Speculation: Trade Rumors/Speculation Thread Part II (Mod warning post #861)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UDnyr92

Jan 6, 2011
Multiple tweets suggesting Messier is in NY tonight scouting with a group of Edmonton staff at the game... speculate speculate oh man

Punxrocknyc19*

Multiple tweets suggesting Messier is in NY tonight scouting with a group of Edmonton staff at the game... speculate speculate oh man

lets hope they are looking at Pyatt and Boyle :yo:

UDnyr92

Jan 6, 2011
Also, was going to say most likely a West Coast thing, but EDM and ANA don't play each other until mid December... so more fuel to the fire. or Messier is simply taking a field trip with his friends

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
That group includes Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish

With that many suits in the house, and the Oil not paying either team anytime soon, there's definitely a good chance there have been advanced trade talks with the oilers by one or both of the teams playing.

UDnyr92

Jan 6, 2011
With that many suits in the house, and the Oil not paying either team anytime soon, there's definitely a good chance there have been advanced trade talks with the oilers by one or both of the teams playing.

Definitely true, very rarely you see the big guns all come to a game together, on the other coast of the continent, without any upcoming games against either team. Have to seriously wonder if there's something legit that's imminent here... (MDZ is first thought obviously)

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Considering that Messier, Lowe, and MacTavish all played for the Rangers I don't think you can rule out a general scouting trip to hit the city before heading to Florida.

Could be a trade given the state of the Oilers. But this is the type of thing people sometimes overreact to.

azrok22

Mar 8, 2006
Swung by the Edmonton board to see what their fans were thinking of potential pieces to trade and man is it brutal . . . unless the idea of sending Girardi/Del Zotto for Hemsky or bringing back Cory-freaking-Potter is appealing . . .

:laugh:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Hope they liked that timely goal.

Exactly. That tantalizing MDZ potential... Now, all we need is a Boyle pass to Pyatt for a game winning goal. :)

(For the record, I'd actually love to keep Boyle in his proper role as a 4th line LW/faceoff insurance in defensive zone draws.)

Considering that Messier, Lowe, and MacTavish all played for the Rangers I don't think you can rule out a general scouting trip to hit the city before heading to Florida.

Could be a trade given the state of the Oilers. But this is the type of thing people sometimes overreact to.

True. But, by the same token, it could be the sort of thing that has long term effects, even if they weren't there to scout a specific trade and even if there is no immediate deal.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Swung by the Edmonton board to see what their fans were thinking of potential pieces to trade and man is it brutal . . . unless the idea of sending Girardi/Del Zotto for Hemsky or bringing back Cory-freaking-Potter is appealing . . .

Yuck.

Only want Gagner from Edmonton. Maybe Yakupov. Everything else is either unattainable or putrid. Doubt they bail on Perron.

MrEctions

Willy Nilly
Apr 24, 2007
Clinton, Ny
Would love to see Yak in blue, but scared of what the return would be. Did find it interesting that the group was there though.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

They're crazy. Can't really blame them, they've been awful, and they were supposed to be a dynasty by this point. Obviously they're not gonna want to let anyone go unless it's for something absurd.

I've seen a million terrible proposals from HFNYR too.* It's just that Edmonton wants so badly to be competitive, but they don't want to trade anyone.

Last edited:

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Kind of like a package built around DZ for Eberle or Hall or RNH which we've seen here many times.

Every fan base has re res who try to offer lopsided proposals that they only wish would go down.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Brooks speculating that we're interested in Hemsky and Yakupov

The Blueshirts are likely one of the few teams in the NHL apt to even consider trading for the skilled but finicky 20-year-old Russian, whom many in the industry believe is difficult to coach and liable to bolt for the KHL, an international league based in Russia.
The level of Rangers interest might be influenced by medical reports regarding Rick Nash, who has been sidelined since Oct. 8, when he sustained a concussion in San Jose on a first-period shot to the head from Sharks’ defenseman Brad Stuart.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
The more I hear about Yak the more he is starting to sound like Zherdev. We've already traded out 1 top 4 D-man for an over-hyped, under-delivering winger, let's hope history doesn't repeat itself.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Forget about Buff and co.

We really need a PPQB. But we should go after a young kid that can grow into the role. A right shooting Troey Krug. There are many out there with a ton of offensive talent, but needs a position to play in. These kids develop when they get to play for better teams, look for Krug in Boston. A kid like that never makes it playing for like Columbus, or Florida, or any grinding hard pressed teams. You need to be able to let them play to their strengths, then they take of like Krug.

We haven't had a PPQB since Leetch, not even remotely. Poti? We have much depth in other areas, and I see -- no -- reason for us to not make a side-ways deals with those assets for a young right shooting PPQB that we can groom and ease in behind Girardi and Strålman. I mean, I love Miller, Moore, Fast, Lindberg, Kristo, I think we will miss 1st round picks if we start moving them, but what is the argument to at least move when asset with potential for another asset a little further ahead with potential to become that PPQB we have missed? And it is REALISTIC to hope to find someone. These guys are more environment, opertunity etc then any other position. Rafalski in NJ, there are so many examples. Its not like looking for our Crosby II in other teams rejects, its the opposite.

David Rundblad is caught in a great log-jam in PHX. They have 3 D's who got more than 10 pts already, that would rank 1, 2 and 3 in scoring for us. He isn't getting much of a shot there. Watch his highlights at nhl.com, look at his game-log when he scores points and search out those plays in the old game highlights. He can run a PP in the NHL, no doubt about it. Is he good defensively, no, but who cares. We have Girardi and Strålman, we have McIlrath in the ranks. Rundblad is getting better and better defensively, what he needs is a PP to run and OEL owns that PP in PHX.

Ryan Murphy in Carolina got so much talent. Had he played for a better team, he would really raise some eye browns. Now he isn't allowed to play to his strengths. He is the type of kid who you can play a perfect defense against, but he has the ability to just blow it open. These D's who can challenge forecheckers and organized D's on a play by play basis are the future of the game. Id give up a ton to get him.

How good is Ryan Ellis in Nashville? I haven't seen much of him, but on paper he might fit the bill.

We won't find what we aren't looking for. Maloney got us "Hank", nobody else. Maloney made it clear to everyone that NYR needed a strong goaltender to get some consitency. A few 1st rounders, a few trades and UFA signings later, Hank fell into his lap. We would have looked until we found our Hank. Its time to get a PPQB and an offensive punch from the blueline. We could strike and miss a few times, but I don't see the point while looking at our depth chart to like hang on to a forward with 2-3 line potential if that is the price to get an equally good young right shooting offensive minded D. And we have the team to develop that kid on. A PP that we just can hand over to that kid.
Good points. I agree on all counts. I was hoping they get that PPQB last season, it's glaring weakness, especially RH shot.
Rundblad should be cheaper to get, not sure what his value is now, but he has been scratched like 8 or 10 times this season already. He would fill that need.
Murphy would also fit the bit but would cost a little more to acquire.

The more I hear about Yak the more he is starting to sound like Zherdev. We've already traded out 1 top 4 D-man for an over-hyped, under-delivering winger, let's hope history doesn't repeat itself.

For Girardi I wouldn't do it too much risk.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO

Agreed completely. I don't want to give up a major piece for a player like Yak just yet...which means that I don't want to trade for Yak, since that's what it would take.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

He isn't "Zherdev II" really, but I agree that there are reason for concern.

1. He can bolt to the KHL.

2. He will never be a RFA. He is a UFA the minute any contract is up. You can forget about anything called bridge deals etc. Be prepared to at least put good money on the table from Y4.

3. He is not mega talented. He is not Crosby/AO/Kane II.

Back to Nik Zherdev. Zherdev -- mainly -- in many senses kind of have the same problems as Kreider have. A shortage of elite understanding of the game, purpose etc. The players that turns into real headcases are often the players who can't perform, are pressured by coaches and media, and then derails. Like, had Zherdev played great hockey on the ice in all situations I doubt we would have heard much about his attitude, which wasn't perfect either.

Zherdev played from mens hockey from when he was 15 to 17 y/o at a low level, small town/suburb team. Then he went to a struggling CSKA team and had alot of ups and downs, before he was thrown into the NHL as a 18 y/o (same age as Antohny Duclair is today, or Skjei was two years ago...) by Columbus. A badly struggling CBJ team that was.

I said this many times when we had him, for all the complaints about attitude and egoism and what not, I mainly saw a player that just wasn't very smart at all in Zherdev. He went where the puck took him often without a plan. Complaining on him did no good but learning him what to do on the ice would have been a start, if he was prepared to listen that is.

Nail Yakupov got a bit of a showboat attitude, but he is a completely diffrent player than Zherdev for sure. He might not be Mr 100%, but he got offensive hockey in his blood. Zherdev was clueless on a PP, Yakubov will definitely become an elite PP-player.

Yaks is pretty feisty and loves to drive the puck with high intensity to the net. He got a quick release and is a god set-up player. His skating isn't super-elite and he is pretty small. I don't think he will become like Kane/Stamkos II, or be one of the top 5 offensive players in the game even for shorter stints, but there is much reason to expect him to become that type of 80-85 pts scorer in his prime. That is far from Zherdev.

Yaks has played 2 junior years in NA and has played two years for EDM. During the lockout and in WJC's he has scored alot of pts (35 pts in 36 games in the WJC and KHL).

I would definitely be very excited to get him. What is it Slats use to say, you can be a mouse all your life or you can be a lion... ;) Nah but seriously, the big issue with Yaks is the risks and costs involved. i) Will he bolt to the KHL, ii) what will it cost to get him, iii) how much will you have to pay him? 6m per his second contract?

But he would undoutedly help our PP. I don't really worry about RW logjam, Yaks is like a center. He can play anywhere. You can't have too many centers.

Girardi for Yakubov? What do we do at RD? Call up McI? You need right shooting D's. Pull off another deal for a RD? Could we talk to his agent and get some comfort? Sucks loosing Girardi, we save alot of money next season for sure if we can replace Girardi with a cheaper player.

MDZ and Miller for Yakubov? We are certainly dealing from a position of strength. But it sucks loosing Miller and I think MDZ is a very underrated player. People don't really have a realstic take on how much a player is influenced by position and environment. How would Voynov look at LD in LA? Or when playing smaller minutes on the 3rd pairing? MDZ is a very good hockey player, but caught in a log-jam in NY. I am 100% sure he would be a steady asset in a top 4 LD role.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Maybe Edmonton was looking at the Anaheim goalie. Anaheim has the most goaltending depth in the NHL. They can't play all of them. Anaheim has Fasth,Hiller,Andersson,Gibson and the Russian kid Babkov. Hemsky. It won't take much to get him. Edmonton couldn't give him away in the summer. Big cap hit. Brooks doesn't know anything. He doesn't know why Edmonton was there. The Rangers don't need a band aid. According to McKenzie,the Oilers best players aren't available.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The way people talk about Yakupov is the same way they used to talk about Zherdev. Let's go get a North American kid. Someone who isn't going to bolt to the KHL when things go bad like Burmistrov did. He went to the KHL. No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad