HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

LeBrun says they tried to talk him into spending more time in the minors. Of course Trotz may be saying that even if he had no intention of keeping him.
That is this year and Askarov asked to be traded for it. It doesn't explain why Trotz wanted to trade him back at the 2023 draft table after only one AHL season.

• Love
Reactions: HomaridII

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
That is this year and Askarov asked to be traded for it. It doesn't explain why Trotz wanted to trade him back at the 2023 draft table after only one AHL season.
Trotz said on Nashville Radio that Askarov's on ice antics and constantly leaving his crease to argue with officials, played a factor in their decision to not move him to the NHL and to trade him.

I have zero doubt that this iissue went back to 2023 too.

Reactions: morhilane

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Trotz said on Nashville Radio that Askarov's on ice antics and constantly leaving his crease to argue with officials, played a factor in their decision to not move him to the NHL and to trade him.

I have zero doubt that this iissue went back to 2023 too.
Thanks for the info.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Thanks for the info.
Also, for what its worth, Predator Insider Michael Gallagher said "That kid cares more about himself than the team, and that's not good". Trotz said Askarov's behaviour was brought up by every team during negotiations and that his behind the scene antics became an issue when they became public (one the ice).

Trotz acknowledged Askarov's impressive physical abilities but pointed out the importance of mental toughness in a goaltender’s development, something he doesn't believe the young netminder has mastered yet.

“Asky is going to be an excellent goaltender because he’s got unbelievable athletic skills and he’s got a very confident personality — all that,” Trotz told The Athletic. “But if you talk to elite goaltenders, they won’t talk about elite physical attributes. They’ll talk about elite mentalities and elite mindsets and elite preparation and stuff like that. And I’m not quite sure that he’s there yet."

Last edited:
Reactions: Sterling Archer

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I say the habs now have good young prospects.
unless it is a real upgrade (mercer maybe) then KH makes no deal.
He still has good draft picks to use too, but it must be a real upgrade.

KH will not make a lateral move at all
Is Mercer a huge upgrade? thoughts on this

WeThree what you figure?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I say the habs now have good young prospects.
unless it is a real upgrade (mercer maybe) then KH makes no deal.
He still has good draft picks to use too, but it must be a real upgrade.

KH will not make a lateral move at all
Is Mercer a huge upgrade? thoughts on this

WeThree what you figure?

Mercer is a nice player but I don't think he's the guy I'm going in on. I don't see him being better than Dach or Suzuki. Maybe if Dach gets hurt again, but Mercer doesnt feel like a long term center to me either.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I think right now, we are in a position where we see how our young promising prospects evolve.

Maybe except for known physical commodities for the bottom 6/4th line, i don't see HuGo going for a big move in the short term.

The only thing i can see coming in the next 2 years is getting a stabilizing force on D. Unless the plan is to keep Guhle on the right side for all of his contract, which i hope not, a top 4 RHD who can do it all and take load of minutes will be necessary.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Mercer is a nice player but I don't think he's the guy I'm going in on. I don't see him being better than Dach or Suzuki. Maybe if Dach gets hurt again, but Mercer doesnt feel like a long term center to me either.
I agree, unless he comes cheap, which i doubt.

For me, the only move that would make sense on offense will be to go get another star talent. If we look at the situation for 2025-2026 season, we have :

Slaf-Suzuki-Caufield
Demidov-Dach-Laine
Newhook-Beck-Roy

as a top 9 with Hage waiting in the farm.

So i would say our top 9 is top tier if everything goes as planned and is set for the long term. But if we are being honest, there are a lot of question marks on the top 6 :

Laine is a ?? in itself. Health, motivation, will he extend with us if he regains is old form?
Dach's health is still in doubt.
Is Caufield a 30 goals or a 40 goals scorer?

So if one or two of those ? happens, we will need another star talent replacement.

In two years we will have a great idea of what we have.

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
Reminds me of Hextall losing it on Chelios. What a idiot he was, if Askarov is of the same ilk, no thank you. I wouldn't trade Fowler for him either. Hextall belonged in Philly, God I hate that franchise.

I remember that,standing up Chelios would of destroyed Hextall.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
I don't remember why Hextall was so pissed at Chelios.
Earlier that series Chelios elbowed Bryan Propp into the boards and knocked him unconscious. Chelios was not only not suspended, he didn't even get a two minute minor. Hextall took justice into his own hands.

Chelios himself in his book acknowledges he had it coming and actually says Hextall should not have been suspended.

Reactions: Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Chelios nearly murdered Brian Propp with a vicious elbow earlier in the series. I loved Chelios because he was never afraid to cross the line like that, and he was talented beyond belief, but the hit on Propp was awful.

Ugly ugly ugly.

Earlier that series Chelios elbowed Bryan Propp into the boards and knocked him unconscious. Chelios was not only not suspended, he didn't even get a two minute minor. Hextall took justice into his own hands.

Chelios himself in his book acknowledges he had it coming and actually says Hextall should not have been suspended.
Thanks for the infos man. That's great.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I know this won't be liked but I feel like Habs should target Couturier with retention (at least 2.25M). Something like:

Anderson
Dvorak
Farrel
2nd

for

Couturier (2.5M retained)
Cates

---------------
Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Dach - Laine
Roy - Couturier - Armia
Cates - Evans - Gallagher
Pezzetta
---------------

Feel like the leadership and defensive qualities he brings will really help the young guns.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He's another middle 6 forward that's of average size.

Habs need first line forwards, or if they're going middle 6, players with size. They don't have to be a fighter, but just not easily pushed off the puck and strong enough to pin someone if a brawl breaks out.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Fowler has yet to prove anything at a professional level, and since iyr window opens up next year, i'd gladly trade Fowler for Askarov (is he signed a reasonable 7 year term). Maybe Fowler becomes the better goalie? Maybe.. but next year we are ready to contend, and Monty better be ready bc id hate to see us enter the playoffs without a stud 1G
Askarov hasn't really proven anything at a professional level yet, either.

• Love
Reactions: HomaridII

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
I know this won't be liked but I feel like Habs should target Couturier with retention (at least 2.25M). Something like:

Anderson
Dvorak
Farrel
2nd

for

Couturier (2.5M retained)
Cates

---------------

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Dach - Laine
Roy - Couturier - Armia
Cates - Evans - Gallagher
Pezzetta

I'm not sure I do this if I'm Briere. Can the Flyers even afford the 10 millions of Dvorak and Anderson? The 2nd is obviously the high value item here, but even then

Couturier is banged up beyound relief, so you really can't rely on him that much. Still, his upside is much higher than what the Habs would send back. It doesn't make much sense for the Flyers. I think their owners actually want to make the playoffs too

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I'm not sure I do this if I'm Briere. Can the Flyers even afford the 10 millions of Dvorak and Anderson? The 2nd is obviously the high value item here, but even then

Couturier is banged up beyound relief, so you really can't rely on him that much. Still, his upside is much higher than what the Habs would send back. It doesn't make much sense for the Flyers. I think their owners actually want to make the playoffs too
I am banking on both Couturier and Cates being in Torts bad book. They were both benched a lot to end season. Anderson might be wanted by Torts and perhaps Briere will see Dvorak's short term being good enough as a replacement for Couts.

Reactions: TesseractPrice

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Do we get the 2nd or Flyers?

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Fowler has yet to prove anything at a professional level, and since iyr window opens up next year, i'd gladly trade Fowler for Askarov (is he signed a reasonable 7 year term). Maybe Fowler becomes the better goalie? Maybe.. but next year we are ready to contend, and Monty better be ready bc id hate to see us enter the playoffs without a stud 1G
Of course Askarov is more proven hes 3 years older but so far Fowler has won at every level and has a much better attitude then Askarov who whines alot

Reactions: themilosh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad