high priced forward. But one that's proven legit in the playoffs for cheaper than either of Marner or Tavares? Sign me up. I'd give him the C too, show these losers what a winner looks like.

Get futures in the Marner trade. Add D in free agency. Trade for a goalie

now we trade the Devils Kampf for Jake Allan.
Don't see the Devils trading Allen. They came our and said they wanna add a goalie to partner with Allen. With how goaltending has plagued them since Schneider's injuries, I don't blame them

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Should be a good trade for NJ as long as this past season was an aberration for them.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I wonder who else Calgary sells off. Keeping Weegar seems pointless. You could get a decent return of futures for him. A retained Mangiapane probably is attractive to some.

Kadri probably is pretty attractive too, and there are teams with C needs.

Huberdeau... that's kind of an ugly contract.

Backlund should attract some attention as well.

Reactions: Kurtz

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Re Kampf

The issue is the Leafs already have to shelter the 4th line with Reaves being stuck to it, and if they move Kampf in the third line,.there goes the offense..

There's not really the room to build a shutdown line on this team. I like Kampf in isolation, but I have a hard time seeing a strong fit for him as part of this lineup. They likely need to bring in a new offensive orientated 3C instead

And I don't think the secondary support guys have earned the right to be untouchable outside of say Knies. The PK was trash, needs to be rebuilt.

I don't see Tre trading Kampf so soon though. Jarnkrok more likely to go plus guys like maybe Lily/Robertson/Timmins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad