HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Fourth line, yeah no.

What's the alternative? Big boy, can play hockey and be physical. How many of those do we have right now that can play in a supporting role? Evans is small. Pezzeta can fight but he's also not big. Gally is also small. The idea is to create a fourth line of big guys that can play hockey. I could easily see Kovacevic being remade into the perfect 4th liner that we need. But too late now.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
John Hayden is on waivers.
He's a big boy who's not afraid to drop the mitts.
Might be a good pick up for at least the start of the season against Toronto, Boston and Ottawa.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
If all 3 top lines are filled with softies again, we're going to have another painful season to watch.

The time to move the xtras might be now. So Newhook is a good piece to dangle imho. Better than Roy anyhow.

These 2 are just tweeners in the grand scheme of things, they're not core at all.
Dvorak, Armia and Evans are pending UFAs. Laine is missing significant playing time for the fourth consecutive season (and it's far from a sure thing he'll be in Montréal beyond his current contract), Anderson and Gallagher are on the decline, and none of the young guys (Roy, Kapanen, etc.) have yet to demonstrate they can contribute at the NHL level. The team is in no position to get rid of a young, versatile forward like Newhook at this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: BaseballCoach

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Dvorak, Armia and Evans are pending UFAs. Laine is missing significant playing time for the fourth consecutive season (and it's far from a sure thing he'll be in Montréal beyond his current contract), Anderson and Gallagher are on the decline, and none of the young guys (Roy, Kapanen, etc.) have yet to demonstrate they can contribute at the NHL level. The team is in no position to get rid of a young, versatile forward like Newhook at this time.
They'll be around TDL :naughty:

Positive Vibes

Habs4Life
Jun 24, 2016
Canada
While i do agree with most of this, Roy looked pretty good in the smaller sample size in the games he played last year before he got injured but has shown that he can fit in at the highest level and contribute to the team.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The top 6 will have: Slaf, Suzuki, Caufield, Laine, Demidov, Dach.

We need more grit, less ballerinas and Kapanen is a better center, so either Roy or Newhook needs to be swapped for more incisive options.
You perhaps fail to consider that Kapanen is only 2yrs younger than Newhook...

At the same age, Newhook was well ahead of him. There's very little reason to believe Kapanen is going to be a better NHLer, and even if he does one day surpass Newhook, zero reason to view that as an either or.

Newhook may well be on the verge of a significant step forward. What he showed after returning from injury last year and so far this year, points to another big step in productivity. At <3M for next 3 years, he could well be one of the best bargains in the league before his deal is up.

I couldn't disagree more with your assessment... Let's revisit next fall, shall we?

Reactions: the and Whalers Fan

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
You perhaps fail to consider that Kapanen is only 2yrs younger than Newhook...

At the same age, Newhook was well ahead of him. There's very little reason to believe Kapanen is going to be a better NHLer, and even if he does one day surpass Newhook, zero reason to view that as an either or.

Newhook may well be on the verge of a significant step forward. What he showed after returning from injury last year and so far this year, points to another big step in productivity. At <3M for next 3 years, he could well be one of the best bargains in the league before his deal is up.

I couldn't disagree more with your assessment... Let's revisit next fall, shall we?
Newhook at center is lacking the pursuit, which Kapanen has a lot more. The only thing Kapanen needs to work on to get a spot in the NHL is his faceoffs. If he can work this thoroughly in the SHL, he'll be an upgrade over a Newhook at center easily.

On the wing, it looks like Laine could be pushing him out of his shooter role, so come the TDL, if we can swing big in a trade with him, I'd do it.

How about we use Newhook or Roy and Barron to get Rasmus Andersson?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Newhook at center is lacking the pursuit, which Kapanen has a lot more. The only thing Kapanen needs to work on to get a spot in the NHL is his faceoffs. If he can work this thoroughly in the SHL, he'll be an upgrade over a Newhook at center easily.
Time will tell. But again, I don't think Kapanen becoming a quality top 9 C makes Newhook obsolete, nor assures him of being the more valuable contributor. Newhook may well top out at a ppg+ winger, not sure Kapanen has similarly high offensive ceiling. that Newhook is versatile enough to also slot in at C is an asset.

On the wing, it looks like Laine could be pushing him out of his shooter role, so come the TDL, if we can swing big in a trade with him, I'd do it.
This year? Laine returning pushes an Anderson or Roy out of the top 6, not Newhook imo.

How about we use Newhook or Roy and Barron to get Rasmus Andersson?

There's certainly offers that would make trading Newhook feasible, but again, his ceiling and contract make it very unlikely KH will move him imo. The offer would have to be of the kind that would drive the main board nuts if it were to be proposed lol

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Time will tell. But again, I don't think Kapanen becoming a quality top 9 C makes Newhook obsolete, nor assures him of being the more valuable contributor. Newhook may well top out at a ppg+ winger, not sure Kapanen has similarly high offensive ceiling. that Newhook is versatile enough to also slot in at C is an asset.

This year? Laine returning pushes an Anderson or Roy out of the top 6, not Newhook imo.
No next season, when we have to slot Demidov in.
There's certainly offers that would make trading Newhook feasible, but again, his ceiling and contract make it very unlikely KH will move him imo. The offer would have to be of the kind that would drive the main board nuts if it were to be proposed lol
Nothing is telling me Newhook has more hidden potential. He's going to be 24 in January. What he is on the ice right now is likely it, ceiling-wise. So if the plan is to exploit it further then I hope he plays with Suzuki, otherwise you know why I'm saying he's not a core piece.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

It'll be a privilege to have Newhook @3m on the wing of our 3rd line next year (instead of Gally, Armia, Anderson etc) ;)

Nothing is telling me Newhook has more hidden potential. He's going to be 24 in January. What he is on the ice right now is likely it, ceiling-wise. So if the plan is to exploit it further then I hope he plays with Suzuki, otherwise you know why I'm saying he's not a core piece.
It's not hidden. It's right there, plain to see.

50 point pace in his first season with 6 minutes, during his 22-23 year old season on a Habs team with zero scoring depth.

It highly highly unlikely that he won't improve on that over next few seasons... Possible, just not at all probably.

Again, let's revisit next fall

Reactions: the

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
It'll be a privilege to have Newhook @3m on the wing of our 3rd line next year (instead of Gally, Armia, Anderson etc) ;)

It's not hidden. It's right there, plain to see.

50 point pace in his first season with 6 minutes, during his 22-23 year old season on a Habs team with zero scoring depth.

It highly highly unlikely that he won't improve on that over next few seasons... Possible, just not at all probably.

Again, let's revisit next fall
Next fall is right now, so we'll see right?

• Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Statistically speaking, NHL forwards are at their peak between 23-29. So Newhook at 23 last year was just entering his best years. I think he has a few years of better production on him and nothing he’s shown when he’s healthy and playing goes against that. He can easily be a 55-60+ point player in the near future which is 2nd line range and amazing for 3rd line production.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad