GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Connor Dewar and Holberg are two centers who can easily replace Kampf on the 4th line.

There's no reason for Kampf on this team. Need to free up his salary for more cap-space

Reactions: dubplatepressure

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Who do you believe helped their team more in this years playoffs Mitch Marner or Barclay Goodrow?

They both finished 6th in playoff scoring for their respective teams Marner with 1 goal and 3 points in round #1 loss and Goodrow 6 goals and 8 points in round #3 loss.

View attachment 884370
vs.

View attachment 884372

Goodrow finished 5th on NYR with 41 hits and 29 blocked shots vs Marner who finished 18th on the Leafs in these same stats.

View attachment 884368

Goodrow only makes $3.64 mil AAV vs Marner's $10.9, leaving NYR with an additional +$7.26 mil additional cap space.

So NYR can dress Barcaly Goodrow ($3.64 mil) + Leading scorer Vinny Trochek ($5,625,000) << Mitch Marner
or
NYR can dress Barclay Goodrow ($3.64 mil) & Alexis Lafrenière ($2,325,000) & #1G Igor Shesterkin (5.66 mil) for $11.5 mil compared to Marner @ $10.9 mil.
or
You pick how you want to use that extra +$7.26 mil cap space & Goodrow?

This demonstrates Why NYR were a final 4 Cup contender and why our Leafs are 1st round pretenders because only a diehard Leafs fan would prefer Marner in the playoffs to another team that can dress quality & quantity of playoff performers.

PS. Remember Leafs put their playoff starting goalie Samsonov on waivers during the season with NO takers and thought he could lead them to a Stanley Cup. :wg:
Perspective, I much rather have Goodrow than Kampf, that’s for damn sure……..

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Leafs main needs... D, G, C...

Media talks about... Guentzel, Domi, Bertuzzi.

Hopefully Management is smarter than the Media.
Not really. Chris Johnston was on radio last week saying the Leafs priority is to add two top 4 defenseman to the team. Via Free agency and trade. Thats their number 1 goal

Reactions: LeafSteel

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Lily plus our first.... for a guy with a bomb from the point, but isn't very good at defending. The more I see of Chych, the less I'm interested.
Chychrun was great in Arizona when he played big minutes in all situations. And not so good in Ottawa when he had to share responsibilities with Chabot and Sanderson. He also plays better at LD.

If McCabe can partner with one of him or Rielly as a RD, I'd be happy bringing in Chychrun and sighing Roy.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

The Leafs preparing to make a push for Jake Guentzel?​

Frank Seravalli revealed on Tuesday that the Toronto Maple Leafs could make a strong push for pending UFA Jake Guentzel if they decide to trade Mitch Marner.​

With the media in a frenzy over what the Leafs, and GM Brad Treliving decide to do with Marner, different trades and theories have emerged. Some more liked than others and some that are out-of-the-box, so to speak. One of those was proposed by Daily FaceOff's Frank Seravalli today in his article that touched on a number of potential free agents come July first. Seravalli revealed that IF the Leafs could trade Marner before then that they would likely make a push for Guentzel.

The Leafs would bring in a known playoff performer in Guentzel, who has 38 goals 67 points in 69 playoff games and another trigger-man that would help the Leafs' power play..​
Wrong move, someone remind Tre and company that the team’s problem is poor cap allocation, signing Jake doesn’t solve that problem……..

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Leafs main needs... D, G, C...

Media talks about... Guentzel, Domi, Bertuzzi.

Hopefully Management is smarter than the Media.
Our main issues is scoring in the playoffs. Going after someone like Guentzel helps solves that. If anything, that should be a sign our management is looking to go after proven playoff performers.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Connor Dewar and Holberg are two centers who can easily replace Kampf on the 4th line.

There's no reason for Kampf on this team. Need to free up his salary for more cap-space
Neither can come close to replacing Kampf on the 4th line, or PK. I agree I'd rather free up his salary, but an external replacement, or a better Minten would be needed.... and that's a lot to hope that Minten is ready for that type of usage.

We drastically overpaid Kampf, but sometimes you don't appreciate role players until they are gone.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Just like I said a few weeks ago. Trade Marner, bring in Guentzel.

Count me in.

To most, that would seem a tad redundant given the expected salary demands from Guentzel, with Evolving Hockey projecting a cap hit of $9.67M per season, but in reality, the Leafs would still be saving over $1M in cap space if they made such a move.

The Leafs would bring in a known playoff performer in Guentzel, who has 38 goals 67 points in 69 playoff games

Swapping Marner's measly 11 career playoff goals for someone that has scored 38 goals is a no brainer for less cap space.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Count me in.

To most, that would seem a tad redundant given the expected salary demands from Guentzel, with Evolving Hockey projecting a cap hit of $9.67M per season, but in reality, the Leafs would still be saving over $1M in cap space if they made such a move.

The Leafs would bring in a known playoff performer in Guentzel, who has 38 goals 67 points in 69 playoff games
Yup. He'd be the best playoff performer this team has seen in a long time.

Dump Tavares for whatever, re-sign Domi to be the 2C, still have cap space to sign some UFA D-men.

It'll never happen, Toronto is just being used for the extra clicks, but it'd be a smart play

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Count me in.

Leafs defence and goaltending say hi……….

1718811429659.png

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yup. He'd be the best playoff performer this team has seen in a long time.

Dump Tavares for whatever, re-sign Domi to be the 2C, still have cap space to sign some UFA D-men.

It'll never happen, Toronto is just being used for the extra clicks, but it'd be a smart play

I really looking forward to who our new Goalie might be to play alongside Woll and expecting a huge attempt to upgrade the defense with players like Brett Pesce, Chris Tanev, Nikita Zadorov etc.

A simply swap of a re-signed Guentzel, with Marner departing for futures. That means the Leafs would have $20.7M in cap space instead of $19.7M. estimate.

Guentzel ( 6 years @ $9.5 mil) ----- Matthews ----- Nylander
XXXX ------------------------------ Tavares -------- Stamkos ($5.5 mil X 3) instead of Bertuzzi
Knies -------------------------------Minton ------- Cowan (Kids line)
Reaves ----------------------------- Dewar -------- XXXX

Rielly -- Tanev/Pesce
McCabe --- Zadorov

Last edited:

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Leafs defence and goaltending say hi……….

View attachment 884393
The leafs I believe score something around 1.67 GPG in the playoffs and/or elimination games. If you remove Joseph Will, the lowest GAA is Adin Hill at 1.70.

Which goalie are you acquiring that’s going to guarantee only allow 1 goal a game when our team can’t score?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Wrong move, someone remind Tre and company that the team’s problem is poor cap allocation, signing Jake doesn’t solve that problem……..
I’d rather take my chances with Geuntzel without a NMC to be out of any long term Marner contract and go from there. If it doesn’t work out in 4 years, we can fire everything into the sun anyway.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The leafs I believe score something around 1.67 GPG in the playoffs and/or elimination games. If you remove Joseph Will, the lowest GAA is Adin Hill at 1.70.

Which goalie are you acquiring that’s going to guarantee only allow 1 goal a game when our team can’t score?
Woll can’t stay healthy, it would be a mistake to believe this year will be any different than last year, so your argument is based on him playing more than a couple of playoff games is flawed imo. Get a real number one goalie and use Woll as your backup, until he proves he can play regularly without breaking down that’s the prudent way to go.

As for who? I don’t know, who’s available, what can be traded to obtain said goalie?

I’d rather take my chances with Geuntzel without a NMC to be out of any long term Marner contract and go from there. If it doesn’t work out in 4 years, we can fire everything into the sun anyway.
Listen I hear you, but if they can trade Marner that money needs to be allocated to the D and G. Find a trade for Rielly and get a cheaper option on D then you can afford to spend more on the forwards. Imo, that’s a better option……..

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The Leafs have players who can score goals... the team is 2nd in the league in scoring in the regular season, over the past five years. The problem is scoring when it counts. It doesn't matter if you bring in a singular player, who has produced in the playoffs... you need to get the goal scorers we already have, scoring in the playoffs. If Matthews, Nylander, McMann, Knies, Robertson, Tavares etc... can't score in the playoffs, adding one more forward who can, isn't going to make a difference.

It's the new coaches job, to teach these guys, how to score in the playoffs. If he cannot, adding a single scoring winger, isn't going to do the trick... if these guys can't score when it counts, it's ground up rebuild time.

In the meantime, build a well rounded team, spend the cap wisely on positions of need, and hope the best goal scorer of this time in the regular season, can do so in the playoffs at some point, and bring the rest with him. A $9-10 million dollar winger, is exactly the wrong path to take, and continues in the tradition that so many people are against. Overpaid core forwards, no depth, average to poor D, and underwhelming goaltending.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Woll can’t stay healthy, it would be a mistake to believe this year will be any different than last year, so your argument is based on him playing more than a couple of playoff games is flawed imo. Get a real number one goalie and use Woll as your backup, until he proves he can play regularly without breaking down that’s the prudent way to go.

As for who? I don’t know, who’s available, what can be traded to obtain said goalie?
That wasn't my point. My response was to you saying the leafs goaltending is swiss cheese.

I said remove Joseph Woll, the lowest GAA by a goalie in the playoffs is 1.77 which is Adin Hill with 3 games played. I believe in the last 14 playoff games the leafs have played in. They have scored more than 2 goals a total of one time.

What goalie are you acquiring, that will only allow 1 goal or less, as it seems the leafs can only score 2. Every playoff game?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The Leafs have players who can score goals... the team is 2nd in the league in scoring in the regular season, over the past five years. The problem is scoring when it counts. It doesn't matter if you bring in a singular player, who has produced in the playoffs... you need to get the goal scorers we already have, scoring in the playoffs. If Matthews, Nylander, McMann, Knies, Robertson, Tavares etc... can't score in the playoffs, adding one more forward who can, isn't going to make a difference.

It's the new coaches job, to teach these guys, how to score in the playoffs. If he cannot, adding a single scoring winger, isn't going to do the trick... if these guys can't score when it counts, it's ground up rebuild time.

In the meantime, build a well rounded team, spend the cap wisely on positions of need, and hope the best goal scorer of this time in the regular season, can do so in the playoffs at some point, and bring the rest with him. A $9-10 million dollar winger, is exactly the wrong path to take, and continues in the tradition that so many people are against. Overpaid core forwards, no depth, average to poor D, and underwhelming goaltending.
A prudent team would start by trading one of the underperforming forwards now, let another walk when his contract is over at the end of the season, then see if either of the remaining two can actually perform in the playoffs, if not move another one or both……….

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
The leafs should be trading one of the core 4/5, yes. But the answer isn't "better goaltending, defense and we win"

We score 2 goals a f***ing game in the playoffs. Prime Hasek would struggle to carry this team because the expectation would be 1 goal or a shutout every game. Because if you allow 2? Welp, chances are the leafs have lost.

Reactions: Menzinger

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
That wasn't my point. My response was to you saying the leafs goaltending is swiss cheese.

I said remove Joseph Woll, the lowest GAA by a goalie in the playoffs is 1.77 which is Adin Hill with 3 games played. I believe in the last 14 playoff games the leafs have played in. They have scored more than 2 goals a total of one time.

What goalie are you acquiring, that will only allow 1 goal or less, as it seems the leafs can only score 2. Every playoff game?
I was eluding to improving both the D and G, but I get your point, Leafs can’t score in the playoffs, but that doesn’t mean their D and G are stellar, but you know that already………

Reactions: Tony Romo

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
A prudent team would start by trading one of the underperforming forwards now, let another walk when his contract is over at the end of the season, then see if either of the remaining two can actually perform in the playoffs, if not move another one or both……….

I'm on board with moving Marner for the right return.

I don't know about Tavares... that kind of is a depends... like, what would he sign for ... $3 mil... If he's willing to sign for 3rd line C money, and usage... he's probably pretty valuable at that price, but it's reallocating the cap for sure.

But, you are correct... if neither Matthews, nor Nylander can step it up, with a new coach, new GM, new supporting cast, new D... well, it's a failed era, and time to move on.

""

Will it just be the 10th OA, or will there be more pieces?

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I would think if Markstrom does get traded to NJ, that increases our chances that we sign Brossoit.

FD odds had trade for a goalie ranked #1, Talbot #2, Broissoit #3.

Screenshot (1453).png

Reactions: TMLegend
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad