HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Newhook, Hage, Hutson, Dach (injuries not withstanding) and possibly Barron ARE all top young talents.

Two of the 4 are good prospects, the other two are good players with upside.

Bold - is making a trade and adding elite talent that can step in right now, think bigger.

Last edited:
Reactions: McGees

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
#1 - they need to reward the core guys who are busting thier ass by getting them some help.

#2 - I’m not sure they are a playoff team next year, so should they sit pat again?

#3 - because we are in yr 4 of a rebuild and it’s time to play in some games that matter past November.
With such a previously weak group of young players, you can’t possibly expect them to complete a rebuild in 3 years (they haven’t even started year 4 yet). Most of the guys the new regime have drafted are still in junior. What rebuilding team is that aggressive making big trades for vets or signing top 6 players anyway?
With that in mind, Hughes HAS been involved in talks regarding top 6 guys, but it’s not the time to sacrifice the future for these guys.
And it’s mostly been injuries that have killed them and prevented them from getting beyond 5th last. However, you can still look at the number of one goal games they were involved in last year as well as the point goals from the past 3 years of the rebuild. I’d say that 55, 68 and 76 shows progression. If that progression holds, they should be on the cusp this year and competing for a spot next year.
Trust the plan instead of getting angry that they didn’t make a knee jerk move.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
First, everything goes right and they might be on the cusp. Guess what, it won’t. I am fully confident when I say as the team is now, lottery pick around 5.

Every rebuilding team uses its assets to strengthen is team via trade. Sure people will throw out Dach and Newhook, but they aren’t enough. By the time some of these kids actually make the nhl and are ready to make significant contributions we wasted another 3 yrs and the core gets older. Do we have the same convo next summer, be patient, lol.

They have the money, assets, and picks, and it’s time to use them.

KH made some great signing this summer locking down Slaf and Guhle but if we go into next year with the same lineup, that’s a failure in my book.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
#1 - they need to reward the core guys who are busting thier ass by getting them some help.
I think they're fine one way or another. I don't see how they need a 'reward' by getting another forward.
#2 - I’m not sure they are a playoff team next year, so should they sit pat again?
It depends on what happens this year. Do the forwards kill it? If so, then why do we need to add more when we've already got Demidov coming? Does the second line get hurt? If so, then we may have to make changes - especially if it's Kirby Dach.
#3 - because we are in yr 4 of a rebuild and it’s time to play in some games that matter past November.
We just had our third draft. It's year three.

Teams have tried to fast forward rebuilds in the past and it generally doesn't work. The rebuild will take what it takes.
no matter who they add they won’t make the playoffs, never thought so. Even if everything goes right, they might get close, might.

Go get Laine!
We might get close anyway. A lot would have to go right but it could happen. Young talent can surprise you.

If you really want the playoffs though, get a defenseman. That would help a whole lot more than a depth forward would.

As for Laine... sure. If it's a cheap price and he's low risk I'm not wholly opposed. But I'd rather go another way.

Last edited:
Reactions: schwang26

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I think they're fine one way or another. I don't see how they need a 'reward' by getting another forward.

It depends on what happens this year. Do the forwards kill it? If so, then why do we need to add more when we've already got Demidov coming? Does the second line get hurt? If so, then we may have to make changes - especially if it's Kirby Dach.

Teams have tried to fast forward rebuilds in the past and it generally doesn't work. The rebuild will take what it takes.

We might get close anyway. A lot would have to go right but it could happen. Young talent can surprise you.

If you really want the playoffs though, get a defenseman. That would help a whole lot more than a depth forward would.

As for Laine... sure. If it's a cheap price and he's low risk I'm not wholly opposed. But I'd rather go another way.
That is the thing, what is the other way? most teams are locked and loaded already

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That is the thing, what is the other way? most teams are locked and loaded already
We could do nothing and I'd be fine with it. It's a development year anyway.
We could take on a short expensive contract in return for getting picks/prospects.
We could go after a young power forward (this would likely be far more expensive to do but could be worth it)
We could see what else is on the market

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
We could do nothing and I'd be fine with it. It's a development year anyway.
We could take on a short expensive contract in return for getting picks/prospects.
We could go after a young power forward (this would likely be far more expensive to do but could be worth it)
We could see what else is on the market
Nah bud, I'd check if Debrincat and Chycrun are available, those are two good young players that should automatically boost our rebuild with 0 downsides. Jokes aside, I'd prefer another player for the top-6 but I'm not convinced like others that this is THE season that moves are needed.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Nah bud, I'd check if Debrincat and Chycrun are available, those are two good young players that should automatically boost our rebuild with 0 downsides. Jokes aside, I'd prefer another player for the top-6 but I'm not convinced like others that this is THE season that moves are needed.
Glad you brought up Debrincat. The Hawks drafted him using the pick we gave them for Andrew Shaw. Another terrible trade. :laugh:

It’s like the Seinfeld episode… we need to do the opposite of what we used to do. And that’s exactly what Hughes has done.

“My name is George. I’m unemployed and I live with my parents.”

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Glad you brought up Debrincat. The Hawks drafted him using the pick we gave them for Andrew Shaw. Another terrible trade. :laugh:

It’s like the Seinfeld episode… we need to do the opposite of what we used to do. And that’s exactly what Hughes has done.

“My name is George. I’m unemployed and I live with my parents.”
Hi George :sarcasm:

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

- you reward the core because they want to win. Gms talk about that all the time. You think NS, CC etc want to go year after year carrying the load and talking about building a culture.

- we are heading into yr 4 of rebuild

- adding a top 6 speeds up a rebuild

- everything has to go right and they might get close. There will be injuries, not all guys will improve etc. Other teams around them improved, I’m convinced we will be fully entrenched in the lottery process.

- Laine isn’t a depth forward, he’s a top 6.

Going into next year with the same lineup is a failure.

Sorry but you’re not going to keep picking in top 5 to turn the corner. He will have to sign FA, and use assets to acquire current nhl talent like a top 6 forward. You can’t just draft your way to a rebuild and before you throw out Dach and Newhook, they have/had so many holes these two aren’t enough. IMO of the two only Dach is top 6 potential if he can stay on the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs10Habs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
- you reward the core because they want to win. Gms talk about that all the time. You think NS, CC etc want to go year after year carrying the load and talking about building a culture.

I don't think a vet really speeds up the rebuild the way you think it does. It might... but I think we'll miss the playoffs regardless.
- everything has to go right and they might get close. There will be injuries, not all guys will improve etc. Other teams around them improved, I’m convinced we will be fully entrenched in the lottery process.

He and Newhook will probably score similar amounts of goals - 20 something.
Not at all. It's a development year.
Sorry but you’re not going to keep picking in top 5 to turn the corner. He will have to sign FA, and use assets to acquire current nhl talent like a top 6 forward. You can’t just draft your way to a rebuild and before you throw out Dach and Newhook, they have/had so many holes these two aren’t enough. IMO of the two only Dach is top 6 potential if he can stay on the ice.
We don't really have to do anything to turn the corner now to be honest. We just have to wait. The players of a great team are already drafted. We just need to be patient.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I don't think a vet really speeds up the rebuild the way you think it does. It might... but I think we'll miss the playoffs regardless.

He and Newhook will probably score similar amounts of goals - 20 something.

Not at all. It's a development year.

We don't really have to do anything to turn the corner now to be honest. We just have to wait. The players of a great team are already drafted. We just need to be patient.
Have to agree to disagree on pretty much all your rebuttal

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Yep. Add prospects and picks.

Expensive vets? I prefer to do that down the road.
Yes, but neither Dach or Newhook were considered prospects at the time we traded for them. Instead they traded picks/Romanov to obtain players who were more advanced in their development.

Fair enough, my thinking is if the fit is right. You jump on it.

Reactions: Runner77

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

They already have 95% of what they need to win a Cup. But it will be 2 or 3 years before all the assets are ready. Hughes will add player(s) to the team but not at the expense of a player or players who might be a key cog(s) in a dynasty. He should be discussing with Suzuki what they are trying to do and explain if they are unable to add any forwards before the season starts. Give him examples of trade talks and that they couldn't give up significant assets and jeopardize a long run of contention to speed up the rebuild.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
We are building a team with Suzuki as our cap limit.

For the 2027, 2028 and 2029 seasons we will have the following (with Anderson and Gally finally gone)

Suzuki - 7.875
Caufield - 7.85
Slaf - 7.6
Guhle - 5.5

Dach, Newhook, Hutson, Rein, Demidov will all need new deals before or during that time, and the only one I truly see smashing through the Suzuki deal is Demidov. He will be coming out of his ELC by 2028, and even if he goes 10 mil, the cap will be large by then.

We are building something special. Add Laine for his current two year deal and then renogitiate him down under Suzuki on a long term deal if he produces.

Man we are set.

Reactions: Habby4Life

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site

Ad

Ad

Ad