HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Having a top-4 caliber D playing the 3rd pair is not a problem for me, as long as the Ds playing in the first two pairs are better than him.

As for Andersson, i was for the Habs getting him but with Laine gone now and the first two lines struggling (at the moment), i'm not sure that it's the right time to go spend significant assets to get help for the short term, even if he could maybe help for the longer term too.
Absolutely. Andersson is a move that we should only make next summer while we can extend him. I only invest in a top 4 RHD if it's for the long term. And i would pay the price. We have the assets to pull it off without touching Huston, Guhle, Reinbacher or any of our top 6 forwards (including Hage).

Reactions: ML16

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Absolutely. Andersson is a move that we should only make next summer while we can extend him. I only invest in a top 4 RHD if it's for the long term. And i would pay the price. We have the assets to pull it off without touching Huston, Guhle, Reinbacher or any of our top 6 forwards (including Hage).
Like i said before, i'll be very surprised if Andersson is not traded before next trade deadline. Next summer will likely be too late.

Reactions: Benstheman

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I get why so many are looking at Andersson as a potential solution for RD, but dont forget that if you like him, other do to, and the odds of getting him are slim to none. People should start looking at "other" options.

The guy I wanted to get was Pesce last summer. i'm not sure if MTL was on him or not, but at 5,5M/6yr this was an ok to give contract in my view.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I get why so many are looking at Andersson as a potential solution for RD, but dont forget that if you like him, other do to, and the odds of getting him are slim to none. People should start looking at "other" options.

The guy I wanted to get was Pesce last summer. i'm not sure if MTL was on him or not, but at 5,5M/6yr this was an ok to give contract in my view.

Why other options?

Which contending teams have a deeper bench of picks and prospects to get Andersson?

Most of the teams with that level of capital are not ready to make that transition.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Why other options?

Which contending teams have a deeper bench of picks and prospects to get Andersson?

Most of the teams with that level of capital are not ready to make that transition.

I usually don't pin my hopes on just one alternative in life. While I also like Andresson as a solution, I also realize that other teams may want him more then MTL for a cup run, thus making his acquisition much harder. The question is not who's richer then you, the question is who's willing to pay more, and to that I can't guaranty KH is willing to over pay.

Like I said, i'd be happy with Andersson, just think that there is a low odds of happening.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I usually don't pin my hopes on just one alternative in life. While I also like Andresson as a solution, I also realize that other teams may want him more then MTL for a cup run, thus making his acquisition much harder. The question is not who's richer then you, the question is who's willing to pay more, and to that I can't guaranty KH is willing to over pay.

Like I said, i'd be happy with Andersson, just think that there is a low odds of happening.

I don't think any move is a guarantee and I also agree that Hughes won't overpay for the sake of it.. but Calgary would be selling Andersson for futures and we might be able to outbid most teams from that perspective, meaning we could be a legitimate player for him if he hits the market and Hugo think he's the right guy to target.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I don't think any move is a guarantee and I also agree that Hughes won't overpay for the sake of it.. but Calgary would be selling Andersson for futures and we might be able to outbid most teams from that perspective, meaning we could be a legitimate player for him if he hits the market and Hugo think he's the right guy to target.
Agreed. I guess i'm coming at this from the point of view that he's a legit good RD so there will be lots of interest if Calgary tries to trade him.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Agreed. I guess i'm coming at this from the point of view that he's a legit good RD so there will be lots of interest if Calgary tries to trade him.

Absolutely there will be, but I also think that we would be at the top of the list of suitors because of what we have to offer in trades that would be of particular interest to Calgary.

Most contending teams would be offering picks they would know would be later and the prospects they would offer would likely be contested by anything we could offer.

Reactions: Kosseca

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
We need a young version of McDonagh except at RD. I'd trade Reinbacher+ for one tbh as I don't trust knee injuries to ever fully heal. The issue is who even fits the mold? Most young guys are offensively minded nowadays.

Jiricek seems to have a bad relationship with Columbus.

Seider would be ideal but zero chance Detroit moves him.

Just looking through the league at young RD, it's very obvious why they valued Reinbacher so high as there's just not many good ones out there and every contender has one while pretenders like the Leafs don't.

Andersson might be the only realistic target. Dobson would be great if he somehow angers Lou for not signing a second bridge deal or something. I feel like Nemec could be had in the right deal.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
What about David Jiricek in Columbus? Hasn’t been able to crack the lineup full time, and seems to be extremely frustrated with the organization.

Would it be worthwhile exploring a trade with Columbus where they’d take Barron, and a prospect/pick for Jiricek? I don’t know what the add would be from our end, I know it would likely have to be a piece that hurts.

I’d contemplate moving Struble, simply to balance out the number of right/left hand shots on the back end.

Hutson - Guhle
Matheson - Jiricek
Xhekaj - Savard

In a couple of years you’d have:

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Jiricek
Xhekaj - Mailloux

I think that looks like a championship calibre of defense. Lots of skill, terrific skaters, great offense and defense, size and grit.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
What about David Jiricek in Columbus? Hasn’t been able to crack the lineup full time, and seems to be extremely frustrated with the organization.

Jiricek situation in Columbus is a shitshow. The team thinks he’s not ready for the NHL but he disagrees. His skating in particular needs serious work. Lateral and backwards skating are nowhere near NHL standard for a defenseman, dude can't defend righ now. He got sent down the last 2 years and apparently he doesn’t want to go back again.

Blue Jackets beat writer Aaron Portzline wrote this recently :

Here are a few things give me pause right now - Portzline’s Sunday gathering

Waddell said he kept Walsh (Jiricek’s agent) aware that coaches were going to turn it up a notch on Jiricek. It’s important, he knows, for all parties to be on board. Part of that is Jiricek’s willingness to accept constructive criticism from a GM and coach with long NHL resumes.

“We made it clear to (Jiricek) that if we’re not trying to help him, we’re not doing our job,” Waddell said. “But he’s got to help himself, too.”

I think there could be a consideration of moving Jiricek, it certainly doesn’t make sense to sit him at the NHL level, and you wonder what might happen if you send him down again.

Then on the Inside Edge on Tuesday Jody Shelley was talking about when we might see Mateychuk

“So they have eight bodies here. Who knows how it’s going to shake out, but the way it’s going to start, you know, you’ve got some good veteran players back there. Mateychuk is a puck mover, a skater that can help you get out of your zone.

Let’s see how the first few games go here with the Blue Jackets. It’s such a key to be able to get out of your zone cleanly and to have an asset like that in Cleveland. I would expect maybe a trade, maybe some moves to make a spot for him.”

This just seems like a lot of interesting development- I guess they could be talking about Provorov? But why is he playing on the right? Or maybe Harris? But that seems weird that they would trade him right after acquiring him.

I also really can’t see Jiricek handling it well if he went back to Cleveland and Mateychuk stayed up here at one point.

And when he was still the head coach for the Jackets last year, this is what Pascal Vincent said about Jiricek.

jriii.PNG

So, another McGroarty/Askarov situation. Give me NHL NOW! But Columbus disagrees.

If you head over to the CBJ board, you’ll get a feel for what they think about him as a fanbase. Not good.

If you don’t want to head over there, this the resume ; He looked bad in camp, healthy scratch for the first 3 games of the season, doesn’t want to go down. Definitely could be trade bait sooner than later. Some posters talking about flipping him for Rasmus Andersson.

Last edited:

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Jiricek situation in Columbus is a shitshow. The team thinks he’s not ready for the NHL but he disagrees. His skating in particular needs serious work. Lateral and backwards skating are nowhere near NHL standard for a defenseman, dude can't defend righ now. He got sent down the last 2 years and apparently he doesn’t want to go back again.

Blue Jackets beat writer Aaron Portzline wrote this recently :

Here are a few things give me pause right now - Portzline’s Sunday gathering

Waddell said he kept Walsh (Jiricek’s agent) aware that coaches were going to turn it up a notch on Jiricek. It’s important, he knows, for all parties to be on board. Part of that is Jiricek’s willingness to accept constructive criticism from a GM and coach with long NHL resumes.

“We made it clear to (Jiricek) that if we’re not trying to help him, we’re not doing our job,” Waddell said. “But he’s got to help himself, too.”

I think there could be a consideration of moving Jiricek, it certainly doesn’t make sense to sit him at the NHL level, and you wonder what might happen if you send him down again.

Then on the Inside Edge on Tuesday Jody Shelley was talking about when we might see Mateychuk

“So they have eight bodies here. Who knows how it’s going to shake out, but the way it’s going to start, you know, you’ve got some good veteran players back there. Mateychuk is a puck mover, a skater that can help you get out of your zone.

Let’s see how the first few games go here with the Blue Jackets. It’s such a key to be able to get out of your zone cleanly and to have an asset like that in Cleveland. I would expect maybe a trade, maybe some moves to make a spot for him.”

This just seems like a lot of interesting development- I guess they could be talking about Provorov? But why is he playing on the right? Or maybe Harris? But that seems weird that they would trade him right after acquiring him.

I also really can’t see Jiricek handling it well if he went back to Cleveland and Mateychuk stayed up here at one point.

And when he was still the head coach for the Jackets last year, this is what Pascal Vincent said about Jiricek.

View attachment 917253

So, another McGroarty/Askarov situation. Give me NHL NOW! But Columbus disagrees.

If you head over to the CBJ board, you’ll get a feel for what they think about him as a fanbase. Not good.

If you don’t want to head over there, this the resume ; He looked bad in camp, healthy scratch for the first 3 games of the season, doesn’t want to go down. Definitely could be trade bait sooner than later. Some posters talking about flipping him for Rasmus Andersson.
Id offer up Reinbacher and Mesar for Jiricek straight up.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Young players demanding NHL time right away are annoying. That being said, I don't really see what more he can do at the AHL level. He's been very good there.

Not sure what Columbus management was thinking when building their defense. They add Provorov, Severson, and Gudbranson which pretty much prevents Jiricek from playing anytime soon.

However, Jiricek would cost an arm and a leg, Provorov's contract expires this year, and Gudbranson has one more year (and just had an injury which does not look good).

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Again, the discussion here was about Matheson for Andersson.

Guhle - Andersson
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron
Struble
Acquiring Andersson type going to be hard to do and expensive.

Do like St.Louis did with Broberg. Offer sheet a young D coming off an ELC. Give up a 2nd, but is well worth it. Somebody struggled in past but just coming into their own.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022

Do like St.Louis did with Broberg. Offer sheet a young D coming off an ELC. Give up a 2nd, but is well worth it. Somebody struggled in past but just coming into their own.
That is not the path for us anymore. We need top talent RHD and only two names could be available next summer. Noah Dobson is not realistic, because NYI will have ton of cap space and they will match any offer. Evan Bouchard might be possible if EDM does the same mistake, but we have to offer at least 2x11,4M, but even that would be probably matched by EDM.
Nemec or Jiricek could be options year later.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That is not the path for us anymore. We need top talent RHD and only two names could be available next summer. Noah Dobson is not realistic, because NYI will have ton of cap space and they will match any offer. Evan Bouchard might be possible if EDM does the same mistake, but we have to offer at least 2x11,4M, but even that would be probably matched by EDM.
Nemec or Jiricek could be options year later.

I'd wait. Lots will happen in the next two seasons with our group and with other teams. Wait for the right circumstance.

This team is going to move the up the standings but we are not contenders until Suzuki is around 27/28 and Demidov is 21/22 (everyone else in the middle of this range). We got 2 or 3 more transition years IMO.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

The goal here is not just to get talent, but to get talent that complements the one we already have.

Chances are very slim that we get a Broberg situation with one of those.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Andersson would be for the no.4D spot to be paired with Hutson. This means Savard is traded or allowed to walk as a UFA. With Guhle as the no.2D, we are left to fill the critical no.1D spot, the one we hope Reinbacher can fill. Then the rest of the prospects fight for the bottom pair and we move several of them.

Price for a good TDL UFA is a late 1st and a good B prospect. Much sought after UFA you add of course.

The Reinbacher injury is real bad for the team development into a long term contender. We have Matheson for now thank goodness and that helps for the next couple of years.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Yes Andersson would be costly but he is a known commodity and one we absolutely need, as Reinbacher and Mailloux are mostly ??? right now.

Think about it. If we wait 3-4 more years just to see Reinbacher becoming a 2nd pair D and Mailloux a bottom pair. We are f***ed.

Now with a guy like Andersson who still has 5-6 years of prime, we know we have a decent top pair D to complement Guhle long term. Gives Reinbacher and Mailloux time to develop properly with the team. And if Reinbacher finally develops as a solid 1st pair D, him and Andersson can switch spot before Andersson starts to decline.

In my opinion, getting him is a no brainer and a deal important enough to accept overpaying a bit to get it done.

Reactions: Treb

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Andersson would be for the no.4D spot to be paired with Hutson. This means Savard is traded or allowed to walk as a UFA. With Guhle as the no.2D, we are left to fill the critical no.1D spot, the one we hope Reinbacher can fill. Then the rest of the prospects fight for the bottom pair and we move several of them.

Price for a good TDL UFA is a late 1st and a good B prospect. Much sought after UFA you add of course.

The Reinbacher injury is real bad for the team development into a long term contender. We have Matheson for now thank goodness and that helps for the next couple of years.
Rasmus Andersson is not a no.4 D. Just entered his prime 2 years ago and is actually a good no.2 imo. He is not perfect, having some defensive warts at time but he is a total package in a sense that he can play 23-25 minutes per game, lay some big hits, produce offensively and all in all, pretty decent defensively. Really mobile also, great skating. For me, perfect compliment to play on the right side of Guhle.

As for Hutson, i think Reinbacher will be his perfect partner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad