HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Same. Fowler extends into our window but he'll be a rookie where we're really starting to compete. He may have to ride back-up duty for a while before taking the reins.

I don't believe in Primeau or his ability to be a #1 or even a 1B. Dobes might be fine but he's still early on in his development.

This gives us some pedigree in the pipeline.
Askarov is not farther ahead in development than Dobes. Habs do not need Askarov unless he comes as cheap as Laine. Montembault is fine at the moment w/ Dobes/Primeau backup. A forward like McGroarty should be the only target at this point.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Now that Johansen has terminated his contract, NAS has about 7m of cap space. What about something like:
Matheson + Anderson for Askarov + Fabbro? We ship fabbro to whatever team wants him for a pick. Part of Mathesons value is caught up in the Anderson dump. NAS bets on him returning to form and now has a top 3 Dcore in the league

And then we OS Tomasino with a deal similar to Holloway lol

Took a quick peek at the Preds sub, sounds like they won’t have that cap space for a while. RyJo will probably contest it and it will go to courts and take some time to be settled. Not a quick process apparently.

They’re saying that if the Flyers win the case, that extra couple millions of cap space will become available sometimes throughout the season and will probably be used around the trade deadline.

Reactions: jrom

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I'm actually in on Askarov HARD if I'm Kent.

I was very low on Monty early on (I kind of felt about him the same as people now feel about Primeau) but he's played some good hockey and has earned the #1 role for this team at this point in time. Will he be the guy in the future? I'm not sure, but he's good enough for now, so that's good enough for me now as well.

Getting Askarov and having him work out some kinks in a low-stress environment as a 1B for a couple of years before we're really ready to rock? To me, it's almost a no-brainer. I wanted to do the deal that was rumored in the Nashville draft when it was supposedly him + a couple of first-rounders for the Reinbacher pick.

The value/what we'd have to give up is the kicker for me. Would it have to be Fowler? Do we have the draft capital to trade/would we want to? I don't know.
Preds apparently want a young / NHL ready top-4 RDman

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Alert to #87 from Cole Harbour, you won your Cups and accomplished everything possible in Pittsburgh. It's time to fulfill your childhood destiny and sign with the Habs on July 1, 2025.
Screw that, we're getting him at the TDL... with Tij.. :sarcasm:

B1g B1rd

Habs Best Def of all times
May 21, 2018
okiiiiii.... I get it! Now that Laine is a Hab, we're in need of a new fix on HF. Here comes Askarov. Not even a couple days after the Laine trade. Sheesh.

My opinion is Montembault is perfect for the next 2 years... Let's revisit in 2026 and see where Fowler is at....

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
okiiiiii.... I get it! Now that Laine is a Hab, we're in need of a new fix on HF. Here comes Askarov. Not even a couple days after the Laine trade. Sheesh.

My opinion is Montembault is perfect for the next 2 years... Let's revisit in 2026 and see where Fowler is at....
There's not really a new fix, I just think he'd be a good fit with the core. When you look at our prospect pool, other than Fowler, there's not really a goalie that wows.

Even in 2026, Fowler may be finishing up his time at college by then and normally, a young tendy just coming out of college isn't ready to be given #1 NHL duties. Monty is fine at the moment but a 52/30 split or something with Askarov would be amazing. I don't trust Primeau to carry even the load of the backup right now, and I don't really think the team does either considering they kept 3 goalies forever last year.

It'd be different if we were talking about a guy who was 30+ with a big contract. He's 22.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Come on they are not the same level of prospect
I didn't say they were. I said they are at the same stage of development - close to NHL ready. Although I don't consider Askarov to be anything special and not enough superior to Fowler to have interest in him unless he comes cheap.

... perfection ... like perfection?
No. Like good enough to be Habs #1 for at least the next year or 2.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Barron, Primeau and FLA/CGY 1st back to CGY for Rasmus Andersson

Not enough?

Can't see ge flames having any interest in Primeau.

Doesn't work cap-wise for us.

Flames probably hold out for more and would be silly not to wait till deadline where they could get a ransom

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Barron, Primeau and FLA/CGY 1st back to CGY for Rasmus Andersson

Not enough?

Doubt it.

27YO top pairing RHD that still has 2 years left at a bargain deal. We’re not getting him for a backup goalie when they have Wolf coming in, a 50/50 bust in Barron and a late 1st.

I don’t know if Calgary has any retention spot left but if yes and they use it on him they’re gonna get a haul. 1st+2nd+very good prospect. Like Beck/Mailloux/Xhekaj level prospect.

Even without retention they can take a bad contract back and still get the same return.

Reactions: vokiel

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
With Harris and Kovacevic gone the Habs are now done to 6 dmen with NHL experience.

It could be a problem, but I think Hughes should just claim the best dman available on waivers in a few months.

• Haha
Reactions: dralaf and bsl

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
With Harris and Kovacevic gone the Habs are now done to 6 dmen with NHL experience.

It could be a problem, but I think Hughes should just claim the best dman available on waivers in a few months.
A lot of youth be coming aboard next season. Hutson for sure. Reinbacher most likely. Mailloux possibility

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Go get him KH
While I think Askarov is a promising goalie I am trying to understand why some think we should sell the farm for him...we have an excellent group of goalies with some in the pipeline who may become stars. We don't need to trade for a goalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad