HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Hudson Fashcing - has size and might be a later bloomer to being an OK player.

Jan Jenik - physical, agitator and can produce. Might be worth the chance to claim him and see what he can do.

Jeffrey Viel- tough gut, physical, would realize some pressure from Xhekaj to have to fight/be the guy who defends the team. Expect no offense.

Cole Scwindt - big body, started off very promising in the A, but seems to just match, or be close to that total and isn't improving.

Jakob Pelletier - too good for the AHL, not good enough for the NHL. Size is an issue. If he clears I hope the Habs try and trade for him, send him down and have him as the first call up.

Nolan Foote - pedigree/name recognition, but good size could be a potential 4th liner as he is a bigger boy and might be taken longer to get things going.

Zach Ashton-Reese - bit of an agitator/energy guy. Would be similar to Pezzetta imo.

Raphael Lavoie - big boy, the game I saw of him in the pre-season he had a bunch of chances, but couldn't score. Isn't afraid afraid get physical. Might be an OK choice for the 2nd line, but would look weird to pick a guy from waivers and give him top 6 minutes.
Not bad I guess 3 of the players mentioned got claimed.

By other teams

Schwindt would have been nice

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Well he for sure could be of interest for another team. Maybe there is more in him than he displayed.

its just a classic case of a former 1st rd pick francophone otherwise i doubt we would hear about him

kravstov was bounced around here a lot...

names like Holloway, Broberg, Glass etc have made the rounds over the years.

Certainly, any first round pick that is also francophone gets more attention from our fan base (as they should IMO... local/ "homegrown" regional talent is something most fan bases in global pro sports pay attention to, even more so when there is a distinct cultural/language factor).

Pelletier has been, when healthy, very productive at the AHL level, I think we'd see similar chatter around any recent 1st round talent that hit the waiver wire imo

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Food for thought. If Pelletier was Slovakian, would anyone here even know who he was based on his career thus far? 🤔

Is it really that shocking for people here to be more likely to know about a tweener who played in the QMJHL than some equivalent tweener who likely played in the Extraliga or the 1. Liga during his "junior years"? 🤔

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Food for thought. If Pelletier was Slovakian, would anyone here even know who he was based on his career thus far? 🤔

No, but it's normal to look at the local players. I don't mind it at all and we've had some that outperformed once they got here, like Danault. Laval is also a great place for them to play.

Funnily enough, I'd target bigger OHL players. The GTL has so many great hockey schools and skill coaches that there are regularly some gems that are drafted later or even undrafted. As much as I like to laugh at the Leafs, they found guys like Marchment, Bunting and Hyman that way. They've been good at getting players from western Canada too, where they also have some good hockey academies. In Quebec, it's either overpriced garbage or good schools, that don't have the ressources or are good at what they do (giving a decent hockey education, but not set up to develop elite players). I've actually seen a top 2025 draft eligible Q player do his own stuff with his close entourage rather than hire a local. If my kid was serious about hockey and a legitimate high level player, I'd likely send him in Ontario or a US prep school/USHL.

Reactions: vokiel

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Is it really that shocking for people here to be more likely to know about a tweener who played in the QMJHL than some equivalent tweener who likely played in the Extraliga or the 1. Liga during his "junior years"? 🤔
What’s really shocking is that these people have apparently seen him and still want him. He’s shown nothing at the NHL level, he’s undersized he’s often injured and Habs already have enough of this type of player in the system.

So why I’m saying is that the ONLY reason they’d want him is because he’s a local kid. Because there’s no other reason why I’d imagine anyone else would want to give him a roster spot over the kids we already have.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
What’s really shocking is that these people have apparently seen him and still want him. He’s shown nothing at the NHL level, he’s undersized he’s often injured and Habs already have enough of this type of player in the system.

So why I’m saying is that the ONLY reason they’d want him is because he’s a local kid. Because there’s no other reason why I’d imagine anyone else would want to give him a roster spot over the kids we already have.

HFHabs lust for waive wires has always been a thing.
We had people willing to start a reclamation project on Grigorenko, heck even Zadina, because they knew the players at theirs peaks. It's probably the same for Pelletier, who barely played in the NHL, they remember him torching the Q.

The kid that hit his peak while playing in European league, won't gather the same amount of interest in the same situation, which is understandable since he never got that kind of exposure to the fanbase.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Price reported for his physical, Lehner refused to.

Interesting , so if you refuse to report I imagine insurance doesn't cover you and the team has to buy you out or something? Must be quite the legalities

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Interesting , so if you refuse to report I imagine insurance doesn't cover you and the team has to buy you out or something? Must be quite the legalities

I don't think he refused, he just didn't show up. The team can do pretty much whatever they want in this situation, if Mark Stone doesn't show up for medical they just reschedule or drive the medical staff to his place. With Lehner they took the routes that was the most convenient for them, first by trying to terminate his contract then settling for a paid suspension.

Reactions: Habs

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
If you do not report, the team can terminate your contract since it's a breach of contract.

Most players want their money so they try to avoid breach of contract.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

To be put on LTIR, you need to fail your physical. No physical, no LTIR.

Refusing to report is a breach of contract by the player meaning the team can suspend the player without pay (which happened with Byfuglien) or try to terminate the contract.

Lehner was able to negotiate a contract termination where he actually get his money to avoid a battle between Vegas and the NHLPA, which is what happened with Byfuglien when he was suspended without pay.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
To be put on LTIR, you need to fail your physical. No physical, no LTIR.

Refusing to report is a breach of contract by the player meaning the team can suspend the player without pay (which happened with Byfuglien) or try to terminate the contract.

Lehner was able to negotiate a contract termination where he actually get his money to avoid a battle between Vegas and the NHLPA, which is what happened with Byfuglien when he was suspended without pay.

interesting so Vegas may have actually been in the good books here for once.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
interesting so Vegas may have actually been in the good books here for once.

Lots of people hating on it, but at the end Lehner was the leader in that saga. If he reported, he goes on LTIR, gets his salary and Vegas can't do anything.

If there wasn't mental health considerations in Lehner's case, I'm pretty sure Vegas would have fought to pay less than Lehner's full salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad