HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
No incoming trades till dead line. KH will stay with this for now
I would love to toughen up. Or we will get pushed around. Sheriff cant be everywhere
Yeah, and when he is out, there is no one. Don't need enforcers but they need bigger guys who play physical. With Laine and Demi coming, I like the top 6 but lines 3 and 4 are really bad.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Don't see they have much choice. This is not a well constructed team. Next summer they better use the $$ & assets and add to this team and fix the bottom 6. Top six will self correct with the addition of Laine and Demidov, its the two bottom lines that need serious work.

Also, they need a legit top 4 RD.

At this point, I wouldn't count on Laine. This will be at least the fourth straight season he's missed significant playing time. Right now, it's highly questionable whether he will be in Montreal after his contract expires after the '25-'26 season.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Gezzz stop with the toughnest,
We got Arber, Pezz, Struble, Anderson even Slaf could put some good hits.
I would try Tuch and Florian once in a while.
Slaf is not tough, Pezz is borderline NHL, Struble and Andy don’t play tough.

Sorry this team is soft as butter.

At this point, I wouldn't count on Laine. This will be at least the fourth straight season he's missed significant playing time. Right now, it's highly questionable whether he will be in Montreal after his contract expires after the '25-'26 season.
He might leave after next year, who knows.

This injury was all bad luck, not his fault some dbag stuck out his knee.

If he is out all season. I’ll look forward to seeing him next.

Reactions: Hannibal

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
With Reinbacher essentially gone for the whole year, you have to think that it will take another year or two before he becomes an impactful player in the NHL. Not really sure if you can comfortably trade Mailloux as a result.
Trading Mailloux would have been a big mistake Reinbacher or not. The log jam is on LD not on the right side.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
With Reinbacher essentially gone for the whole year, you have to think that it will take another year or two before he becomes an impactful player in the NHL. Not really sure if you can comfortably trade Mailloux as a result.
Unless Mailloux is the center piece of a package to get a 20 something top 2 RHD like Andersson. Then you're still fine as you're getting a long term established RHD, adding Reinbacher whenever he's ready and still have Barron, Savard and Guhle in a pinch.

Andersson
Savard
Barron

That's a pretty solid right side IMO. Can always add Guhle there if Barron falters or there's an injury.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Trading Mailloux would have been a big mistake Reinbacher or not. The log jam is on LD not on the right side.
This was more about trading him for a top 4 RHD.
Unless Mailloux is the center piece of a package to get a 20 something top 2 RHD like Andersson. Then you're still fine as you're getting a long term established RHD, adding Reinbacher whenever he's ready and still have Barron, Savard and Guhle in a pinch.
I still think that's a very difficult thing to do because until Reinbacher is ready, you only have Andersson. Savard/Barron should not be top 4 dmen for us in the future and Guhle needs to get to his natural side which will happen once Matheson leaves.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Usually offensive center hard to acquire. Everybody wants them. If season goes bad maybe sell hard at deadline? A couple good ones at top of draft. For the love of Jesus I hope he doesn't draft another D? When first line center is available. We overrun with young D now, they take twice as long to develop
Yes, we are at a point now that drafting a possible 2C may be out of our target window as it will take a few years to develop, so the trade route may be the better option along with signing a UFA.. A trade wouldn't be easy but we do have assets.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
This was more about trading him for a top 4 RHD.

I still think that's a very difficult thing to do because until Reinbacher is ready, you only have Andersson. Savard/Barron should not be top 4 dmen for us in the future and Guhle needs to get to his natural side which will happen once Matheson leaves.
Agree but it’s not like Reinbacher showed he was ready to step in anyways. He and Mailloux still need seasoning in AHL before they can be ready for the NHL. Adding an established 40 point, all purpose RD now ensures they’re not rushed and affords the Habs a player now who you hope your prospects can eventually become. It’s a no brainer for me.

goldRIVER

Sep 21, 2017
Man hearing all the people talk about "team toughness" just make me think about Therrrien and Bergevin all over again...

"We need more character, harder in the corners, just dump da puck and cycle."

The moment we try to inject some skills in the lineup, a bunch of people on here are losing their minds.

We have enough team toughness to deal with most teams in the league, enough with this neanderthal mindset. We need more skill, we don't have enough players who are able to make a tape to tape pass or put the puck in the back or the net.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Agree but it’s not like Reinbacher showed he was ready to step in anyways. He and Mailloux still need seasoning in AHL before they can be ready for the NHL. Adding an established 40 point, all purpose RD now ensures they’re not rushed and affords the Habs a player now who you hope your prospects can eventually become. It’s a no brainer for me.
He did need time for sure, but now he needs minimum another year.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Pretty much every major injury felt like a nothing play, outside of Laine.

Add in they happened to big, strong players. It just shows its a crap shoot sometimes

The only thing Hugo need to now realize is that past durability, while not a guarantee, needs to play a big factor when acquiring players.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Even the toughest teams in the league don't really have more than 3-4 regulars who are punishing.

Struble is a tough customer. Arber is among the toughest around.

We've had this discussion before a million times, getting tough does not prevent injuries. It just makes people feel better when they happen because they want "retribution".

Reactions: the

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Even the toughest teams in the league don't really have more than 3-4 regulars who are punishing.

We've had this discussion before a million times, getting tough does not prevent injuries. It just makes people feel better when they happen because they want "retribution".
The toughest teams in the league have players going to war for each other even if they aren't goons. Outside of Xhekaj, nobody on the Habs will do anything meaningful to stand up for their teammates. When he got hired, Hughes made it a point that he was upset by the lack of response when Monty got runover by Kassian, yet nothing has changed besides Xhekaj becoming a regular. It's moreso about the team identity than filling up the team with bruisers.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Gezzz stop with the toughnest,
We got Arber, Pezz, Struble, Anderson even Slaf could put some good hits.
I would try Tuch and Florian once and a while.
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

rightttttttttttttt

Edit: to be fair - I stopped reading at his name. He's an okay hitter. But his fight the other night was atrocious. I'm not even a fan of fighting, but if you're going to do it... do it.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

Tough does not mean fighting in today’s game. It’s one component, it’s about being hard to play against, finishing checks, having an edge, and IF you have to fight than one can. These guys tire the opponent done. Size and phyiscality increases in importance in the playoffs.

Florida is the perfect example of a team with skill and toughness throughout their lineup. Sam Bennett is the perfect example of such guy.

Habs bottom size are so easy to play against. 3 or 4, the habs have 1. In today’s game, tougher players also have to be able to play.

Andy and Struble are not difficult to play against. As far a Pezz, but he is a borderline NHLer who shouldn’t be in the lineup everyday.

Habs are soft as butter

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Dach, Matheson, Slaf, Anderson, Struble, Arber, Gallagher, Pezz all fit this description.

No team has all 18 skaters who are tough.
You’ve got to be joking!!

Dach, Math, Andy, Gally, and Slaf???

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
More of a reason to add a guy like Andersson (or similar) as the gap in time has increased significantly for a team who was already lacking a top 2 RD.
Don't disagree, but using Mailloux as the main piece kind of defeats the purpose. Of course there are many factors that play here as well such as our 2 1sts where we can draft a stud defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad