Nov 3, 2021
We need to find our own versions of guys who aren't big names yet
Mikkola
Lomberg
Forsling
Luo
Stenlund

Incredible found support staff
This is another reason why I enjoy not having the likes of Engvall, Mik, Kerfoot etc. on the team.

They're established enough, and their regular season contributions make their roster spots a lock.

However they also don't seem to move the chains in the playoffs, so the opportunity cost to lock up these roster spots run the risk of being significantly costly. The need to audition players and give other guys a fair shot decreases. The conclusion is that you are never the team that has that one guy that was cheap to acquire and making 1-2 mil but giving 5+ mil value

Seems ironic but the lack of bottom 6 depth might end up a good thing if we're looking for non-established players who are on the brink of exceeding their cap hits via their performances.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
As much I'd love it, I don't think there's any way New York moves Dobson for Marner, let alone adding a 1st.

I think they'll move a solid roster player, maybe two, and the rest will be futures.

I'm terrible with value as I tend to over-consider the other team to avoid my natural biases, but perhaps something like:

Marner for:

Pulock, RD 29 (signed for 6.1 X 6 years)
-Gives us a RD in his prime, signed to a reasonable contract, and the powerplay shooter that Tre wants.

Holmstrom, RW 22 (RFA)
-Gives us a young two-way winger on a side we don't have depth. Former 1st rounder. Scored 15 goals last year in NHL.

20th pick
54th pick

or, since we're also looking for veteran 3C you could swap out Holmstrom for Cizikas who would bring grit, excellent defense with some offense, and is signed for 3 more years at only 2.5 million.

Reactions: supermann_98

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Get rid of Kampf and sign a guy like Stenlund. Probably comes in 800k cheaper and gives you pretty much the same thing.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Get rid of Kampf and sign a guy like Stenlund. Probably comes in 800k cheaper and gives you pretty much the same thing.
Outside of Marner, I think Kampf is the most likely to be dealt. Between Dewar and Holmberg they have 4C figured out. If they re-sign Domi, between him and Holmberg 3C is taken care of.

Reactions: aingefan

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
There are reports Utah is willing to trade their 6th overall pick, which is pretty typical this time of the year where every team is willing to trade their pick for the most part. It's still a team that I hope Treliving calls up a lot in the next week or two.
6th pick is gonna be a good player too. Most likely have 1 of Berkley, Biuum, Lindstrom and Parekh to pick from. 2 Cs can both be #1Cs in the future and the defenders will be top pairing D men who can run a PP. If we could also get Schmaltz in a deal with that pick that'd be fantastic.

Reactions: aingefan

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Outside of Marner, I think Kampf is the most likely to be dealt. Between Dewar and Holmberg they have 4C figured out. If they re-sign Domi, between him and Holmberg 3C is taken care of.
Jarnkrok
Timmins
Kampf

Imo those 3 will most likely be moved for whatever. I can see Kampf staying because the 4th line looked pretty good late in the season and during the playoffs so maybe they don't touch it, but never know. Not really a player you lose sleep over about losing. I can see them going with a much more physical defensive C who would pretty much form the bash bros with Reaves.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Meh, I think there's plenty of options in UFA rather than overpay in term or AAV for either of those two
Especially Bert, didn't like his game this year, is kind of weak. I won't miss him at all. Domi was better but the $'s have to make sense. Don't over pay, he may want to finally set down some roots. Been on a few teams now.

Reactions: Kiwi

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I like Kampf as a player.

But I'm not sure his current salary makes sense if the team isn't going to build a shutdown line around him, which doesn't seem like it's going to be the case moving forward.

Or they need to play him with a couple of offensive drivers on the third line

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I like Kampf as a player.

But I'm not sure his current salary makes sense if the team isn't going to build a shutdown line around him, which doesn't seem like it's going to be the case moving forward.

Or they need to play him with a couple of offensive drivers on the third line

He isn't good enough offensively

If we're keeping Reeve just trade Kampf and put a couple of bangers/energy guys with him and let's get a 4th line with an identity

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Kampf is not paid for his offensive and he started 59 of his faceoff in the defenzive end.

He took 71% of EVERY PK faceoff since he's in Toronto. At926. The closest is Matthews at 74.

If you're moving him, its not dewar or holmberg who will replace what he's doing defensively, especially on PK. The fact leafs can send Kampf everytime they are in the defensive zone mean they can start matthews, jt line more in the offensive end.

Its easy to say leafs dont need kampf or they don't need him but honestly the only player i can see able to replace Kampf is Frazer Minten and i don't know if he's ready for it

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
As much I'd love it, I don't think there's any way New York moves Dobson for Marner, let alone adding a 1st.

I think they'll move a solid roster player, maybe two, and the rest will be futures.

I'm terrible with value as I tend to over-consider the other team to avoid my natural biases, but perhaps something like:

Marner for:

Pulock, RD 29 (signed for 6.1 X 6 years)
-Gives us a RD in his prime, signed to a reasonable contract, and the powerplay shooter that Tre wants.

Holmstrom, RW 22 (RFA)
-Gives us a young two-way winger on a side we don't have depth. Former 1st rounder. Scored 15 goals last year in NHL.

20th pick
54th pick

or, since we're also looking for veteran 3C you could swap out Holmstrom for Cizikas who would bring grit, excellent defense with some offense, and is signed for 3 more years at only 2.5 million.
I know Cizikas thru a mutual friend, he would go thru a wall for the leafs in the playoffs you can be sure

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kampf is not paid for his offensive and he started 59 of his faceoff in the defenzive end.

He took 71% of EVERY PK faceoff since he's in Toronto. At926. The closest is Matthews at 74.

If you're moving him, its not dewar or holmberg who will replace what he's doing defensively, especially on PK. The fact leafs can send Kampf everytime they are in the defensive zone mean they can start matthews, jt line more in the offensive end.

Its easy to say leafs dont need kampf or they don't need him but honestly the only player i can see able to replace Kampf is Frazer Minten and i don't know if he's ready for it

The Leafs PK was terrible last season. I think we're okay shaking up the personnel

You're right he's not paid for his offense, but if the team doesn't build a shutdown line around him in the bottom six I think that talent goes to waste.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

I'd be fine getting rid of Kampf and just giving either Dewar or Holmberg all his defensive assignments at centre and upping Minten. It doesn't solve our 2C problem but Kampf isn't doing that anyway and any outside replacement won't give us anything we can't get internally.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
For me if it's either Jarnkrok or Kampf that gets to stay I 100% hope it's Kampf because Jarnkrok's game shrivels up worse than Marner come playoff time ... an absolute Casper-the-friendly-ghost performance two straight years.

Kampf has his limitations but as a 4th line C he's adequate if you don't consider his contract. If you do consider the contract I'd much rather pay $880k or whatever for Holmberg or Dewar or some other UFA signing

Reactions: BertCorbeau

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
The Leafs PK was terrible last season. I think we're okay shaking up the personnel

You're right he's not paid for his offense, but if the team doesn't build a shutdown line around him in the bottom six I think that talent goes to waste.

The biggest issues on Pk was lack of physicality in D and the PK was much better at the end after boosh and edmundson trade.

2- we dont know how Berube will use his player and how he see the situation

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
i would never expect Dobson and Sorokin ...that would be a Romanov and Sorokin, or in a Lou crazy moment, Pulock and Sorokin.
I'm guessing these trades are prior to the draft without the Leafs picking up his signing bonus, nor extending him.

If we're talking extended and bonus paid, there's a heck of a lot more going to the Leafs.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I know Cizikas thru a mutual friend, he would go thru a wall for the leafs in the playoffs you can be sure.
Other than age he'd be the perfect 3rd line venter for this team. Responsible defensively, hits everything that moves, shows enough skill and effort to be a threat unlike Kampf, and only signed for 2.5 million for the next 3 years. A line of him, McMann and Knies would dominate down low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad