HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Primeau has also played behind the same defense and he had a .910 % last year....Mrazek had a .908 % Chicago bad team....Ingram bad team in Arizona .907 % save percentage....Monty needs to stop more pucks if Montreal is ever going to compete for a playoff spot.

Primeau and Montembault have very similar underlying numbers, but Monty generally played against better teams.

Montreal's been truly awful defensively, but neither Montembault nor Primeau were close to being an issue and frankly both played well enough to be a good goalie option on a contender.

No one is going to look good until/unless Montreal's young players improve defensively and/or they add help.

dauv

Sep 23, 2022
Askarov is a tough trade to grasp.

As much as we could use him and his potential, the goalie market is special.

The demand is always thin and the offer is always abundant.

The goalie that are part of the 1st tier are usually franchise player and untouchables. Past this tier, goalies are often available for B-pieces in trade value or through FA. Look at what Ullmark brought back and it is also a reason why team seldomly go for goalie in the 1st round anymore.

As for Askarov, as much as we can use him, we may already have better in the pipeline and his value will be entirely dependent on if he is capable of being a franchise number one goaltender. I would be very wary about giving an A-pieces for him. Mailloux for example is a no go in my opinion. Maybe we can dangle one of our LD + Primeau? It obviously don't feel a lot for Askarov from Nashville POV but this one is a potential mega blunder if we give an A pieces.
100% agree with this.....

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Primeau and Montembault have very similar underlying numbers, but Monty generally played against better teams.

Montreal's been truly awful defensively, but neither Montembault nor Primeau were close to being an issue and frankly both played well enough to be a good goalie option on a contender.

No one is going to look good until/unless Montreal's young players improve defensively and/or they add help.
Both have played well considering the circumstances but neither will provide 10+ years of being a Top 10 goalie like Askarov has the potential to.

It’s not necessarily a massive need, but adding an elite goalie prospect just makes things far better for the Habs moving forward. Imagine giving 22 year old Price this young defence, Suzuki, Cole, Slaf, Demidov. We’d have gone on several long playoff runs.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Both have played well considering the circumstances but neither will provide 10+ years of being a Top 10 goalie like Askarov has the potential to.

It’s not necessarily a massive need, but adding an elite goalie prospect just makes things far better for the Habs moving forward. Imagine giving 22 year old Price this young defence, Suzuki, Cole, Slaf, Demidov. We’d have gone on several long playoff runs.
Having an elite Goalie can definitely help a team like MTL that don’t have a superstar player like McDavid/Leon or MacKinnon/Makar

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
To a degree, but I understand his perspective if the rumors Nashville's been dangling him are true (I'm leaning yes based on information known).

Combine that with them signing Wedgewood to 2 years, there are few indications he'll have a real shot at the NHL this year as a backup for the Predators. He is coming off the last year of his entry level deal as well, so if he's stuck in the AHL again, money earning potential is nada on the next contract.

His waiver eligibility has to be coming up soon, no?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

It depends on what you think on Askarov's potential actually be a top-10 goalie for 10+ years.

Top goalie prospects become top goalies less frequently than top skater prospects become top skaters. And lesser goalie prospects become top goalies more frequently than top skater prospects become top skaters.

For every Vasilevsky, Price, MAF and Oettinger, there's a Pickard, Bernier, Lehtonen, DiPietro, Leclaire, Montoya, Campbell, Samsonov and Knight. Askarov is a great prospect, but he's not without flaws. And even with the demands, the cost is likely to be significant. Not even considering that Nashville may not even want a goalie going back the other way with Saros and Wedgewood, meaning Montreal could also have to move Montembault or Primeau in a position of weakness to get Askarov to report.

I'm always in favour of gambling on upside, but I'm not sure how Montreal could make this work while making the best offer.

And 10+ years is a really long time in the NHL. More people than not would argue Price wasn't a top 10 goalie for 10+ years. That longevity in goal is incredibly rare in goal, even among top goalies.

Reactions: le_sean

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Assuming Hutson and Mailloux both make the team, do we roll with 8 defensemen? (including Struble and Barron) until we trade Savard at deadline?

Or do we trade one of Struble/Barron right away

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Ceci is a bad player and SJS are the worst team in the league. They got him as a cap dump at a price they deemed worthwhile, there's not much to look into there.
Yes, and, he's now their best RD. Both statements can be true.

Not much to it, there I agree.
My assertion is there is no restriction on the Habs' spending but every so often someone devises a narrative that the Habs aren't spending because Molson is in the way. Which has no grounded in any sort of truth.
Yes, many posters build narratives that are not grounded in reality... There I agree with you 100%
As for the punted season -- the two previous offseasons saw Hughes make a substantial add to the roster, but this year he has not. That's a punt so far. Maybe such a move will happen or maybe it won't but we can't assume anything.

Punt indeed :lol:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Show me your prediction for the Laine acquisition! Would love to see it!

KH did far better than even I hoped, but very much as I expected, he was patient and got what he wanted.

He's opportunistic, patient,and crystal clear in what they are building.

Just like with Slaf, those impatient and unable to see the big picture, waste a lot of time complaining and creating false narratives that get blown up.

You'd think eventually they might just sit back and enjoy the ride...

Future is bright 😎

Reactions: windycity

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
KH did far better than even I hoped, but very much as I expected, he was patient and got what he wanted.

He's opportunistic, patient,and crystal clear in what they are building.
Who disagrees?
Just like with Slaf, those impatient and unable to see the big picture, waste a lot of time complaining and creating false narratives that get blown up.
You keep beating this horse. Do you think it’s clever?

I got the Laine acquisition completely right. Call it even and move on.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Who disagrees?

You keep beating this horse. Do you think it’s clever?

I got the Laine acquisition completely right. Call it even and move on.
More clever than poorly applied football analogies I suppose.

Not sure why one would be offended by having a poor take called out on a message board?

You attached to a narrative that he was "punting" the season because he didn't rush out to make a move... It was obvious to others that this was never the case.

Move on indeed! There we can agree.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
More clever than poorly applied football analogies I suppose.

Not sure why one would be offended by having a poor take called out on a message board?

You attached to a narrative that he was "punting" the season because he didn't rush out to make a move... It was obvious to others that this was never the case.

Move on indeed! There we can agree.
Point out where you predicted this move, would love to praise your foresight. Let’s see it.

• Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
- Laine at full cap hit for Dvorak + Harris

- McGroarty for Mailloux

- Askarov for Barron + Primeau + later of Habs / Cgy 2025 1st rounder (top-15 protected)
No thx. Not trading Mailloux
You guys don't think he's a bit young ( for a goaltender ) to ask for a trade?
He is nearly ready to play and his team just re-signed the starter for 8 years. I dont blame him....

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Move to consider now:

Laine and a 2nd to Columbus for Jordan Harris
1724107526598.png

Reactions: windycity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad