HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
That's a very big stretch...

Do you really think Caufield on the Laffs the past few years would not have been getting regular top 6 role?

I think that's highly unlikely. If anything, Caufield playing with that group is already a 40+ goal scorer and a fixture in their top 6. Robertson is not at all in the same ball park.
Who knows? Keefe is not that good a coach but even he may have seen what Caufield could be.
Robertson has missed so much time it's hard to know what his ceiling is. Robertson's brother, who is nowhere as talented as Nick, but bigger, has done quite well.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
So you took my post, intermingled it with your imagination and created a completely fantasizes new “ironic” meaning to what you imagined I meant to say.

Niiiice job there.
I mean you flat out said you wouldn’t make that trade. You don’t want to trade for Robertson because he’s small and a bust according to you, yet ignore how we would be giving up a small, less proven, and worse player in exchange. That is indeed ironic.

Reactions: themilosh

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
RHP is injured and Pelletier is not what we need.
We need Florian and Tuch patrolling the fourth line asap. Scary mofos with attitude and enough skating to reach and hurt anywhere you go.

Now just sign Crosby or trade for him... and here we go next year.

Laine-Suzuki-Slaf
Caufield-Crosby-Demidoc
Roy-Dach-Armia/Newhook/Kapanen/Heineman
Florian-Evans/Beck-Tuch

I'd resign at reasonable price Evans and Army if he keeps up the smile.

Reactions: themilosh

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
the difference is Gallagher was a top 6 player had a mediocre playoff, signes long term at 29 years old. Drasaitl is an elite player and had awesome playoffs. Even is he is become medicore at 34/35years old, he will remain a kind of top 6 player ocerpaid, maybe not elite at that time but... Gallagher is a middle 6 at best. That expensive
So Pittsburgh should NOT have resigned Crosby to that lucrative deal a few years back ??

I mean there’s 1000 examples.

Your job as a GM is to predict if the player is capable of living up to his salary and for an older player at least 75% of his contract if you are contending.

Sure the Oilers went to the Cup but I don't project them repeating. I think the Drasaitl situation I compare to Carey Price in his last contract that Bergevin signed him to. The idea was "we cannot lose Price cause great goalies are rare and he's one in a million". But having Price just kept our heads above water and prevented us to see what we really had. And as an organization, we probably would have been better off trading him, get good material for him esp. at the forward position. I think paying Draisaitl this amount is wasting money. Trade him for good material so that the Oilers have more a well rounded team.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Sure the Oilers went to the Cup but I don't project them repeating. I think the Drasaitl situation I compare to Carey Price in his last contract that Bergevin signed him to. The idea was "we cannot lose Price cause great goalies are rare and he's one in a million". But having Price just kept our heads above water and prevented us to see what we really had. And as an organization, we probably would have been better off trading him, get good material for him esp. at the forward position. I think paying Draisaitl this amount is wasting money. Trade him for good material so that the Oilers have more a well rounded team.
Both agree & disagree with you...

Agree that the Oilers made a mistake with this decision. Drai @14M means McD will get at least that and Bouchard won't settle for less than 10M.

By next year, McD/Drai/Bouchard/Nurse will be ~50M... 60% of the cap tied up in 4 players is not a viable way to win a cup, especially with the thin/weak prospect (elc/RFA) group they have. If they don't win this year, they're going to quickly end up like the Sharks & Pens when they crested down from their cup/finals peak... Non PO teams with a few elite assets but a messed up cap situation requiring either a full rebuild (sharks) or a prolonged mediocrity run that wastes the last few years of elite play from their stars.

But I disagree on your Price/Habs comparison... Of all MBs idiotic blunders, Price's contract was not one of them (unless you have proof that his career ending injury was/should've been known at the time of signing). Had Price stayed healthy enough to play out his contract, building a contender around him was totally feasible. MB bungled it and yet we still hit a cup finals and an ECF. A half competent GM would've been able to better manage the other roster moves to give Price more run support...

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
Roy - Dach - Laine
Armia - Newhook - Gallagher
Evans - Dvorak - Anderson

Is pretty much what we're going to roll next year I think

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I think paying Draisaitl this amount is wasting money. Trade him for good material so that the Oilers have more a well rounded team.
What makes you think Draisaitl, a top5 player, is actually in the way of having a well-rounded team?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I mean you flat out said you wouldn’t make that trade. You don’t want to trade for Robertson because he’s small and a bust according to you, yet ignore how we would be giving up a small, less proven, and worse player in exchange. That is indeed ironic.
And yet you ignore i said I didn’t want Johnston for anything, completely removing Mesar from the discussion. You projected your view onto my post and created your own reality, separate from what I actually said and now tried to gaslight me into believing your post was accurate and I didn’t know what I had posted. But rather then read my post or ask what I meant or for clarification, as you obviously didn’t understand my post, you incorrectly assumed what my thoughts were in trading Mesar for Robertson.

How silly of you.

• Haha
Reactions: The Great Weal

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I sacrifice Newhook and trade Matheson over Savard, completing the offers with the depth of the pool (Kapanen, Konyushkov, etc...) and picks. It's entirely possible I'd have to sacrifice Struble also you're right.
We cn only hope...............that #87 has his eyes on what we are doing to get ready for the next 5-6-7 years......and contemplates coming to Montreal, via a trade or ufa.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Panthers won with Brobovsky at 10 millions aav in the net. In my opinion, you give the money what your elite player want. I would cut the tie with players asking more money (like middle 6 player or average top 4). I don’t see Draisaitl become a liability at 33 years old. I mean, elite players are useful until after 35 years old in general.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Both agree & disagree with you...

Agree that the Oilers made a mistake with this decision. Drai @14M means McD will get at least that and Bouchard won't settle for less than 10M.

By next year, McD/Drai/Bouchard/Nurse will be ~50M... 60% of the cap tied up in 4 players is not a viable way to win a cup, especially with the thin/weak prospect (elc/RFA) group they have. If they don't win this year, they're going to quickly end up like the Sharks & Pens when they crested down from their cup/finals peak... Non PO teams with a few elite assets but a messed up cap situation requiring either a full rebuild (sharks) or a prolonged mediocrity run that wastes the last few years of elite play from their stars.

But I disagree on your Price/Habs comparison... Of all MBs idiotic blunders, Price's contract was not one of them (unless you have proof that his career ending injury was/should've been known at the time of signing). Had Price stayed healthy enough to play out his contract, building a contender around him was totally feasible. MB bungled it and yet we still hit a cup finals and an ECF. A half competent GM would've been able to better manage the other roster moves to give Price more run support...
The problem with Price was the structure of the contract, not the player or salary. It was an unmovable contract before the ink was dry and the bonuses going the full length of the deal instead of just at the start was amateur hour.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The problem with Price was the structure of the contract, not the player or salary. It was an unmovable contract before the ink was dry and the bonuses going the full length of the deal instead of just at the start was amateur hour.

In hindsight there was no problem with the Price contract. It was a hail Mary to compete with that core, and they made the finals out of it and then Price went on LTIR.

Reactions: BLONG7

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
We need Florian and Tuch patrolling the fourth line asap. Scary mofos with attitude and enough skating to reach and hurt anywhere you go.

Now just sign Crosby or trade for him... and here we go next year.

Laine-Suzuki-Slaf
Caufield-Crosby-Demidoc
Roy-Dach-Armia/Newhook/Kapanen/Heineman
Florian-Evans/Beck-Tuch

I'd resign at reasonable price Evans and Army if he keeps up the smile.
If Florian and Tuch only top off as fourth liners that would be a disappointing result for this team. I strongly believe that both have the skating and skill (along with their size) to be more impactful players in the NHL. With Slafkovsky already as a stalwart on the team and Sawyer and Thorpe also on the horizon, other NHL fans' accepted, ingrained, if not smug, image of the Canadiens being a team of mostly smurfs will soon be changing.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If Florian and Tuch top up as fourth liners that would be a disappointing result for this team. I strongly believe that both have the skating and skill (along with their size) to be more impactful players in the NHL.
The tendency is to put the two players in the same category, but frankly Florian Xhekaj separates himself from guys with fourth line ceilings with his ability to carry the puck and make plays.

I can easily see a world where, despite his draft rank, Florian has career stats like Lars Eller, with the bonus of being able to stick up for teammates too.

On the other hand, if knowing his NCAA stats, Luke Tuch tops out as a good NHL fourth liner, that should not be a disappointment when many of the guys drafted near his rank don't even play 82 NHL games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miller Time

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
The tendency is to put the two players in the same category, but frankly Florian Xhekaj separates himself from guys with fourth line ceilings with his ability to carry the puck and make plays.

I can easily see a world where, despite his draft rank, Florian has career stats like Lars Eller, with the bonus of being able to stick up for teammates too.

On the other hand, if Luke Tuch tops out as a good fourth liner, that should not be a disappointment when many of the guys drafted near his rank don't even play 82 NHL games.
With respect to Tuch, I may be, being a bit greedy, but many of the players drafted near his rank don't possess Tuch's combination of skating and size.

I just find it puzzling whether it's Florian or Tuch, people immediately pigeon-hole them as fourth line physical players because of their size. Florian for example, played a main role on the Bulldogs' power play last year. Fourth line enforcer/energy type players don't play on power plays at high level hockey. Particularly, on the point, which is where Florian played.

Florian still has a ways to go. But he has the tools, skills and skating to be something quite unexpected. But as we have learned to our delight in Montreal: never underestimate a Xhekaj. Do they have another brother? A cousin? If so, we should sign them. Now.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
With respect to Tuch, I may be, being a bit greedy, but many of the players drafted near his rank don't possess Tuch's combination of skating and size.

I just find it puzzling whether it's Florian or Tuch, people immediately pigeon-hole them as fourth line physical players because of their size. Florian for example, played a main role on the Bulldogs' power play last year. Fourth line enforcer/energy type players don't play on power plays at high level hockey. Particularly, on the point, which is where Florian played.

Florian still has a ways to go. But he has the tools, skills and skating to be something quite unexpected. But as we have learned to our delight in Montreal: never underestimate a Xhekaj. Do they have another brother? A cousin? If so, we should sign them. Now.
Tuch is more because he never put up big numbers in college.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Neither did Brady Tkachuk. Not saying he’s the same but NHL is different roles and teammates. Just never know how a player will develop in the right atmosphere.
That is true. And why I didn't rate Brady too high. But you really have to watch the games to know how a player is deployed. They may develop later but they can also be on a stacked team and not get PP or scoring line minutes until those players graduate.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad