HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Again, the discussion here was about Matheson for Andersson.

Guhle - Andersson
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron
Struble
Even with Andersson in the line-up, Guhle won't be moved to the left side. Savard is currently averaging 16 minutes TOI (Barron/Xhekaj get even lower minutes). Guhle will stay on the right side until the Habs have two RHD who can play 18-20+ minutes each. Matheson/Hutson provide those minutes on the left side already. Guhle provide it on the right side right now.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Again, the discussion here was about Matheson for Andersson.

Guhle - Andersson
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron
Struble
I don't think that Guhle playing on the right side is a big deal.
He said it himself on L'Antichambre Saturday after the game and he seemed genuine about it.
Said he took reps on the right side all summer to get used to it and so far it seems to work fine.

I see him playing with Hutson for a long time.

I think Savard is more suited to play on the 3rd pair.
Too bad Struble is hurt because he looked good enough to play top 4.

I could see them trying those pairs when Struble returns:

Hutson - Guhle
Matheson - Struble
Xhekaj - Savard
Barron

With Andersson instead of Matheson, they'd have Struble playing the left side.

Hutson - Guhle
Struble - Andersson
Xhekaj - Savard
Barron

I'd be surprised if it happens anyway.
I don't think Matheson has that much value and Andersson will cost too much.
And, again, Matheson has a NTC, he's not gonna want to go to Calgary.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Even with Andersson in the line-up, Guhle won't be moved to the left side. Savard is currently averaging 16 minutes TOI (Barron/Xhekaj get even lower minutes). Guhle will stay on the right side until the Habs have two RHD who can play 18-20+ minutes each. Matheson/Hutson provide those minutes on the left side already. Guhle provide it on the right side right now.

So what you're saying is that in that scenario you would go:
Hutson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Andersson
Struble - Savard

????

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He's a natural LD and we have an imbalance of LD/RD.

Trading Matheson for a RD puts Guhle back on his more comfortable side and lessen the LD logjam.

I don't see how Matheson fit in this team past the short term.
We have too many RH centres in our core and near-core. Suzuki, Dach, Hage, Kapanen, Beck. I don't see how Suzuki fits long-term and he's the oldest of the guys. By the time many of the fans here are ready to compete, Suzuki will be needing a new contract that will take him to 38 years old.

Trade him now for a LH center. Celebrini or Jack Hughes will do, and if we have to add, then add.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
We have too many RH centres in our core and near-core. Suzuki, Dach, Hage, Kapanen, Beck. I don't see how Suzuki fits long-term and he's the o,ldest of the guys. By the time many of the fans here are ready to compete, Suzuki will be needing a new contract that will take him to 39 years old.

Trade him now for a LH center. Celebrini or Jack Hughes will do, and if we have to add, then add.

Good job proving you're not discussing in good faith.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Good job proving you're not discussing in good faith.
Not agreeing with my opinion about Matheson does not mean I am arguing in "bad faith".

@Treb says he "can't see" Matheson fitting long-term. But many of the arguments to support that opinion would apply to Suzuki too, including the plus/minus stat some like to trot out for Matheson.

Of course, trading Suzuki-plus for Jack Hughes is not likely. I don't think trading Matheson-plus for some true 1st pairing RHD is likely either.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
So what you're saying is that in that scenario you would go:
Hutson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Andersson
Struble - Savard

????
Swap Xhekaj/Struble. Xhekaj is bad defensively, Struble is better in his own zone.

And Guhle or Andersson on the top line, not sure which one would be better with Hutson.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Of course, trading Suzuki-plus for Jack Hughes is not likely. I don't think trading Matheson-plus for some true 1st pairing RHD is likely either.
Have to agree here.

It's unlikely there is a sufficiently sexy RH dman prospect who is close enough to NHL-ready to be worth trading against Matheson.

I don't love Matheson but he could be a solid contributor to any winning team. That is to say, he's not the problem. We need to acquire or develop better d-men around him. Guhle is one of them. Maybe Hutson too. Need another RD.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Have to agree here.

It's unlikely there is a sufficiently sexy RH dman prospect who is close enough to NHL-ready to be worth trading against Matheson.

I don't love Matheson but he could be a solid contributor to any winning team. That is to say, he's not the problem. We need to acquire or develop better d-men around him. Guhle is one of them. Maybe Hutson too. Need another RD.
Yes, building means adding talent, not sideways moves, nor shedding salary for the sake of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad