HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Man, after the top 6 the habs have a lot of forwards:

Armia, Anderson, Gallagher, Evans, Dvorak, RHP (injured), Pezzetta, and then you have Kapanen, Beck, Roy, Heineman. I could see Tuch being ready to get some games by year end. You have to also think that Demidov will join the team next year.

Then there is still the army of defensemen: Matheson, Savard, Guhle, Hutson, Xhekaj, Struble, Barron, Reinbacher, Mailloux.

The habs also have a mega surplus of picks.

Hard not to think that some other move is coming.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I would add one more, but that is a tricky one. It seems like we have great depth at center with Suzuki, Dach, Kapanen, Beck, Hage, maybe even Koivu, but they are all right-handed. Only leftie is Newhook and maybe Kidney. Did it ever happen that team had 4 righties at center?
If I recall properly, the Soviet team of the 70s was filled with left-handed players, as ironic as that reads.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Man, after the top 6 the habs have a lot of forwards:

Armia, Anderson, Gallagher, Evans, Dvorak, RHP (injured), Pezzetta, and then you have Kapanen, Beck, Roy, Heineman. I could see Tuch being ready to get some games by year end. You have to also think that Demidov will join the team next year.

Then there is still the army of defensemen: Matheson, Savard, Guhle, Hutson, Xhekaj, Struble, Barron, Reinbacher, Mailloux.

The habs also have a mega surplus of picks.

Hard not to think that some other move is coming.
I think a DvO trade has to be in the works. Even if we get a 4th rounder to him and make room for Kapanen

Reactions: Habs 4 Life

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I think a DvO trade has to be in the works. Even if we get a 4th rounder to him and make room for Kapanen
I'm good with a conditional 7th round pick... There is no need for him, and keeping him around just to hope he has an ok injury free season to flip him at the deadline for not more than a 3rd isn't worth him keeping around at the expense of a young player like Kapanen

There are many more young players that are NHL ready coming here in the next year or two, let's see how KH deals with this. I think he needs to make space for kids that earn that spot unlike previous management that always kept rewarding the veterans . Should be an interesting 2 weeks ahead here

Reactions: SwiftyHab

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
If I recall properly, the Soviet team of the 70s was filled with left-handed players, as ironic as that reads.
Actually, in communist countries, kids were all forced to be right-handed (write, eat...), so I would assume they were forcing kids to shoot left in hockey. Also it was very difficult to purchase right handed hockey sticks.

Reactions: bsl

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Be f***ing creative Hughes and make it work now.

We need rooms in our bottom 6 for the kids.
Kapanen
Tuch
Heineman

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Why not just waive him instead of giving up a 2nd? It's his last year and the team probably won't make the playoffs, I don't see why we should be giving up picks/prospects for upcoming UFAs.
Waiving is usually last resort for vets, GM tries to trade them first (even if it is for free). So if Dvorak gets waived, it's because nobody wanted his contract.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Be f***ing creative Hughes and make it work now.

We need rooms in our bottom 6 for the kids.
Kapanen
Tuch
Heineman
Yes Kapanen looks like a keeper short and long term.

Tuch can use 1 pr 2 years in the AHL.

Heineman...i don't understand the love. At best a call up imo.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Yes Kapanen looks like a keeper short and long term.

Tuch can use 1 pr 2 years in the AHL.

Heineman...i don't understand the love. At best a call up imo.

I dont like heineman that much, but he could bring some physicality to our bottom 6 that we lacks.

But i prefer a lot more Tuch.

Reactions: Benstheman

Bottomshelf

Sep 16, 2019
I could see Chicago or Columbus taking Dvorak just to flip him at the deadline. Returns for players on the bottom half of the roster will be very weak as a bunch of teams will have a few players they will want to sneak through waivers

Getting anything of value would requires management to hold out for at least a the first couple weeks of the season when injury’s start to hit

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I could see Chicago or Columbus taking Dvorak just to flip him at the deadline. Returns for players on the bottom half of the roster will be very weak as a bunch of teams will have a few players they will want to sneak through waivers

Getting anything of value would requires management to hold out for at least a the first couple weeks of the season when injury’s start to hit

Dvorak as a pending UFA and a center should likely be an easy move, especially if you're not concerned about maximizing the asset and find the value is the space you create, rather than the return you get for the player.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Only problem i have with ditching Dvorak instead of Evans(assuming its for Kapanen) is that we will have 9RHS and 3LHS in our top 12.

I think that may cause a problem. Especially since all of our main C would be RH. Newhook, Slafkovsky and Roy would be the only LHS.

Might be problematic with important defensive faceoff.

I would scratch Pezzetta and Evans first to make room for Heineman and Kapanen.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
if Kapanen push Dvorak

id legit give a 2nd to get rid of Dvorak with his full salary so we can keep our last retention on Savard or Armia.

We drafted many many times alread and still have many picks , we wont lose that much losing a single pick to get rid of scrubs
I think I rather retain on Dvorak, bigger salary, less demand for is services to lower the cost of trading him. We have asset but I’m still not sure we want to « waste » or give them away to dump contract that is expiring at the end of the year anyway. Savard will be in demand, at the TDL many team will be able to take is contract, we will be able to take a contract back or find a 3rd team to retain salary…

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
It makes absolutely no sense to give up assets or waste a retention spot to get rid of Dvorak at this point. Habs don't have cap space issues.
If they want to make a roster spot for Kapanen, they can just waive Dvorak and send him to Laval, like they did with Armia last season.

They can always send Roy to Laval to start the season until there's an injury. It'll probably not be fair for him but he'll survive.
Might be a better solution to keep their depth at center.

Reactions: bsl and Whalers Fan

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It makes absolutely no sense to give up assets or waste a retention spot to get rid of Dvorak at this point. Habs don't have cap space issues.
If they want to make a roster spot for Kapanen, they can just waive Dvorak and send him to Laval, like they did with Armia last season.

They can always send Roy to Laval to start the season until there's an injury. It'll probably not be fair for him but he'll survive.
Might be a better solution to keep their depth at center.

I'm sure if they said Dvorak was available, a few teams would kick a mid-round pick our way.

It only is an issue if Hughes wants to squeeze the true value out of Dvorak.

Reactions: Vachon23

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I'm sure if they said Dvorak was available, a few teams would kick a mid-round pick our way.

The real question is:

Is there a real value to squeeze for Dvo? I don’t see us getting a top 3 rounds picks for him. He just sucks.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The real question is:

Is there a real value to squeeze for Dvo? I don’t see us getting a top 3 rounds picks for him. He just sucks.

If he had a good healthy season and kept him until the trade deadline, a 2nd or 3rd round pick is possible.

The calculus is - do we need another one of those picks? Not really.
Is the difference between a 4th round pick now and a 3rd round pick later worth having to send Kapanen back if he earned the ice time?

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
We don't have to make room for all the prospects knocking on the door. But if Kapanen continues to impress, I would definitely move one of Evans of Dvorak to make space.

Reactions: sampollock

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
We don't have to make room for all the prospects knocking on the door. But if Kapanen continues to impress, I would definitely move one of Evans of Dvorak to make space.

The habs want to make the playoffs, they aren't going to get rid of their depth. We can have all of Kapanen, Dvorak, and Evans on the roster.

Reactions: Andy

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The habs want to make the playoffs, they aren't going to get rid of their depth. We can have all of Kapanen, Dvorak, and Evans on the roster.
The bottom 6 is very crowded with Armia, Gallagher, Evans, Dvorak, Anderson. Technically Kapanen can fit, but those guys eat up so much ice time. I think one would have to be moved to make meaningful space for Kapanen.

Armia, Gallagher, Anderson are likely untradeable right now. That leaves Evans and Dvo.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023

I was talking more about the scenario in which the Habs want to get rid of him at all cost, like some here seem to think.

There are not many options to improve a roster at this stage of the year as most teams want to keep their NHL players.
So there could be some teams interested in him, but i don't see many having the cap space to take him.
I wouldn't have a problem if the Habs retained to make it happen, as long as they get fair compensation for it, not just to get rid of him.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
The bottom 6 is very crowded with Armia, Gallagher, Evans, Dvorak, Anderson. Technically Kapanen can fit, but those guys eat up so much ice time. I think one would have to be moved to make meaningful space for Kapanen.

One of those 7 can be the 13th forward, and they can rotate like they do with the defensemen. Injuries will obviously happen, so that 13th forward is unlikely to be an extra for long.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I was talking more about the scenario in which the Habs want to get rid of him at all cost, like some here seem to think.

There are not many options to improve a roster at this stage of the year as most teams want to keep their NHL players.
So there could be some teams interested in him, but i don't see many having the cap space to take him.
I wouldn't have a problem if the Habs retained to make it happen, as long as they get fair compensation for it, not just to get rid of him.

I'm sure they'd make it work.. they can waive Pezzetta and rotate Dvorak/Evans/Kapanen for a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad