Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Robinson, Stortini, 7th to SJ for Wingels

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'll tip my hat to you guys if Neil is traded or benched. I just don't see Boucher doing it to a guy who has played 1000+ games and still has some life left in him - although, I also fully understand that our 4th line has ZERO offense.

I'd be happy with not getting pinned in our end... I hear what you are saying about Neil. I have said the same thing myself.

IMO Wingels plays and one of Neil, Kelly, Lazar sit for that to happen. I don't care if its every 3rd game but one of them is going to sit. If I had to pick one based on merit to stay in the lineup it would be Kelly.

I think its a tough call on the organization to have to sit any of them. But its the NHL and vets get sat ... look at Drew Miller waived by the wings.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I don't question the price, we gave nothing. I question the impact. What he's done in the past doesn't mean anything if he's going to get 4th line minutes here.

The part not to love, is it doesn't change much with regards to W/L.

Again, we win the trade, just don't think it means much if anything.

Our 4th line has not been able to sustain any pressure in the O-Zone for months now. Wingels is known as an energy guy (who can score a little) who is strong on the forecheck. To me this move addresses a weakness, albeit a minor one.

Does it mean I'm planning a parade? No. But it does make the team stronger.

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
I don't question the price, we gave nothing. I question the impact. What he's done in the past doesn't mean anything if he's going to get 4th line minutes here.

The part not to love, is it doesn't change much with regards to W/L.

Again, we win the trade, just don't think it means much if anything.

Wait and see. Why judge his impact before they've even finished stitching his name on his journey? If he can get some of his scoring touch back, Sens fans are gonna love him. He's a fun player who can have a ton of impact on a game.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'd be happy with not getting pinned in our end... I hear what you are saying about Neil. I have said the same thing myself.

IMO Wingels plays and one of Neil, Kelly, Lazar sit for that to happen. I don't care if its every 3rd game but one of them is going to sit. If I had to pick one based on merit to stay in the lineup it would be Kelly.

I think its a tough call on the organization to have to sit any of them. But its the NHL and vets get sat ... look at Drew Miller waived by the wings.

Man, I hear you about being pinned into our zone...

Oct 10, 2010
Our 4th line has not been able to sustain any pressure in the O-Zone for months now. Wingels is known as an energy guy (who can score a little) who is strong on the forecheck. To me this move addresses a weakness, albeit a minor one.

Does it mean I'm planning a parade? No. But it does make the team stronger.

I guess technically it makes us stronger, just not strong enough.

I hope down the road if we are still in this thing, we trade for an impact top 6 forward.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Just 2 years ago Wingels matched Zack Smith's career high in points. They year before that he bettered it by 2 points. He plays a hard game and is defensively responsible. This is a serious upgrade to our bottom six. All for the price of players who were never playing in an Ottawa uniform and a 7th round pick.

What's not to love?

While I understand where you're coming from, that's not exactly the greatest argument in the world.

There are numerous examples of athletes in all sports falling off a cliff in terms of performance in a short period of time. Someone being good 2 years ago does not mean they will still be good in present day.

Now I'm not saying Wingels isn't going to be an upgrade over the junk we are rolling out on our 4th line, but I don't think we can exactly expect the player that got the multiyear $2mil+ contract the Sharks had to trade away.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Marc Bergevin has made an excellent reputation of making soft trades that have really helped his team when they needed a boost or come into injuries - Smith Pellie, Ryan White, Dutch Gretzky, Byron - and all these players have come up huge for the Habs and really helped the Habs have great depth over the years.

Moves like Pyaat, Wingels, Condon, Kelly for his leadership, not sexy by any means but the Sens needed to rebuild their bottom 6 and more importantly, get Boucher his types of players. I think Wingels ends up liking Ottawa like all players do and wants to stay. Dorion is spending a bit of our assets, but as a new GM I think we owe him some rope to build the roster in his vision and the vision on the coach.

And times when you get these buzz-saw type of players, they always play well when they have to reproved themselves, something about these types of players they always come in and provide a ton of energy.

Our prospect pool for the next 2 years has blue chip prospects challenging for roster spots and other guys like Dahlen, Perron, Lajoie, Englund i wouldn't be upset if Dorion trades more mid round picks as long as he keeps the 1st I don't care if he trades all of this years draft picks to be honest.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
While I understand where you're coming from, that's not exactly the greatest argument in the world.

There are numerous examples of athletes in all sports falling off a cliff in terms of performance in a short period of time. Someone being good 2 years ago does not mean they will still be good in present day.

Now I'm not saying Wingels isn't going to be an upgrade over the junk we are rolling out on our 4th line, but I don't think we can exactly expect the player that got the multiyear $2mil+ contract the Sharks had to trade away.

For whatever reason his performance has declined. But he's 28 years old and all sorts of things could be the cause of his dip in performance. Coach found a new favourite; nagging injuries; etc.

My point was that we've got a player who, right now, is an upgrade to our 4th line. We also got a player who proved for two seasons that he has what it takes to be a 15 goal, 20 assist player who is defensively responsible. That's pretty big upside for what we gave away. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he returns to that type of performance.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
I like it. Boucher has been juggling Lazar, Kelly and Neil because they're not good enough to work as a decent fourth line together.

I heard he's got good speed and he's relentless on the fore check. Fits right in with Boucher's first on puck mentality.

I also like that he's got 45 playoffs game.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

While Wingels might have been a bit of a Greening (I believe he was playing second line minutes in those seasons, or at the very least Sharks were rolling three scoring lines) contract... The system has changed up a bit there too. So perhaps under Boucher we see the old Wingels.

He's in a contract year, so if anything is going to motivate him this is definitely the time.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Good upgrade to the bottom 6.

With what we gave up, there is really nothing to complain about.

I have a gut feeling this is the start to a bigger trade.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Seems like Wingels fell out of favour when DeBoer became San Jose's head coach. In the couple of years before that, he was among the league leaders in hits, played in all situations, scored close to a point every 2nd game and was good enough to get a 3 year deal worth almost 2.5 per year, so I'm hoping that his lack of success these last two years has more to do with not fitting well into the new system rather than him wearing down and losing some of his ability. I guess we'll see shortly. It looks like a good deal, though, didn't give up much and our bottom 6 was much in need of improvement.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Plan the parade boys, Wingels is the kind of elite depth that puts teams over the top

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad