HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

dauv

Sep 23, 2022
Has PLD asked for a trade out of Washington yet?
Not yet, he has to tell everyone in the Caps org. and all their beat reporters that he only wants to play for Habs it's his dream, he'll spend his next vacation here with Suz and Cauf then sign a deal in TB, Fla, Car, Bos, NYR, NYI, Det, Nash, SJ, Chi, NJ, Veg, SLC, Dal, Ana, Van, Col, Min, Tor, Phi, Buf, Pits, STL or Sea

Reactions: bsl

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Not yet, he has to tell everyone in the Caps org. and all their beat reporters that he only wants to play for Habs it's his dream, he'll spend his next vacation here with Suz and Cauf then sign a deal in TB, Fla, Car, Bos, NYR, NYI, Det, Nash, SJ, Chi, NJ, Veg, SLC, Dal, Ana, Van, Col, Min, Tor, Phi, Buf, Pits, STL or Sea
HE WILL be a fig... every player the figs want

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
trades are hard :sarcasm:
Hughes can afford to wait out some GM's who will suddenly discover they have too many toys for their toy boxes and can't afford to keep them all.
This is when the mistakes get made. Which ones will end up being worth the most.
The trick is to grab the gold while they are still focused on the shiniest ones which are actually silver. :naughty:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
We should try making a trade for Zegras around Newhook +. The Ducks seems to hate Zegras and if they don't get much good offers and really want to get rid of him, I see much worse than getting Newhook. Hell Newhook could get more points than him this season.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
From the golf tournament
So message to KH to help this statement out?

Nick Suzuki on expectations for the season

"[Making the playoffs] is our goal. We all want to make the playoffs and go as far as we can to win the Cup."

"Every year you climb that mountain to try to get to the top. We took a big step in the right direction and I think we'll continue to do that as our group gets older and more mature."

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
We should try making a trade for Zegras around Newhook +. The Ducks seems to hate Zegras and if they don't get much good offers and really want to getþ it tþtrid of him, I see much worse than getting Newhook. Hell Newhook could get more points than him this season.
I'm guessing most of us have seen the reports that we had a deal on the table at the Draft of Mailloux and 21st OA for Zegras and 2nd. Sounds like a where there is smoke there is fire. But the rumour is Hughes said no because of being able to draft Hage.

Even if you aren't sold on the guy Zegras is a legit 2nd line player at the very least, which means Mailloux carries high value. As in he is projected to develop into a top 3D man. If thats the case I'm confused about our being willing to part with him since our biggest needs are the top 3 D spots, though I see Guhle as a 2D.

If Mailloux was the center piece for us going to the Ducks, you have to think that is still a deal that can be done, as in Mailloux plus our own 2nd for Zegras. Unless Ducks wanted a certain guy at 21 also.

That would have been fireworks though at the Draft.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240802-175839_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240802-175839_Chrome.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 2

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We should try making a trade for Zegras around Newhook +. The Ducks seems to hate Zegras and if they don't get much good offers and really want to get rid of him, I see much worse than getting Newhook. Hell Newhook could get more points than him this season.
Maybe, so no deal.

• Haha
Reactions: Kimota

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
9 picks in first 4 rounds in 2025.
It’s actually a deep draft too.

2 firsts
2 seconds
3 thirds
2 fourths

I think we can package 2 seconds and maybe a 3rd to move up to late first giving us 3 first round picks.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Why would you want to trade him for Zegras in that case :huh:

Cause Zegras has more potential.

I'm guessing most of us have seen the reports that we had a deal on the table at the Draft of Mailloux and 21st OA for Zegras and 2nd. Sounds like a where there is smoke there is fire. But the rumour is Hughes said no because of being able to draft Hage.

Even if you aren't sold on the guy Zegras is a legit 2nd line player at the very least, which means Mailloux carries high value. As in he is projected to develop into a top 3D man. If thats the case I'm confused about our being willing to part with him since our biggest needs are the top 3 D spots, though I see Guhle as a 2D.

If Mailloux was the center piece for us going to the Ducks, you have to think that is still a deal that can be done, as in Mailloux plus our own 2nd for Zegras. Unless Ducks wanted a certain guy at 21 also.

That would have been fireworks though at the Draft.

I'd rather keep Mailloux.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I thought KH said he needed to move picks and or young guys, because he can't sign them all
and
wanted to show the players on the team now, that a trade would support there growth

and we hear zip. maybe that was smoke for fans

Dont think it was smoke for fans.

I think their intentions was genuine but maybe the market or the right trade just was not available this year.

Status quo is better than making a trade for the sake of it. We know they went for FA but those whom they targeted weren't interested in the shorter term deal we had to offer.

Lets see. Hughes has an history of wheeling and dealing closer to training camp.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014

Your post kinda suggest we may be better keeping Newhook.

Realistically, i think Newhook is more of a middle sixer/2nd wave offensive player. In a vacuum, indeed a lesser player and easier to find than a talent like Zegras.

Tho, Newhook current role is not a role suited for Zegras and Zegras would have to be relegated to such a role on Demidov arrival.

Dumb move by the Caps. They are stuck with that hideous contract for some time.

Agree. Some are excited by what they did but personally, i think it is desperately mid.

They are very weak in the top of their line-up and what they did is adding mid pieces for cheap prices. They took the road to perpetual mediocrity.

Compare their top players to top-10 teams top players and its very yikesss.

They have a good defense tho.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
9 picks in first 4 rounds in 2025.
It’s actually a deep draft too.

2 firsts
2 seconds
3 thirds
2 fourths

I think we can package 2 seconds and maybe a 3rd to move up to late first giving us 3 first round picks.
It rarely happens and the only teams that would want to do it are teams at the very beginning of a rebuild that have traded a lot of picks away. There are no teams currently like that. Pittsburgh and Washington should be rebuilding but they won't.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
It rarely happens and the only teams that would want to do it are teams at the very beginning of a rebuild that have traded a lot of picks away. There are no teams currently like that. Pittsburgh and Washington should be rebuilding but they won't.

The Hurricanes and the Leafs did move down this past year. But If I remember correctly, during draft night comments from both of those Fanbase was that it was to be expected as that’s what they do. Especially Carolina has a track record of moving back to pick up extra picks.

But they both traded down on draft night when it was their turn to pick, which makes me think that they were probably waiting to see who was available first. Which make sense, what if someone like let’s say Helenius/Nygard/Jiricek fell all the way to their pick and they had already traded it? They probably had deals in places and once they saw there was no major faller they pulled the trigger and traded back to pick up more picks.

You probably have to really overpay to get a team to trade down with you before draft night. Which isn’t that what Chicago did? Gave the Islanders a 2nd or 3rd to move up like only 2 spots or something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad