HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
If he is going to be our #2 center he better improve his face off percentage. 38% is not going to cut it. Got to start winning Face Offs, and get closer to 50%, puck possession will only improve his stats.

Agreed, that’s something that can be teach. You can’t teach size, IQ, and hockey sense.
He could also play with Owen Beck or Oliver Kapanen.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I see two outcome for Dach. If he reach his potential, we may see a Ryan Getzlaf ish player. Production won’t be like Getzlaf though.

At worst Dach will be a Michael Handzus ish. The guy is a rock star playoff time and is that key shutdown center all Cup winners have.
If Dach can reach 80% of what Getzlaf turned out to be, I'd be thrilled. If he turns into Handzus, I'd be a little disappointed. That doesn't mean he still wouldn't be a great addition to our team.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
If Dach can reach 80% of what Getzlaf turned out to be, I'd be thrilled. If he turns into Handzus, I'd be a little disappointed. That doesn't mean he still wouldn't be a great addition to our team.

Handzus wasn’t bad. He was a key player on Chicago some time back in their cup run.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Until I had heard that HuGo wanted to add another top 6 player. My thinking was the same as yours. Let the team gel a bit more and see which players improve. After hearing their wants, and seeing their previous actions. That's how I came to the conclusion that a top 6 player will be added sooner rather than later. We all know I'm not smart enough to come up with that idea on my own. ;)

I'm a huge Dach fan, and was thrilled when we got him. Even if we lost fan favourite Romanov. When we lost him to injury, it was equal to getting a severe shot to the nads. So yes, I'm 100% rooting for him as well.
I think we're on the right path.

Comes down to this: What were your expectations going into this? How long did you think it would take?

I assumed it would probably take at least five years before we were a playoff team.
I had hoped we'd get some high picks with potential superstars
I had hoped we'd stockpile with young talent
I had hoped we'd lock down some of that young talent with long term cheap deals

How do you think we're doing so far?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Comes down to this: What were your expectations going into this? How long did you think it would take?

I assumed it would probably take at least five years before we were a playoff team.

We are doing those things, but it is insulting the fans to spend significantly less than the cap while charging premium prices for both the on-ice product and concession stands, etc.

I don't blame Hugo for not acquiescing to Marchessault's demands for instance, but two years of David Perron instead of RHP, or 1 year of Daniel Sprong instead of Alex Barré-Boulet would not jeopardize the above direction that you and I both support whatsoever.

We are $6M under the cap even WITH Price's contract on regular IR and not LTIR. I think fans are entitled to expect management to follow through on their stated plan to acquire more offence on short-term deals.

And I think that the loyal players who are working their butts off and taking team-friendly deals deserve help winning games.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
We are doing those things, but it is insulting the fans to spend significantly less than the cap while charging premium prices for both the on-ice product and concession stands, etc.

I don't blame Hugo for not acquiescing to Marchessault's demands for instance, but two years of David Perron instead of RHP, or 1 year of Daniel Sprong instead of Alex Barré-Boulet would not jeopardize the above direction that you and I both support whatsoever.

We are $6M under the cap even WITH Price's contract on regular IR and not LTIR. I think fans are entitled to expect management to follow through on their stated plan to acquire more offence on short-term deals.

And I think that the loyal players who are working their butts off and taking team-friendly deals deserve help winning games.
Lmao we don't need David Perron. That's too funny.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

I agree, I've been impressed with HuGo's decision making so far.

After years of seeing things run under Bergevin's leadership. My expectations under this new group were fairly low. After seeing their early changes. I thought 5 years to make the playoffs was reasonable.

I think we're doing great so far. But now with the cap space and assets we have available. I think it's time to use those assets to kick it up a notch. To make the thought of making the playoffs in year 5 not just reasonable, but a forgone conclusion.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016

I think David Perron is exactly the type of players we don’t need now.
We need a top talent or better give the young players more room and get a better pick

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
What if Necas takes PP time away from Caufield? What if he has a good season and then needs to be re-signed?

Apply the same paradigm you applied to Laine.

Yes, but he has a longer future with the team.

That said, i was against the habs potentially acquiring him. Neither he, nor Laine do much for the habs.
I missed your dissection.

You said if Laine succeeds that it is bad for the Habs because we’ll have to re-sign him. I mean, what are we even talking about here?
Because you're paying a player who's closer to retirement than being a consistent player.

He's unlikely to be a 30 goal scorer as he hasn't done it in 5 years, but I see you didn't come back for that one...

I see you're picking and choosing what to respond to.

If you can't hang, just move on.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

There's no obligation or requirement for a team to spend up to its available cap space, just because they have it.

I don't get the correlation to be honest...2 years of Perron or 1 year of Sprong is the same as giving Anderson another shot or giving Joshua Roy a legit opportunity to make the team.

If filling up cap space = making moves to make moves, i'd rather hold onto that cap space personally.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
There's no obligation or requirement for a team to spend up to its available cap space, just because they have it.

I don't get the correlation to be honest...2 years of Perron or 1 year of Sprong is the same as giving Anderson another shot or giving Joshua Roy a legit opportunity to make the team.

If filling up cap space = making moves to make moves, i'd rather hold onto that cap space personally.
💯 %

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Until I had heard that HuGo wanted to add another top 6 player. My thinking was the same as yours. Let the team gel a bit more and see which players improve. After hearing their wants, and seeing their previous actions. That's how I came to the conclusion that a top 6 player will be added sooner rather than later. We all know I'm not smart enough to come up with that idea on my own. ;)

I'm a huge Dach fan, and was thrilled when we got him. Even if we lost fan favourite Romanov. When we lost him to injury, it was equal to getting a severe shot to the nads. So yes, I'm 100% rooting for him as well.
Hmmmmmm, You're probably right That they will get a top 6 player. I'd personally rather wait a year just because nobody on the market currently is all that enticing.....and also because, by next off season, we will have even more assets to trade, and we will have a better read on our current team/players/prospects. That's just such a gravy position to be in lol

I do wonder what kind of term Habs are looking at though for this top 6 player. I'm guessing here but 2 years, maybe 3 years max seems like that would be their preference? If so , Laine is probably the only player on the market (that we know of) that makes sense.

I could definitely live with that. That wouldn't hurt development for other guys all that much, would help rack up a few more wins, and Laine would be cheap to acquire so no real loss of premium assets either.

Reactions: electron58

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
25 year old Martin Necas: has a long future with the team
26 year old Patrick Laine: close to retirement

Thanks, glad to have hanged.
More that you sign Necas to his contract now (before he signed the deal with the canes) and he has 6 years left compared to Laine in 2 years who likely wants 7, or 8.

So far you've done nothing to prove the positive for Laine outweighs the negative.

All you've proven is that you're either not smart, or intentionally twist things to try and make a point you think you can counter, but actually can't.

Sprong? Perron?

Really? What's the point. You'd probably have equal likelihood that one of Anderson, Dvorak, Gallagher, or Armia bounces back.
Perron has produced equal to, or better than Laine for a while.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
23 y.o Newhook washed up, 23 y.o Caufield entering his prime.
Dach -- recovered, healthy, ready to roll, next year's the year, two way BEAST
Laine -- injury prone, sickly, possibly has bad vibes?

Sprong? Perron?

Really? What's the point. You'd probably have equal likelihood that one of Anderson, Dvorak, Gallagher, or Armia bounces back.
Sprong and Perron might've been good 'finishing' players for a roster that wants to get over the hump. We're nowhere close to the hump and have an incomplete roster.

More that you sign Necas to his contract now (before he signed the deal with the canes) and he has 6 years left compared to Laine in 2 years who likely wants 7, or 8.

So far you've done nothing to prove the positive for Laine outweighs the negative.

All you've proven is that you're either not smart, or intentionally twist things to try and make a point you think you can counter, but actually can't.
No matter how you try to spin it, you actually think we're goofy enough to agree that Necas on a big money long-term commitment sight-unseen is a safer bet than to have Laine on a two-year deal and see what he has. And you think Laine at 28 potentially wanting a long-term deal is problematic but you want to keep cap space open to sign a 28 year old big money UFA to a long-term deal.

These are your arguments, not mine.

I don't need to prove the positive for Laine, we've been having this discussion for many weeks and I can count at least 15 different users here have made the case. Your argument that Laine's potential success is a negative factor because it would mean he needs to be re-signed is truly breathtaking.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00