HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
You could turn out to be right. But blueliners take longer to develop. If Barron hits he could be a great player at a hard position to fill. Lots of value in him being a right shot. People have written him off too quickly.

I don’t see the same upside for McG though I do like his profile.

Barron has 28 points in 87 games while only getting PP time with our terrible second unit. For a 21/22 year old those are very good numbers.

After the last 2-3 decades of young D getting benched every mistake for a veteran, it is surprising to see how little patience some people have for our young D at times.

Barron has a lot of ups and downs defensively, but so have Guhle, Harris, Xhekaj and Struble. It is to be expected for guys with under 100 games in the NHL.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Barron has 28 points in 87 games while only getting PP time with our terrible second unit. For a 21/22 year old those are very good numbers.

After the last 2-3 decades of young D getting benched every mistake for a veteran, it is surprising to see how little patience some people have for our young D at times.

Barron has a lot of ups and downs defensively, but so have Guhle, Harris, Xhekaj and Struble. It is to be expected for guys with under 100 games in the NHL.
You have to give the guy some games for sure. Giving up on a big, smooth skating right shot blueliner could be disastrous down the road. The upside is there and we have to be patient.

Patience is not what you can expect from fans. :laugh: We all want immediate results and it's really easy to forget how young these guys are. Barron seems like he's been here forever... but less than 100 games. It's far too early to write him off and I'd be really leery about trading him. He's not untradeable by any means but it has to be really compelling.

Imagine trading this guy away and then in two years he 'pops'. It would be chaos on these boards. :laugh: I'm still not over the McD trade.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I see this repeated often and I am not sure if it is accurate.

2016-17 73 out of 82
2017-18 82 out of 82
2018-19 82 out of 82
2019-20 68 out of 71* Covid year
2020-21 46 out of 56* Covid year
2021-22 56 of 82 due to injury
2022-23 55 out of 82 due to injury
2023-24 18 out of 82 due to player assistance program

I see two distinct seasons where he battled injuries for a good part of the year. Last year he missed the season mostly due to the player assistance program while also recovering from a clavicle injury. For the first 5 of 8 seasons he played the majority of the season's games.

Can we please closely examine claims we want to make before making them.

Also, he's had a whole year off to potentially recover from any lingering injuries that might harder to heal with you are playing for 8 of 12 months of the year.
Overblown a little? Okay. But it's fair to say he's missed a fair bit of time over the past three years right? Also fair to say he's coming off shoulder surgery.

Caufield had a long stint to recover and his shooting percentage last year was brutal. I don't think it's unfair to be concerned about that with Laine.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Overblown a little? Okay. But it's fair to say he's missed a fair bit of time over the past three years right? Also fair to say he's coming off shoulder surgery.

Caufield had a long stint to recover and his shooting percentage last year was brutal. I don't think it's unfair to be concerned about that with Laine.
It’s perfectly fair to be concerned about his recovery (both mental and physical) and upcoming contribution. It’s embedded in his (rumoured) relatively cheap acquisition cost. A healthy Laine with assurances of form would cost an incredible amount.

The injury Laine had was a clavicle injury and the shoulder surgery was something they refer to as “cleaning up” which implies it was less intensive and impactful to his mechanics.

Whatever happens, he seems fit to start the season wherever he ends up.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

B1g B1rd

Habs Best Def of all times
May 21, 2018
I just hope they dont overpay for Laine. If there are multiple teams interested, the danger is there. It would be nice to have him IF he's willing to invest himself in playing hockey and is mentally and physically fit. But I dont think we absolutely need him.

So for me, its a 2nd or a 3rd and we eat his entire salary or a trade one on one Anderson/Laine. If they're willing to keep 25% of Laine's salary, add a prospect to that (Mesar, Farrell....)

If more, it's good bye Dougie...

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Harris is fine, Anderson's fine...

I don't like giving up Struble, the first and Mesar.

I don't think Laine is the player you do though. You could well be right. Maybe he comes in and kills it.

I think he'll be a sub 30 goal player who misses a bunch of games and eats up 8 mil in cap space. To me, it really has to be a dump where we take the salary and give them like a 2nd rounder or something like that. I wouldn't pay any real value for him.
Even if he is a sub 30 guy who misses games, the commitment is only 2 years. It really only limits our big game UFA hunting next summer, which is problematic. But sending Donkey the other way, provides relief, and if they aren't taking a moderate ticket item like him, then they have to retain.

I'm good with the gamble.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I just hope they dont overpay for Laine. If there are multiple teams interested, the danger is there. It would be nice to have him IF he's willing to invest himself in playing hockey and is mentally and physically fit. But I dont think we absolutely need him.

So for me, its a 2nd or a 3rd and we eat his entire salary or a trade one on one Anderson/Laine. If they're willing to keep 25% of Laine's salary, add a prospect to that (Mesar, Farrell....)
His salary isn't particularly problematic for us, which is a benefit because we can absorb it without asking them to retain anything -- giving us a leg-up in trade talks vs teams that demand retention. It really depends on what cap space is worth right now. Two years ago this time it was worth a ton (Covid flat cap) and we were paid a first round pick to take Sean Monahan's whole cap hit. It's always worth something, but maybe less so this year and next given the rapidly rising cap ceiling.

If CBJ plan to quickly rejig and try to compete with Johnny Gaudreau, then it's they'll prefer to get rid of Laine's whole cap hit.

B1g B1rd

Habs Best Def of all times
May 21, 2018
If CBJ plan to quickly rejig and try to compete with Johnny Gaudreau, then it's they'll prefer to get rid of Laine's whole cap hit.
Good points vs retention/no retention. No problem with taking full Laine salary but then, they should expect that the cost of acquisition will be lower. 3rd rd - 2nd rd at the most or one of Mesar/Farrell/Kidney...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That's the way it usually works. It doesn't mean it's the way it's always going to work that way.

Hughes has done something few GMs have done in the past. He's gone ALL IN on trading away vets and garnered a crap ton of prospects either trading for them or picks. By doing this he's accelerated the rebuild signficantly. In three years he's gotten:

Dach (trade)
Newhook (trade)
Demidov (draft)
Barron (trade)
RB (draft)
Slaf (draft)
Mesar (draft)
Hutson (trade)
Beck (draft)
Engstrom (draft)
Hage (draft)

That is a shitload of great young talent to amass in three years. You don't normally see that kind of volume or quality in such a short period of time. And we already have two more 1sts in the next draft.

That's not to say more trades won't come. For sure they will. And some of the guys here will probably be moved. But the drafting for picks and prospects has been incredible. This is not a normal rebuild, it's one that's been done very aggressively. And that bodes very well for us. Especially considering that there were young pieces (Suzuki, Guhle, CC, Mailloux) already here to begin with.

And (just as importantly) he's also hired somebody who's great at development. So we're maximizing those assets as well.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
time to make a deal and set the bar of this team making strides.
He has to, you just can’t draft your way to a cup contender. Time for KH to get it done. Who cares if they slide down the draft, it’s time to start winning games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad