GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

I'm not pretending to know what the GM wants at all. But if the GM states what he wants, and the player states what they want... it's pretty clear to see what they want. Maybe stop pretending someone is being traded, when both the GM and player state they are extending and staying???

Marner was drafted as a C, Nylander was drafted as a C, Johnson was drafted as a C.... none are NHL C's. Columbus main need, is still a C.... somehow you still don't see that, and are pretending otherwise? Spending assets, and that much cap on a winger would be foolish.

Ah... but their expensive players, show up when it counts, and are usually the best players on the ice when they win. A step our guys somehow haven't, or aren't capable of.
If Preds sign Saros, it could make Askarov available.

Reactions: jiggy35

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Ah... but their expensive players, show up when it counts, and are usually the best players on the ice when they win. A step our guys somehow haven't, or aren't capable of.

Their power play stinks. It's not on one guy. I have some faith that it can change.

I don't think we should be so aggressive about calling for a major amputation.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Better depth? Have you seen Edmonton's lineup? Their bottom six is worse than Toronto's.
Wasn’t getting the proper support. You can’t be the only guy going in on the forecheck. Stars need to play heavier too. They didn’t.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Their power play stinks. It's not on one guy. I have some faith that it can change.

I don't think we should be so aggressive about calling for a major amputation.

Major amputation no… but sometime changing out one piece changes the dynamic and certainly sends a message. Many teams have tinkered around their core until they’ve found success.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If Preds sign Saros, it could make Askarov available.

Yes, that’s possible. Though it depends on Saros contract too. If it’s 4-5 years, you can see a path for Askarov to be back up, and then take over near the end, or at the end of the contract.

I’d also hate to see what the ask is on Askarov.

Noting, Hildeby put up a better save percentage than Askarov last year… so how much are you willing to pay when you already have a prospect performing similarly?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Why are we discussing Kings trade possibilites? They have nothing the leafs want outside of Byfeld and Brandt Clarke and I don't see them getting traded.

Lets not do these inane Kempe at $5.5M is actually better than Marner at $10.9 nonsense. It's the dumbest thing I've ever read.
Kempe at his cap hit is definitely better than Marner snd his cap hit, crazy people still deny ghe fact that Marner isn’t worth yhe cost……..

When the playoffs roll, I’d take Hyman and Kempe on the wings with Matthews over Marner at the same price everyday.

Regular season and going to the All-Star game, sure Marner is better.
Marner’s s President’s Trophy kind of player, Stanley Cup nit so much…….

You remember Hyman over here doing jack shit in the playoffs? Maybe you'll be salivating over Marner in 3 years.
Hyman did plenty, snd on one leg no less…….

• Love
Reactions: JKG33

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Yes, that’s possible. Though it depends on Saros contract too. If it’s 4-5 years, you can see a path for Askarov to be back up, and then take over near the end, or at the end of the contract.

I’d also hate to see what the ask is on Askarov.

Noting, Hildeby put up a better save percentage than Askarov last year… so how much are you willing to pay when you already have a prospect performing similarly?

Yea, I'm hesitant about Askarov. Plenty of super hyped goalie prospects don't pan out, and he's had pretty mixed results on the international stage, and I would say a solid but not fantastic start to his AHL career. Samsonov as an example we know quite well had an absolutely fantastic KHL/international resume before coming over (better than Askarov's), but then a mediocre AHL start, and we now know how he's turned out.

A top skating prospect if they don't turn into an elite player, can still be a very valuable secondary top 6 forward or top 4 D. If a goalie prospect doesn't become an elite goalie, then they're either a run of the mill starter (eg Reimer, Samsonov, Talbot, etc) or backup, neither of which hold much value.

Reactions: Kurtz

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Major amputation no… but sometime changing out one piece changes the dynamic and certainly sends a message. Many teams have tinkered around their core until they’ve found success.
I think we'll be able to manage replacing 1 playoff goal in 7 games as well

Reactions: LeafSteel

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So what exactly is the relationship like between Zadorov and Treliving?

Could be a factor, and yes all UFA are overpaid until they end up being desperate ... that won't be Zadorov. I like he's only 29.

1716649163850.png

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

I'm not pretending to know what the GM wants at all. But if the GM states what he wants, and the player states what they want... it's pretty clear to see what they want. Maybe stop pretending someone is being traded, when both the GM and player state they are extending and staying???

Marner was drafted as a C, Nylander was drafted as a C, Johnson was drafted as a C.... none are NHL C's. Columbus main need, is still a C.... somehow you still don't see that, and are pretending otherwise? Spending assets, and that much cap on a winger would be foolish.

1- a plan can change pretty quickly, we talked about a goalie nashville was looking the market last year...

2-If you don't know what you're talking about

2 astuce for you 1- make some research or 2- stop talking about it

1000001506.jpg
1000001505.jpg
1000001504.jpg

Last edited:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Dreger on Overdrive says he's heard the leafs are looking to make a big upgrade in net. Lebrun hints at the same thing in his article (mentions Markstrom).

I wonder if we can somehow swing a three way deal with Marner+Liljergen involved that would swing us a D and G.

Weegar/Andersson + Markstrom package out of Calgary would be ideal.
Parayko + Binnington even better
From an odds perspective Calgary is possible but I doubt Marner waives. It will likely be a 3 way with Marner going stateside.Marner will want to go somewhere he can scores max.pts next year.

So what exactly is the relationship like between Zadorov and Treliving?

Could be a factor, and yes all UFA are overpaid until they end up being desperate ... that won't be Zadorov. I like he's only 29.

View attachment 875590
Zadorov will fetch $6 million easy.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
You wouldn't be getting him to play 25 minutes a night, so I think that would probably be ok if the term/cap hit is below 4M or so. You need depth of all kinds.

But I'd probably rather keep Liljegren over replacing him with Chatfield or whatever you can muster anyway.
I'd not put Chatfield over 2 mil (likely under) ...forget 4 he's at 762k on his current deal
he's still a bottom 4 dman

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
We didn't have a problem defending in the playoffs, even with some meh goaltenders

We couldn't score, we also have an all offense no defense Rielly skating around transitioning the puck

2 goals or less in 12 of the last what? 13 games or something insane like that? It's a miracle we get to game 7s or the 2nd round
defense made blatant give-aways (to an open opponent in front of our net) that directly led to game losing goals.
part of defense is moving the puck OUT of our zone, and our D sucked at that... it was like watching kids play monkey in the middle, as we chased the puck back and forth.
AND, part of defense's job is to contribute offensively, they really stank at that.

Reactions: Kurtz

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I'll jump on the Saros to Toronto bandwagon

Marner (11) + Rielly (7.5) to Nashville for Saros (5) + Josi (9.5)

Tavares (11) + Niemela + 1st 2024 to Pittsburgh for Karlsson (50% retained)

Leafs sign Montour (6)

Bertuzzi(5.5)/Matthews(13.5)/Cowan(1)
Knies(1)/Domi(4)/Nylander(11.5)
Robertson(2)/Kampf(2.5)/Jarnkrok(2)
McMann(1)/Minten(1)/Holmberg(1)
*Reaves(1.5), Dewar(1), Gregor(1)

Josi(9.5)/Montour(6)
McCabe(2)/Karlsson(5.5)
Benoit(1.5)/Chump(1)

Saros(5)
Woll(1)

Total = 81.5 (6M remaining)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I suspect one of Tanev or Zadorov I'm will be a Leaf on July 1st + another top 4 guy. Then probably a pair of vet bottom pairing guys too

Can they get Tanev/Zadorov and a Top 4 for less than $8mm?

Seems that price is going to be closer to $10mm.

Now, if they have courage and we see an infusion of ELSC players that could work.

But I don't see how putting $16mm into Bertuzzi, Zadorov/Tanev, Top 4 defender works.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Wasn’t getting the proper support. You can’t be the only guy going in on the forecheck. Stars need to play heavier too. They didn’t.

Popular narrative from his time here but Hyman was never the only guy going in on the forecheck.

Hyman has developed actual finishing ability which he never showed as a Leaf. I do think however it’s fair to question why he never did here though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
From an odds perspective Calgary is possible but I doubt Marner waives. It will likely be a 3 way with Marner going stateside.Marner will want to go somewhere he can scores max.pts next year.

Zadorov will fetch $6 million easy.

I'll take that bet all day.

5-5.25M is the max

He likely prefers term.

Reactions: Sypher04

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
What could be realistic names that the leafs could acquire if they decide to package Lily + Robertson?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Popular narrative from his time here but Hyman was never the only guy going in on the forecheck.

Hyman has developed actual finishing ability which he never showed as a Leaf. I do think however it’s fair to question why he never did here though.

They should test his sticks for steroids.

He doesn't spend half his time doing backhand wraparound attempts in Edmonton.

There must be stats showing who he is on the ice with for those goals.

Complete speculation, but perhaps Matthews was getting all the passes from marner, whereas Hyman is now getting the same number of passes? Maybe more playmakers on the Oilers?

Reactions: Sypher04

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I suspect one of Tanev or Zadorov I'm will be a Leaf on July 1st + another top 4 guy. Then probably a pair of vet bottom pairing guys too
I’d be happy with both, however Z isn’t worth 6mil, not now, not ever…….

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
With LeBrun coming out and saying that the Leafs are set on acquiring a top tier goalie, the 3 goalies that come to mind are Saros, Markstrom and Binnington. So now we have to look at what it would take to get any of these 3.

To Toronto-
Saros
Molendyk
Tomasino
1st Round Pick

To Nashville-
Marner
Liljegren

To Toronto-
Markstrom
Andersson
2nd Round Pick