GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Should had kept Lou, lol.

To me it starts with making the playoffs the first season. If they didn't, they might end up with Makar instead of Lilly. They also won't sign Marleau that off season.
Just a heads up even if they did draft Makar he might not have developed in Toronto like he did Colorado.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I wouldn't mind bringing back Radim Zohorna as depth defensive forward piece (13/14th forward). 6'6, 28 won't be expensive (18 points in 68 career games).

Reactions: aingefan

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Looking at UFA options and what we can afford under the cap, as well as more minor trades (eg Jarnkrok, Robertson, Kampf, etc)... Really hard to see how this team comes back as a legit contender next year.

Even if you assume positive things like Cowan (or another rookie like Grebenkin) is NHL ready for a middle 6 role, and that Woll can stay healthy and be a legit starter with a cheap tandem guy behind him (eg Broissoit), it's still pretty hard to build a legit contender with the capspace available.

A potential Marner trade seems to be the only realistic way to potentially shake that up.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
That just shows you how important the sum of the parts is.
Verheaghe, Reinhart, Cousins, Forsling, Bennett, Rodrigues, all together form something greater than just paying guys 10 million dollars and hope it works.
You need a smaller core and the right positions with an entourage that elevates it.
Barkov/Tkachuk are the 2 higher forwards.
So hold on. You're willing to bet on a bunch of cast offs and not your stars. Granted it worked for Florida but that's a recipe for disaster. Florida got lucky. Good for them. All those cast offs will probably win them a cup.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
So hold on. You're willing to bet on a bunch of cast offs and not your stars. Granted it worked for Florida but that's a recipe for disaster. Florida got lucky. Good for them. All those cast offs will probably win them a cup.
Well reinhart isnt a cast off

He is a star/part of the core for the years he has been there

Barkov + Tkachuk + Ekblad + Reinhart + Bobrovsky is their core the past 2 years

Verhaghe + Montour + Forsling + Benmett + EroD are the elite depth who were at one time not much to write about

The panthers core > leafs star 5

The panthers depth/castoffs > leafs star 5

Marner + Matthews + Nylander + Tavares + Rielly arent only very overpaid come playoffs, they are 2nd line players who we expect to be 5 of top 15 playoff players in the league.

Reactions: JKG33

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Oh that was definitely the decision that hurt us the most....but Marner is currently a problem too.

If Tavares killed them, then he's the issue. Either force him out now or let him leave next offseason. I don't know why they need to turn Marner into a sacrificial lamb.

Reactions: Rude Dog

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
There can be more than one problem….

spend money in a player they did't need unstead of build a d to help the team and still with one of worst d in NHL.

1 player who created 2 problem at the same time.

just remove jt salary and use it on D, You're already must better last 5

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
There can be more than one problem….

I wouldn't be so quick to identify Marner as a problem. It was kind of the opposite of his current perception before his signed his extension. Unless they fully explore that and try to fix it, I don't think it's a good idea to to scapegoat him.

If his dad wants to be a bitch and make this into a whole drama, then I'm with you. But if he's willing to quietly sign a Nylander extension then I think he offers a lot of value.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I wouldn't be so quick to identify Marner as a problem. It was kind of the opposite of his current perception before his signed his extension. Unless they fully explore that and try to fix it, I don't think it's a good idea to to scapegoat him.

If his dad wants to be a bitch and make this into a whole drama, then I'm with you. But if he's willing to quietly sign a Nylander extension then I think he offers a lot of value.
This paying 3 forwards over 11 million just needs to stop. I don't care if the salary cap is increasing. Depth scoring is the most important thing in the playoffs and having a reliable top 4 d core and goalie. It's way too easy to shut down top heavy teams.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

It's not really about him. I've been pretty consistent saying I don't believe they can build a winner with two expensive wingers. It's either him or Nylander, and they just committed to one of them.

Is Marner's camp even capable of doing things quietly?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

I don't know.

I just can't see a team with THREE 11mil plus forwards(2 of them wingers) being able to have a balance team with talents like the Panthers, Vegas and even the Avs.

Cap is going up but that applies to every single team in the league, which also means players will be more expensive.
I really would rather have Bert, Domi and Toffoli than Dewar, Holmberg and MM.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I remember the good old days when you couldn't win with 4 forwards taking to much of the cap

Now I've noticed it's migrated to 3 highly paid forwards?

Can someone tell me when we've actually tried having only 3 highly paid forwards because over the last half a decade we've tried it with 4 of them not 3

In fact we haven't even tried 3 yet so I'd like to know why everybody is certain it just won't work? Or is it just Marner is a p***y and has to go because obviously somebody needs to be scapegoated?

I mean we have 20M to spend this off-season, Tavares is gone next off-season and we have guys like Cowan, Grebyonkin, Minten, Hildeby and Niemela coming to join the likes of Knies, McMann, Holmberg and Robertson who are young and cheap

That doesn't look that bad to me if you are looking to build a deep team who doesn't rely on its stars as much

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad