Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Not all opinions are equal.

"Tie Domi is better than Wayne Gretzky"

"Okay, back that up"

(Crickets)
At fighting. Watch video and see with your own eyes how Tie Domi took on some of the biggest heavyweights and stood his own.
Not all opinions are equal.

"Tie Domi is better than Wayne Gretzky"

"Okay, back that up"

(Crickets)
At fighting. Watch video and see with your own eyes how Tie Domi took on some of the biggest heavyweights and stood his own. Gretzky couldn’t even take hard hits. I take Domi in that matchup lol

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Thank you! Now we can have a conversation based on expectations.

I think they'll do better but even if they do this, why would you think that's awful?

Under your scenario here, the second line will produce a cummulative total of 130 points. The average 2nd liner will land you somewhere around 50 points in an 82 point season. Let's give those guys an average of 44 points... (it's a little lower but let's go with it) That's hardly a terrible line.

I also think you're underrating those guys. Newhook had 35 in 55 last year despite a huge injury. Dach has 40 in his last 60 and there was every indication he was going to have a monster year last season. Roy at 35 is pretty light but let's go with that. I'd say it's 140 minimum for that line. That's right in line with an average second liner and I see a lot more upside than that.

So if we're not that far apart, why is this a "horrible" line? How is Newhook awful if he's going to put up 45 points? Dach is a strong two way player. Newhook isn't a liabilty. Roy's a rookie. At worst it'd be a slightly below average line even under what you have here.

If we're going to finish bottom five, it's certainly not because of the second line as your prediction here shows. At worst it's below average and not near awful.
If they score 130 points but let in 200 points, then that is a terrible 2nd line.

Just looking at points, as others have mentioned is overly simplistic.

But, I do agree that our hodgepodge 2nd line will be better than last year’s offerings, and will make us more competitive.

However, if we have a chance to improve it, we should take it, and let either Newhook or Roy play on the 3rd line.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Also where PLD wanted out of, but he's a pos for it ?

Asking for a trade because you're not getting the ice time, or you're getting f***ed around like say Robertson sort of is in Toronto, that makes sense. Laine and PLD just don't want to be in certain places for different reasons, but wanting out of 2 different placed is kind of a red flag on Laine's part (cbus he may want out because of something there triggered why he entered into the player's assistance program. Can't remember if it was for anxiety, or OCD, or something like that.
His father died ! So not ocd nor anxiety

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I’m with you on this. It’s a solid shot at adding elite level talent. You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. Risk is 2 years and two futures. We’ll be ok and I think the rewards outweigh the risks
Don't mean to nitpick, but I don't think that expression applies here. There could be bad consequences to taking that shot.

Not against taking a shot at Laine but not at that price.
It's all about assets management. Just because you can afford to part with those assets that you give them for anybody.
That 2025 CGY 1st should be used for a more permanent solution if they trade it.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If they score 130 points but let in 200 points, then that is a terrible 2nd line.

Just looking at points, as others have mentioned is overly simplistic.

But, I do agree that our hodgepodge 2nd line will be better than last year’s offerings, and will make us more competitive.

However, if we have a chance to improve it, we should take it, and let either Newhook or Roy play on the 3rd line.
A few points here:

1. The context of the debate. It was claimed that second line sucked. One of the worst seconds in the league. That’s clearly not the case. And it’s also hardly a weak line defensively. Dach is a beast of a two way player and Newhook is fine. Roy is a rookie so he’ll have some rough patches but overall, it’s what a normal second line would look like. It isn’t just a points exploitation line that can’t play D.

2. The context of the season and where we are. This is a development year. As much as some want us to rush things and get better RIGHT NOW it’s not going to happen whether we rush it or not. Absolutely we could make that line better than it is. But that’s besides the point. The point is that all those players are ready for this opportunity and need the ice time to develop. Moreover we need to see what they can do. As is, that’ll be an average (or slightly below average second line) and there’s nothing wrong with that considering the season we’re going into. All these guys will improve over the next few years. Probably by a lot.

3. Hugo will likely make some kind of move to shore things up. But I don’t know how much of a priority it is for him. He knows this team is unlikely to make the playoffs whether he does something up front or not. We’ll be one of the greenest teams in the league and our D could get even younger as the season progresses. I won’t be surprised if we go into the season with this as our top six. And that’s fine given the State of the club. It’s not imperative to do something now.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Don't mean to nitpick, but I don't think that expression applies here. There could be bad consequences to taking that shot.

Not against taking a shot at Laine but not at that price.
It's all about assets management. Just because you can afford to part with those assets that you give them for anybody.
That 2025 CGY 1st should be used for a more permanent solution if they trade it.
I agree. I am all for acquiring Laine but only based on the premiss the cost would be relatively cheap and doesn't have a negative impact if the experience isn't working out (for whatever reason).

I agree with you about the 2025 Calgary/Florida 1st. I think it should be used on a young veteran top 4 RHD that would take pressure off of Reinbacher and Mailloux's back next season and going forward.

Although for Laine, i would be ok with Habs or Pitts 2025's 2nd

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I've already made my thoughts on acquiring Laine known, but I've found another I wouldn't do it - Laine's AAV and how it handcuffs us from making other, and maybe better, additions.

What if a better $8-10mill forward becomes available, through trade, UFA, offer sheet, and we couldn't because we're tied to Laine for 2 years. Just because we can afford spending that extra cap space, it's still an asset to have.

This would all be dreams - but what if we were able to offer sheet Wyatt Johnston, trade for Barzal etc.

Yes, Laine is probably the best top 6F point getter available right now but it doesn't mean he'll stay being that player for 2 more years.

Just a thought.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I've already made my thoughts on acquiring Laine known, but I've found another I wouldn't do it - Laine's AAV and how it handcuffs us from making other, and maybe better, additions.

What if a better $8-10mill forward becomes available, through trade, UFA, offer sheet, and we couldn't because we're tied to Laine for 2 years. Just because we can afford spending that extra cap space, it's still an asset to have.

This would all be dreams - but what if we were able to offer sheet Wyatt Johnston, trade for Barzal etc.

Yes, Laine is probably the best top 6F point getter available right now but it doesn't mean he'll stay being that player for 2 more years.

Just a thought.
a single player can't be responsible for the team not being able to sign or trade for a player.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Good time to take a gamble on Laine:

For this year:
Caufield Suzuki Slaf
Laine Dach Newhook

For next season:
Caufield Suzuki Slaf
Laine Dach Demidov
Newhook Beck Roy

Next target: veteran top4 d-man to stabilize the youth on the back end.
Laine with a rookie Demidov. You looking for that line to give up 50 more goals than they score?

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

Just a thought.
I think for this offseason, HuGo knows which players are available or not so it's not a problem. If HuGo goes for Laine, it's because there are no other good options on the table. For next season, we will have so many contracts off the books that we will ba able to add 2 other big contracts players if we want to.

I wouldn't worry about the salary cap for the next 5 years. It will become an issue after our contending window.

Reactions: junyab

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Just a thought.
Price’s contract will almost certainly be traded July 2nd, 2025 after his July 1st bonus payout, freeing up $10M cap space …

I don’t foresee any issues: $8M-$10M players likely have Habs on NTC limiting trade options if one even exists, UFA everyone’s coveting are unlikely to hit market (Draisaitl, Ratannen etc)

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

Just a thought.
Yeah I know what you mean. I went through the same dilemma when I married my wife. She was a good match for me. Though I had read some rumours that Jessica Alba's marriage was on the rocks. So it was a tough decision, but I decided to marry my wife. We've been happy ever since. While that damn Jessica Alba is still married.

The moral of my demented story. Passing on something in the present, that may be a good fit. Might not be a good idea, as no one truly knows what the future brings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad