Rumor: Trade Rumour Thread I: Post-Lockout Madness

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
the concern I have is losing Gaborik for nothing.

Kreider and MDZ are RFA's / Callahan, Girardi and Lundqvist are all UFA's during Gabroik's walk year.

A decision will be made to allow Gaborik to leave via free agency not getting anything in return for the player, or move him and continue to feed the pipeline and get replacement players in the system and further on the pro roster.

I say those are the 2 decisions as I do not envision a scenario in which we have the Cap space to retain him unless he takes a sweet-heart of a discount to stay (under 5 per) which I doubt.

Also, I think that there may be a team that is prepped to push for contention that would make a play for Gaborik as opposed to just focusing on teams that are already contenders.

By letting him walk, you are getting $7M+ in cap space, which is considered an asset in this day and age.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Why? Why? Why? Did you look up the stats on these two? If not they're in the posts above yours.

All I asked is what would be a fair trade as far as value goes HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING. Did I say let's trade Stepan anywhere in my post?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
By letting him walk, you are getting $7M+ in cap space, which is considered an asset in this day and age.

I would want more than just cap space.

Cap space that will be devoured by the re-signings of the 5 guys mentioned.

So, we lose 40+ goals and a body and have the benefit of re-signing out own players?

Not much of an asset if you ask me.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

While this is true, cap space is an asset, I would prefer to have a 1st + very good prospect/young player + cap space.

This isn't just a Gaborik thing for me. If the Rangers decide they don't like Girardi's demands when his contract is close to being up I would hope they would do the same with him. The Pens are a perfect example. They knew they couldn't give J. Staal when he wanted so they dealt him a year before he hit UFA and got a good package for an asset they could not retain. THAT is how good organizations do things.

Losing an asset for nothing is pure idiocy IMO.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I would want more than just cap space.

Cap space that will be devoured by the re-signings of the 5 guys mentioned.

So, we lose 40+ goals and a body and have the benefit of re-signing out own players?

Not much of an asset if you ask me.

Depending on the return, it might be better than the other option which is to trade Gaborik with salary coming back, and then having problems signing our own RFA's.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Depending on the return, it might be better than the other option which is to trade Gaborik with salary coming back, and then having problems signing our own RFA's.

the good thing about Gaborik is that he's not overpaid for what he does so the need to absorb a bad contract in return is greatly reduced.

a (2nd/3rd line forward OR a 2nd/3rd pairing defenceman), a teams top 3-5 prospect and a 1st in 2013

I think would be conducive to making a move at the draft.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Is it just me, or does anyone else think they eliminated that rule?

he has to be the property of a team already.

for instance, Zucc's is NYR Property. They can bring him aboard and not have to worry about the waiver issue.

Sykora was a UFA, no one owned his rights therefore should he come across the pond, a difference set of rules apply

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
If they want to make a move on Brassard then CLB would have to take back Boyle and Rupp to clear salary. Rangers would also need a 4th line body but I would bet CLB has quite a few cheap options for that.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
If they want to make a move on Brassard then CLB would have to take back Boyle and Rupp to clear salary. Rangers would also need a 4th line body but I would bet CLB has quite a few cheap options for that.

Torts has liked Boyle's game recently. He has used his size a lot better. I really believe he helped turned that Toronto game around by throwing his body around and wearing the opposing team down behind the goal line and around the net. I doubt you see Boyle moved anytime soon.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
he has to be the property of a team already.

for instance, Zucc's is NYR Property. They can bring him aboard and not have to worry about the waiver issue.

Sykora was a UFA, no one owned his rights therefore should he come across the pond, a difference set of rules apply

I thought they were getting rid of it for everyone. Evgeni Nabokov rule.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
the good thing about Gaborik is that he's not overpaid for what he does so the need to absorb a bad contract in return is greatly reduced.

a (2nd/3rd line forward OR a 2nd/3rd pairing defenceman), a teams top 3-5 prospect and a 1st in 2013

I think would be conducive to making a move at the draft.

This makes the most sense for everyone involved.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Ryan O'Reilly is a great player. However, the Rangers have both Miller and Nieves whom are both considered to be good two way center prospects. This team needs more offensive dynamos like Nash. That Galchenyak kid in Montreal would've been such an awesome fit for this team. Pass on O'Reilly

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Cheechoo is a mystery and you're looking at odds of something like 100 to 1 he ever makes an impact in the NHL again.

BarbaraAlphanse

Ryan O'Reilly is a great player. However, the Rangers have both Miller and Nieves whom are both considered to be good two way center prospects. This team needs more offensive dynamos like Nash. That Galchenyak kid in Montreal would've been such an awesome fit for this team. Pass on O'Reilly

Miller projects better on the wing. Nieves has a LONG way to go. He hasn't looked particularly dominant this year.

I think Lindberg is our only real legitimate 2 way center in our system.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Thank god. It's a 2 year deal. Terms TBA.

Now we can stop talking about gutting our team for him. :handclap:

EDIT: Oh, no. There's still ROR.

Last edited:

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
King is dead, long live The Oribce

Chad Johnson with a shutout

How about King Henrik for Prince Chad?
We through in McD to even it out!
Gives us capspace to resign Redden & Gomez as UFAs in July
Yeah, madness

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Didn't want to start a new thread, but anyone know where Larry Brooks went? Last tweet was January 18, and he has not been writing Rangers stories for the Post as far as I can tell. Hope everything is okay for LB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad