HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
First, everything goes right and they might be on the cusp. Guess what, it won’t. I am fully confident when I say as the team is now, lottery pick around 5.

Every rebuilding team uses its assets to strengthen is team via trade. Sure people will throw out Dach and Newhook, but they aren’t enough. By the time some of these kids actually make the nhl and are ready to make significant contributions we wasted another 3 yrs and the core gets older. Do we have the same convo next summer, be patient, lol.

They have the money, assets, and picks, and it’s time to use them.

KH made some great signing this summer locking down Slaf and Guhle but if we go into next year with the same lineup, that’s a failure in my book.
They’re not wasting anything. The core is still developing. Suzuki is steadily improving and almost at a ppg. Caulfield still hasn’t hit expectations. Dach hasn’t even been healthy enough to get a read, but he’s still incredibly young. And I disagree that rebuilding teams does what you’re saying. Eventually, yes, but not so early. Besides, you actually need assets to get assets. Who exactly are you trading to get a top 6 like a Necas or Zegras? Because their teams are gonna want a core player.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
First, everything goes right and they might be on the cusp. Guess what, it won’t. I am fully confident when I say as the team is now, lottery pick around 5.
Even if this is true… so what?

We get a top five pick.
Every rebuilding team uses its assets to strengthen is team via trade. Sure people will throw out Dach and Newhook, but they aren’t enough. By the time some of these kids actually make the nhl and are ready to make significant contributions we wasted another 3 yrs and the core gets older. Do we have the same convo next summer, be patient, lol.
Those three years aren’t wasted. By then most of the team still won’t even be in its prime yet.
They have the money, assets, and picks, and it’s time to use them.
Why now? We’re not contenders. Still super young. A top six addition likely doesn’t get us to the playoffs anyway.
KH made some great signing this summer locking down Slaf and Guhle but if we go into next year with the same lineup, that’s a failure in my book.
If we draft top five next year it just assures us of an even stronger team down the road.

Reactions: ElQuebecois

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Even if this is true… so what?

We get a top five pick.

Those three years aren’t wasted. By then most of the team still won’t even be in its prime yet.

Why now? We’re not contenders. Still super young. A top six addition likely doesn’t get us to the playoffs anyway.

If we draft top five next year it just assures us of an even stronger team down the road.
Exactly. Add Martone to this forward group and we are set fr. Even better if CGY finishes just outside the top 10 (we get that pick) OR best case scenario CGY finishes bottom 5 and FLA misses the playoffs (we get that top 5 pick).

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Newhook-Dach-Demidov
Roy-Hage-Martone
Xhekaj-Beck-Kapanen

*ideally you get another big guy that can score to play with Dach and Demidov, thats why also getting a great pick (from CGY) would be amazing (Spence would be awesome)

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
We are building a team with Suzuki as our cap limit.

For the 2027, 2028 and 2029 seasons we will have the following (with Anderson and Gally finally gone)

Suzuki - 7.875
Caufield - 7.85
Slaf - 7.6
Guhle - 5.5

Dach, Newhook, Hutson, Rein, Demidov will all need new deals before or during that time, and the only one I truly see smashing through the Suzuki deal is Demidov. He will be coming out of his ELC by 2028, and even if he goes 10 mil, the cap will be large by then.

We are building something special. Add Laine for his current two year deal and then renogitiate him down under Suzuki on a long term deal if he produces.

Man we are set.

For now anyway.

It’ll be interesting to see how Demidov develops, he has the potential to make more than Suzuki right after his ELC is done.

If he’s a 90pt+ winger , he’s going to break that rule for sure.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Dach had 3 seasons in the NHL. Newhook had two. You look at prospects a little different than I do. I would say Roy would still be considered a prospect. Since he hasn't even completed a half season yet.
I consider a player who’s 23 or younger and hasn’t had an NHL impact as a prospect. I’ve argued that all the way back to when I first came here. Those are rebuilding moves. Slaf for example would be would be a prospect so would Byfield.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I consider a player who’s 23 or younger and hasn’t had an NHL impact as a prospect. I’ve argued that all the way back to when I first came here. Those are rebuilding moves. Slaf for example would be would be a prospect so would Byfield.
Fair enough, I consider players who can qualify for the Calder to still be considered prospects.

Either way, both Dach and Newhook were more advanced, than what they were traded for. Which is why I'd consider what HuGo did to be speeding up the rebuild process, by obtaining them.

Reactions: Runner77 and Rapala

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Fair enough, I consider players who can qualify for the Calder to still be considered prospects.

Either way, both Dach and Newhook were more advanced, than what they were traded for. Which is why I'd consider what HuGo did to be speeding up the rebuild process, by obtaining them.
That’s cool. It’s not a hard and fast rule. And you’re absolutely right it was designed to speed up the rebuild. I have no problem with that.

Everyone wants the rebuild to be over as soon as possible. That includes me. I just don’t want to see shortcuts. Neither Dach nor Newhook are shortcuts. They’re being developed here.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
That’s cool. It’s not a hard and fast rule. And you’re absolutely right it was designed to speed up the rebuild. I have no problem with that.

Everyone wants the rebuild to be over as soon as possible. That includes me. I just don’t want to see shortcuts. Neither Dach nor Newhook are shortcuts. They’re being developed here.
Oh okay. I had understood that you wanted us to rebuild "organically". By drafting players, letting them develop only. While it was obvious to me that adding Dach and Newhook was a way to speed up that process.

That's where I think HuGo is thinking differently than you are. If they were doing it your way. They would hold off looking for a top 6 player, and ride out the season with what we have. You and some of our fans are willing to let things develop naturally. While I think HuGo is looking to give a drop kick, to our rebuild.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Oh okay. I had understood that you wanted us to rebuild "organically". By drafting players, letting them develop only. While it was obvious to me that adding Dach and Newhook was a way to speed up that process.

That's where I think HuGo is thinking differently than you are. If they were doing it your way. They would hold off looking for a top 6 player, and ride out the season with what we have. You and some of our fans are willing to let things develop naturally. While I think HuGo is looking to give a drop kick, to our rebuild.
I think we’ll add a player at some point. Probably top six. We have Slaf, Nick, CC, Demidov and Dach. 5 great players. Add a power forward there and we’re good. That moves Roy and Newhook to the third with Dach with Hage on the way.

We have so much to trade with. Too much to fit into our future lineup actually. Engstrom, Harris, Struble… great young depth blueliners. And we’ll probably consolidate some of that into a great player or high pick to get that player.

There’s little doubt we’ll add to the team. He’s not just going to go with what we have as of today. But I’m don’t know if he’s going to do it NOW. He probably wants to see what this team can do. Can Dach stay healthy? Can Roy handle a top six? Based on that I think he’ll make moves later.

For example, if Dach has another big injury we’ll immediately start looking for a new 2nd line center.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

I agree with you on the vibes from Hugo.

Let’s keep drafting in the top 10 for then next five years until we plug all the holes. Many of the prospects are a couple years away from making it, and how many years until they actually make an impact?

For example, Hage, he isn’t going to be in the lineup next year and most likely the year after. I’m high on Beck but is he isn’t a lock this year, maybe next but he isn’t going to make such impact. Mesar, does anyone really think he is close? So who are all these forward prospects that are going to fill all the roles? How many good forward prospects do they have that are at all close, 3 Beck and Roy and Demi. Only Demi is a blue chip prospect.

Getting Dach and Newhook was a start but he has to do more.

So let’s say they give picks and a prospect and get Laine. He has an ok year and gets 25 goals (could be a lot more, could be less) has this hurt the development organically, it has not. What it does is add another young piece to the core. So what if you pick 10 instead of 5th.

Like I said before, if he does nothing this summer it’s a failure.

Can’t fix this roster without making some bold moves for nhl ready guys or be prepared for 6 or 7 yr rebuild, lol.

Anyway, only time will tell. I itching for some competitive hab hockey.

Last edited:

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I think we’ll add a player at some point. Probably top six. We have Slaf, Nick, CC, Demidov and Dach. 5 great players. Add a power forward there and we’re good. That moves Roy and Newhook to the third with Dach with Hage on the way.

We have so much to trade with. Too much actually. And we’ll probably consolidate some of that into a great player or high pick to get that player.

There’s little doubt we’ll add to the team. He’s not just going to go with what we have as of today. But I’m don’t know if he’s going to do it NOW. He probably wants to see what this team can do. Can Dach stay healthy? Can Roy handle a top six? Based on that I think he’ll make moves later.

For example, if Dach has another big injury we’ll immediately start looking for a new 2nd line center.
It's possible, but when your GM comes out and states he's looking for a top 6 player. Then is rumoured to have made an offer to Marchessault. Personally I'd take that as being a priority. Not just a "oh well, if it happens, it happens" situation. I'd be quite surprised if we didn't see it happen before the season starts. Oh a solid power forward would be nice.

That's why I think you'll see a move done sooner than later. We have a lot of assets, time to move some.

I honestly don't know either. I can only go by what HuGo has said and their previous actions. I don't think their ready to let the next step just happen naturally.

Yes that we can agree on lol If Dach can't stay healthy again this season. Changes will have to be made.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
It's possible, but when your GM comes out and states he's looking for a top 6 player. Then is rumoured to have made an offer to Marchessault. Personally I'd take that as being a priority. Not just a "oh well, if it happens, it happens" situation. I'd be quite surprised if we didn't see it happen before the season starts. Oh a solid power forward would be nice.

That's why I think you'll see a move done sooner than later. We have a lot of assets, time to move some.

I honestly don't know either. I can only go by what HuGo has said and their previous actions. I don't think their ready to let the next step just happen naturally.

Yes that we can agree on lol If Dach can't stay healthy again this season. Changes will have to be made.
That's my view as well. It's not me that wants to speed this up or try to compete a little bit more. As a fan, I have all the time in the world. I'm on a prospects board. If they get another top 5 guy next year, all gravy as long as he has elite potential like Demidov.

But the messaging from the players and the GM is that they don't want to keep losing like we have been. Fair enough. And like you said, they made JM an offer. I also believe that Hughes follows the smoke, so to speak, meaning if there are rumblings that guys like Necas or Zegras are on the block, he takes a look (as he did with both Newhook and Dach).

So that's why I've been on the Laine train. He's a top 6 guy who can be gotten fairly cheap (if we don't need them to retain) and who, ultimately, may only be here for the two years he has left on his deal. It bridges the gap for us to have a solid, young top 6 and compete while also allowing guys to play and grow where they're supposed to.

The fit just makes too much sense IMO to not at least be explored. It may not happen because maybe Hughes is a weirdo about not bringing a guy in who makes more than Suzuki or for a myriad of other reasons. But I'd like to see it.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
That's my view as well. It's not me that wants to speed this up or try to compete a little bit more. As a fan, I have all the time in the world. I'm on a prospects board. If they get another top 5 guy next year, all gravy as long as he has elite potential like Demidov.

But the messaging from the players and the GM is that they don't want to keep losing like we have been. Fair enough. And like you said, they made JM an offer. I also believe that Hughes follows the smoke, so to speak, meaning if there are rumblings that guys like Necas or Zegras are on the block, he takes a look (as he did with both Newhook and Dach).

So that's why I've been on the Laine train. He's a top 6 guy who can be gotten fairly cheap (if we don't need them to retain) and who, ultimately, may only be here for the two years he has left on his deal. It bridges the gap for us to have a solid, young top 6 and compete while also allowing guys to play and grow where they're supposed to.

The fit just makes too much sense IMO to not at least be explored. It may not happen because maybe Hughes is a weirdo about not bringing a guy in who makes more than Suzuki or for a myriad of other reasons. But I'd like to see it.

What if Laine exceeds everyone expectations, isn’t that a great problem to have in two years. Its such a low risk with a massive upside.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
What if Laine succeeds everyone expectations, isn’t that a great problem to have in two years. Its such a low risk with a massive upside.
I would love for it to be possible not to have our whole season tank because a top 6 guy gets hurt, and we have no depth for a change.

And yeah, that's the thing. He could perform like he's supposed to as well. If he doesn't, see ya later. If he does, that opens up all kinds of other avenues.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Let’s keep drafting in the top 10 for then next five years until we plug all the holes. Many of the prospects are a couple years away from making it, and how many years until they actually make an impact?

For example, Hage, he isn’t going to be in the lineup next year and most likely the year after. I’m high on Beck but is he isn’t a lock this year, maybe next but he isn’t going to make such impact. Mesar, does anyone really think he is close? So who are all these forward prospects that are going to fill all the roles?

Getting Dach and Newhook was a start but he has to do more.

So let’s say they give picks and a prospect and get Laine. He has an ok year and gets 25 goals (could be a lot more, could be less) has this hurt the development organically, it has not. What it does is add another young piece to the core. So what if you pick 10 instead of 5th. Let’s wait another year, we can do it again the season after, awesome!

Like I said before, if he does nothing this summer it’s a failure.

Fooling yourself if you think all the holes on this roster can be plugged by draft, he has to make some bold moves or be prepared for 6 or 7 yr rebuild, lol.
Yes I just find that method to be unrealistic. Some people don't take into consideration, players like Suzuki or Caufield. Players that have been here since the beginning of the rebuild. As dedicated as they are. I don't think they'd be too happy waiting 5 plus years at a sniff of the playoffs.

I'm excited about Hage, but as you mentioned. He's a few years away from contributing. I love Beck and I haven't given up on Mesar just yet. But again, they aren't close to being ready to contribute on a consistent basis.

Agreed, which is why there is talk of HuGo adding a top 6 player.

I'm all aboard adding Laine. I also don't think he will hurt the development of any player. Plus he's young enough to fit into our teams age bracket.

I'm not sure if I'd call it a failure. But I would be disappointed, since HuGo usually does what they say they're gonna do.

I definitely agree with the last part. You build your base through the draft. You fill the holes with trades and signings.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Yes I just find that method to be unrealistic. Some people don't take into consideration, players like Suzuki or Caufield. Players that have been here since the beginning of the rebuild. As dedicated as they are. I don't think they'd be too happy waiting 5 plus years at a sniff of the playoffs.

I'm excited about Hage, but as you mentioned. He's a few years away from contributing. I love Beck and I haven't given up on Mesar just yet. But again, they aren't close to being ready to contribute on a consistent basis.

Agreed, which is why there is talk of HuGo adding a top 6 player.

I'm all aboard adding Laine. I also don't think he will hurt the development of any player. Plus he's young enough to fit into our teams age bracket.

I'm not sure if I'd call it a failure. But I would be disappointed, since HuGo usually does what they say they're gonna do.

I definitely agree with the last part. You build your base through the draft. You fill the holes with trades and signings.
You articulated my position much better that I have.

I agree 100%

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

It won’t surprise me if we see one this year. If it happens cool.

But I’m not in the camp that believes he must do something now. No we don’t. If nothing happens, I’m totally cool with that.
I honestly don't know either. I can only go by what HuGo has said and their previous actions. I don't think they’re ready to let the next step just happen naturally.

Without a doubt. This is a big year for him. I’m rooting for him hard.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Laine is the only one out there who’s legit top 6 forward. We also need a top 6 forward who can score with size.

Laine doesn’t use his size though.

Maybe Filip Mesar and a 2nd round pick for Laine and

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
It won’t surprise me if we see one this year. If it happens cool.

But I’m not in the camp that believes he must do something now. No we don’t.
Until I had heard that HuGo wanted to add another top 6 player. My thinking was the same as yours. Let the team gel a bit more and see which players improve. After hearing their wants, and seeing their previous actions. That's how I came to the conclusion that a top 6 player will be added sooner rather than later. We all know I'm not smart enough to come up with that idea on my own. ;)

Without a doubt. This is a big year for him. I’m rooting for him hard.
I'm a huge Dach fan, and was thrilled when we got him. Even if we lost fan favourite Romanov. When we lost him to injury, it was equal to getting a severe shot to the nads. So yes, I'm 100% rooting for him as well.

Reactions: Runner77

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Until I had heard that HuGo wanted to add another top 6 player. My thinking was the same as yours. Let the team gel a bit more and see which players improve. After hearing their wants, and seeing their previous actions. That's how I came to the conclusion that a top 6 player will be added sooner rather than later. We all know I'm not smart enough to come up with that idea on my own. ;)

I'm a huge Dach fan, and was thrilled when we got him. Even if we lost fan favourite Romanov. When we lost him to injury, it was equal to getting a severe shot to the nads. So yes, I'm 100% rooting for him as well.

Dach 6’4” 210lbs right hand center picked top 3 and only 22 years old. That’s rare to have a player like that “available” for trade. I think Dach has a lot of upside. Could be a top 2 center because he’s very defensively sound. You can see high IQ back checking.

Also his offense needs to improve if he’s going to be top 2 center. He’s got the size and skills to pull it off. I see more of a 20-25 goals, 60 points center.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Dach 6’4” 210lbs right hand center picked top 3 and only 22 years old. That’s rare to have a player like that “available” for trade. I think Dach has a lot of upside. Could be a top 2 center because he’s very defensively sound. You can see high IQ back checking.

Also his offense needs to improve if he’s going to be top 2 center. He’s got the size and skills to pull it off. I see more of a 20-25 goals, 60 points center.
Very rare. I don't think we would have had a shot at him. Except for the fact that Chicago went scorched earth on their rebuild.

Agreed, there were some here that felt he has the potential to surpass Suzuki, and be our number 1 center. I don't quite see that, but I do see him as being a very good 2nd line center. I think the offense will come. We've seen it in short spurts already while playing for us.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Very rare. I don't think we would have had a shot at him. Except for the fact that Chicago went scorched earth on their rebuild.

Agreed, there were some here that felt he has the potential to surpass Suzuki, and be our number 1 center. I don't quite see that, but I do see him as being a very good 2nd line center. I think the offense will come. We've seen it in short spurts already while playing for us.

I see two outcome for Dach. If he reach his potential, we may see a Ryan Getzlaf ish player. Production won’t be like Getzlaf though.

At worst Dach will be a Michael Handzus ish. The guy is a rock star playoff time and is that key shutdown center all Cup winners have.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

If he is going to be our #2 center he better improve his face off percentage. 38% is not going to cut it. Got to start winning Face Offs, and get closer to 50%, puck possession will only improve his stats.

Ad

Ad

Ad