GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
No way they bring Lily back. He is closer to a bust than a dman on a SC winner. Shame Hunter passed on a kid from Aurora who played on his f***ing London Knights. SMH.

I disagree.

Obviously, he's not going to lead his pairing, but his partners haven't exactly been top line defenders to lead him.

Leafs defense, 39 year old Giordano couldn't carry an experienced Brodie, let alone a developing Liljegren.

Let's hope there's a new system in place that supports the youngsters.

It's one of two things, bad system or bad defense.
1718710490533.png

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I disagree.

Obviously, he's not going to lead his pairing, but his partners haven't exactly been top line defenders to lead him.

Leafs defense, 39 year old Giordano couldn't carry an experienced Brodie, let alone a developing Liljegren.

Let's hope there's a new system in place that supports the youngsters.

It's one of two things, bad system or bad defense.
View attachment 883840
I’m not ready to call Liljegren a bust.

Pair him with Benoit on the 3rd pair and let’s see what he does with a coach who can actually coach.

At minimum he’s a 3rd pair RHD at a decent cap hit. Not like we have those falling out of our ass.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
The way the 2nd tweet is worded it would almost have to be Dobson. I highly doubt the base of a Marner deal is Romanov or Bolduc.
if one of the other pieces was Sorokin, who the Isles dont seem to trust in the playoffs, i'd be all over it, though, if he has issues in the playoffs after being a top 3 goalie in the regular season over and over, it would be concerning.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
if one of the other pieces was Sorokin, who the Isles dont seem to trust in the playoffs, i'd be all over it, though, if he has issues in the playoffs after being a top 3 goalie in the regular season over and over, it would be concerning.
Marner+ for Dobson and Sorkin would get us into round #3 or further. Never in a million years.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
He's physical and has good size, I think he would be something Tre would be very interested in

I'm not sure how Wahlstrom would fit, he loves to shoot but most of our team are like that if Marner isn't here, who's getting him the puck? Cowan?
I've watched the Islanders a fair bit. Romanov is about as mediocre as they come save for a couple of big hits here and there, and Wahlstrom is waiver wire fodder. No team is taking Sorokin's contract, but I've been suggesting Dobson since the season ended because I could very much see Lou giving him up in exchange for Marner. I don't see any reason why Marner wouldn't waive for the Islanders. Long Island is a great place to live with money, and he would instantly become that team's best player. It's a deal that makes sense for a lot of reasons.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I've watched the Islanders a fair bit. Romanov is about as mediocre as they come save for a couple of big hits here and there, and Wahlstrom is waiver wire fodder. No team is taking Sorokin's contract, but I've been suggesting Dobson since the season ended because I could very much see Lou giving him up in exchange for Marner. I don't see any reason why Marner wouldn't waive for the Islanders. Long Island is a great place to live with money, and he would instantly become that team's best player. It's a deal that makes sense for a lot of reasons.
I don't see Lou dealing Dobson, but if he wants to move Sorokin's contract, I can see a deal for Marner+. Imagine getting a #1G and #1D in the same trade. Too good to be true.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Blockbuster!

Marner + Woll + Lily

for

Sorokin + Romanov + Pageau (cap balancing) + 20th pick (2024)

We get a 1G, top 4D, 3C and Solberg! :naughty:

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
i would never expect Dobson and Sorokin ...that would be a Romanov and Sorokin, or in a Lou crazy moment, Pulock and Sorokin.
Evil pointed out Sorokin's contract (Ilya Sorokin signed a 8 year, $66,000,000 contract with the New York Islanders on Jul. 1, 2023). If Lou wants to move it, maybe he uses Dobson to entice the Leafs for Marner.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Evil pointed out Sorokin's contract (Ilya Sorokin signed a 8 year, $66,000,000 contract with the New York Islanders on Jul. 1, 2023). If Lou wants to move it, maybe he uses Dobson to entice the Leafs for Marner.
Lou's history suggests that he doesn't trade away goalies, but instead trades for them, so I don't see him moving Sorokin. But I doubt he is going to want to pay Dobson $8 million per year.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Sorokin is a top 3 goalie in the league in my opinion.
he just had his 'worst' season in the NHL, started 56 games, had a 2.99 and .909 only winning 25 games, if he was on the Leafs with those 'bad' numbers he'd have been pushing 40 wins.

Yes, the cap hit is high (because of that we may be able to pull another good asset), but, for all those on the trade for Soros bandwagon, thats the type of salary he wants too, and he isnt as good as Sorokin.
Sorokin and Pulock is 14.4
Marner and Kampf and Woll is ~14.1 (13.3 without Woll)

Of course I'd much prefer Dobson, but I dont think he would realistically be available along with Sorokin.

if it were Dobson, we'd likely be forced to take back a 'dump' like lee @7x2 or JPJ 2x5

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Lou's history suggests that he doesn't trade away goalies, but instead trades for them, so I don't see him moving Sorokin. But I doubt he is going to want to pay Dobson $8 million per year.
I agree but you did say "No team is taking Sorokin's contract" which suggests to me the Isles might want to dump it. Either way, getting Dobson would be a win for Tre.

Reactions: supermann_98

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A Marner for Romanov base for a trade would age so badly. Like Hall for Larsson on steroids. The Islanders don’t have anything interesting to make up that talent difference.

Only Dobson makes sense and I seriously doubt the Isles would move him.

Romanov isn't even a RHD. It's really bad. I really don't see a fit with the Isles.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I agree but you did say "No team is taking Sorokin's contract" which suggests to me the Isles might want to dump it. Either way, getting Dobson would be a win for Tre.
I don't think any team would take Sorokin's contract. Too high and too long. But I also don't think Lou would trade him because his history suggests that he prioritizes goalies, which is why he is also overpaying his back-up goalie.

Reactions: ToneDog

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Based on the Pagnotta list of teams

VGK - No trade
Chicago - Nazar + Korchinski/Vlasic + NYI 1st
Dallas - Stankoven + Bischel + 1st
Nashville - no trade

Or extend Marner

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
There are reports Utah is willing to trade their 6th overall pick, which is pretty typical this time of the year where every team is willing to trade their pick for the most part. It's still a team that I hope Treliving calls up a lot in the next week or two.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
I’m not ready to call Liljegren a bust.

Pair him with Benoit on the 3rd pair and let’s see what he does with a coach who can actually coach.

At minimum he’s a 3rd pair RHD at a decent cap hit. Not like we have those falling out of our ass.
Too bad he plays like he fell out of someone's ass.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Leafs trade Marner
NJ trades Nemec, Holtz, Meier

Leafs trade Tavares, Robertson
Anaheim trades Fowler, Gibson, Strome

Leafs sign Montour(7)

Knies(1)/Matthews(13.5)/Cowan(1)
Bettuzi(5)/Domi(3)/Meier(8.5)
Nylander(11.5)/Strome(5)/Holtz(1)
McMann(1)/Kampf(1)/Holmberg(1)
*Reaves(1.35)

RIelly(7.5)/Montour(7)
Fowler(6.5)/Nemec(1)
McCabe(2)/Benoit(1)

GIbson(6.5)
Woll(1)

Total = 86.35

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Leafs trade Marner

Leafs sign Montour(7)

*Reaves(1.35)

RIelly(7.5)/Montour(7)
Fowler(6.5)/Nemec(1)
McCabe(2)/Benoit(1)

GIbson(6.5)
Woll(1)

Total = 86.35
I like what your hinting at, but 11 mil for a third line winger? I also want no part of Gibson, try again with a better goalie…….

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Leafs trade Marner

Leafs sign Montour(7)

*Reaves(1.35)

RIelly(7.5)/Montour(7)
Fowler(6.5)/Nemec(1)
McCabe(2)/Benoit(1)

GIbson(6.5)
Woll(1)

Total = 86.35

1. Cowan on the first line is a reach.
2. New Jersey doesn't do that trade.
3. Anaheim doesn't do that trade.
4. You've got a lot of cap hit's wrong.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I like what your hinting at, but 11 mil for a third line winger? I also want no part of Gibson, try again with a better goalie…….

I'll try again tomorrow.

I usually throw one of these up every day in the offseason when it's quiet and there is nothing else to talk about. Helps keep me familiar with the rest of the league and gives me a feel for what fans think of certain players and their value. They don't usually make a lot of sense and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.

Ultimately I think whatever they end up doing is going to be even worse than whatever crap mess I throw up in these fantasy trade proposals of mine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad