HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Trevor Zegras, you are back on the menu.

Exactly what I thought about last night. :laugh:

Do we have to protect Laine? Another team won't claim if he is indeed injured long term. Most teams up against cap, only few interested when Colombus had Laine. You know he won't be claimed they have to pay him for 2 years only get 1 year service. Opens up a roster spot. Put Laine on LTIR once season starts.

Not required. We have enough guys that can go on waivers (exempt) temporary to the AHL if we choose that.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Do we have to protect Laine? Another team won't claim if he is indeed injured long term. Most teams up against cap, only few interested when Colombus had Laine. You know he won't be claimed they have to pay him for 2 years only get 1 year service. Opens up a roster spot. Put Laine on LTIR once season starts.
You can’t send down an injured player. Just IR or LTIR for cap relief.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
How's that affect our cap at end of camp? I know we can only protect so many players?

Can we do like Armia last year? To save the 9 million caproom?
Assuming Laine goes on LTIR, his entire cap is taken off but it can’t accumulate throughout the season as if it were open cap space. Still, his and Price would come off giving Habs near $20M in cap.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Assuming Laine goes on LTIR, his entire cap is taken off but it can’t accumulate throughout the season as if it were open cap space. Still, his and Price would come off giving Habs near $20M in cap.
We have to be cap compliant end of camp they always said. Then use LTIR at start of game 1.

Like to do with Laine like we did with Armia last year. Unprotect him, to gain roster spot and caproom. Then add him back. If possible?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
We have to be cap compliant end of camp they always said. Then use LTIR at start of game 1.

Like to do with Laine like we did with Armia last year. Unprotect him, to gain roster spot and caproom. Then add him back. If possible?
The Habs have to get below the cap before the season. Habs would like to get below it before season starts and then add injured players to LTIR so the space they make can grow throughout the season. Hughes said this is what he wants to do, whether he can or how he does it, I guess we’ll see.

But there is no “protecting” players or movement while they’re injured. They stay on LTIF until they are fit for play and then can be demoted or inserted into the lineup. Until then, they’re just sidelined and won’t have to pass through waivers etc.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Growing cap space for this season looks useless now. We're not going to be buyers at the TDL, we'll be sellers as usual.
With Price and Laine on LTIR, the team will have approximately $20M in available cap space. There will be plenty of room to make moves, even without being able accumulate additional space during the season.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
With Price and Laine on LTIR, the team will have approximately $20M in available cap space. There will be plenty of room to make moves, even without being able accumulate additional space during the season.
True, but since they're not anything close to being competitive, I doubt that makes any difference.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Growing cap space for this season looks useless now. We're not going to be buyers at the TDL, we'll be sellers as usual.
Probably true but having the ability to take on cap will be valuable to collect more assets that they can then use to add to a bigger package and get better players for next year.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Probably true but having the ability to take on cap will be valuable to collect more assets that they can then use to add to a bigger package and get better players for next year.
I doubt they have the motivation to sacrifice any serious pieces in significant packages.

I bet this GM is praying this roster and his gambles are going to save his ass.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
We have 11 picks in the top 3 rounds of the next two drafts and a consensus top 5 prospect pool in the league that is universally recognized as having insane depth.

Name me the contenders that come close to that war chest.
I agree we have MORE pick and prospects. Contenders may not have our abundance of picks and prospects but I'd disagree that they don't have enough to make an rental-style overpayment for Rasmussen. And Hughes doesn't overpay. Thus, making this acquisition highly unlikely to happen.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
"The Habs have too many forwards and defensemen of everybody is healthy, HuGo needs to make some trades."

I think there's a cap on LTIR.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
We don't know if we have a 2C, a 1D or a 3D, or a starting goalie. We need to hang onto the most valuable of assets as long as we can until we have at least a good idea if not answers to these questions. So spending lots of assets on a winger now is not a priority. So if next year it doesn't look like Dach or anybody else we have can be a 2C then by all means maybe use our 1st rounder and other assets to try and land one, as an example.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
We don't know if we have a 2C, a 1D or a 3D, or a starting goalie. We need to hang onto the most valuable of assets as long as we can until we have at least a good idea if not answers to these questions. So spending lots of assets on a winger now is not a priority. So if next year it doesn't look like Dach or anybody else we have can be a 2C then by all means maybe use our 1st rounder and other assets to try and land one, as an example.
Dack IS a 2C. The question is can he stay healthy.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The only reason we don't know if we have a 2C is because he is injury prone. There is no doubt Dach is at least a top 50 C if healthy.

Guhle is an unconventional 1D but he can certainly be one as good as Slavin. Moreno, Hutson looks like he's as dynamic as any other Ds in this league.

The only real question mark is Hutson at ES.

Montambeault has been one of the better goaltender in the league for two years running, I think it's safe to say he's at least a mid pack starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad