Confirmed with Link: Trade with the Washington Capitals, Beck Malenstyn for 2nd round (#43)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Given the construction of the roster, this is a player who could have a bigger impact on the team than his individual value. If the goal is to build a team that is MORE than the sum of its parts, you need guys who bring different skill sets to complement each other. We don't have a single guy with Malenstyn's profile, either on the roster or in the pipeline.

Given the state of our prospect pool, losing a 2nd rounder who might barely be in the top 10 prospects for this organization doesn't bother me.

Sure in a perfect world we'd pay less in assets for him, but the overpayment isn't going to hurt this team. Plus, Washington isn't moving him for "fair value", he's a decent player, there are no cap problems to navigate, etc. I don't think they were going around to teams shopping him. It always takes an "overpayment" to pry those guys out.

Adams though can't sit on his hands and call his job complete. This roster needs more work than one player. But it's a start,

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
The NFL comparison is apt - thinking you can just draft a second rounder and plug him in - maybe even a year or two.

This is a player who will help us NOW, is still only 26, and we got for basically free after moving down to get the player we still wanted at #14.

Andrew Mangiapane put up 14-26-40 last year in 75 games, he's 5' 10", and he made over $6 million. I'd rather have Malenstyn.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
More like, Housley crushed O'Reilly the year before with the same use. Then they used that line since the middle of the lineup was shit and Eichel spent too much time not caring.

The point that a heavy d-zone use that isn't absolutely cratered is not some sort of terrible player as some are claiming, immediately after kneejerk reactions that they don't know who he is.
I remember the Foligno-Larsson-Gionta line being a legit shutdown line. I feel like we hadn't had a line like that until Greenway-Mitts-Benson, but Ive blocked out a lot of Ralph's and Bott's tenure, so take that opinion with a grain of salt, haha

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
It’s a start, he has much more on the checklist, but this we definitely and item on the list

Big
Fast
Hits
Penalty kills
High energy

It is what we need, why the hell are you all complaining?

This
This is either some 400 IQ move, or more likely, a desperate attempt to say you did something.

Reminder: Mangiapane went for a 2nd...

So Adams is officially at a Botterill level, but somehow even worse and trading.

And not this.

Mangiapane makes 6 mil and is more of what we have, he had one season with 30+ goals and hasn’t hit 20 goals otherwise. He wasn’t what we needed.

A good youngish 4th liner with everything we’re missing? Sure! But it’s not a big name from 2 years ago so lemme get pissed.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The NFL comparison is apt - thinking you can just draft a second rounder and plug him in - maybe even a year or two.

This is a player who will help us NOW, is still only 26, and we got for basically free after moving down to get the player we still wanted at #14.

Andrew Mangiapane put up 14-26-40 last year in 75 games, he's 5' 10", and he made over $6 million. I'd rather have Malenstyn.
If he can get other parts for the roster in trades or UFA, then sure, but if he says the deals fell through, no one is trading or we had no assets, then he f*** off.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I'm more upset we didn't trade the 1st for a player than this trade.
The first was never highly likely to be moved in a trade for a good player IMO. Teams aren't really pining for 11OA. We have lots of prospects just on the cusp though, a package including a roster player, some of those guys, and picks can get us to a place we really want to be if Kevyn has the ability to get it done.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You guys will love Beck. Doesn’t take a shift off, hits anything that moves, very solid on the cycle in the o-zone, eats pucks in the d-zone, not a fighter but doesn’t take shit from anyone, defensively responsible, and a fast skater. Washington has had very good fourth liners in recent memory (Nic Dowd, Garnet Hathaway, Jay Beagle, Matt Hendricks, Daniel Winnik, etc) and Beck was a fan favorite. We will definitely miss him and honestly I wouldn’t have moved him for anything less than an overpayment. Maybe the price was a bit rich but he’s a player you’ll never have to worry about and will instantly make your bottom six and PK better.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
You guys will love Beck. Doesn’t take a shift off, hits anything that moves, very solid on the cycle in the o-zone, eats pucks in the d-zone, not a fighter but doesn’t take shit from anyone, defensively responsible, and a fast skater. Washington has had very good fourth liners in recent memory (Nic Dowd, Garnet Hathaway, Jay Beagle, Matt Hendricks, Daniel Winnik, etc) and Beck was a fan favorite. We will definitely miss him and honestly I wouldn’t have moved him for anything less than an overpayment. Maybe the price was a bit rich but he’s a player you’ll never have to worry about and will instantly make your bottom six and PK better.
I'm hoping this is true. My only hesitation is that he's an RFA and was playing for a contract last season. Buffalo has a habit of taking the intensity out of players lately, so that and a new contract...I just hope it doesn't mute his energy.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Why are people saying we could have used this pick to get a different/better player?

What other players have been traded today for a 2nd?

Seems like the options were a) make the pick or b) trade for Malenstyn.

The trade was made shortly before the pick…

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
My guess is after reviewing the options Ruff said go get this guy. He was probably worth a third, so we overpaid.

It's hard to interpret his stats last year (like corsi percentages and stuff like that), because he was used in a solely defensive role (<10% offensive zone face offs).

All-in-all, I'm fairly meh about it, but not upset either.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $175.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $682.00