HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Well we have basically the whole team locked up til the summer of 26. With only Dach, Matheson and Guhle to make decisions on and currently 42 million in cap space at a flat cap. We know the cap is going up so I imagine either next summer or sometime this year we pick up some dead contracts for assets or spend on a big time player.

Most teams are pretty good cap wise. Almost every team over right now has a massive LTIR contract that will put them under by opening night. Too lazy to look around but I'm sure there's some RFA targets on teams with too many guys to re-sign this summer. I guess the Rags cause of Shesterkin apparently asking for 12 mil and Laf/Miller/Lindgren needing new contracts. Kakko isn't worth his QO so maybe that's a target.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I'd throw in a 2nd and drive him to airport.
Much more faith in McG becoming a useful piece than Barron.
You could turn out to be right. But blueliners take longer to develop. If Barron hits he could be a great player at a hard position to fill. Lots of value in him being a right shot. People have written him off too quickly.

I don’t see the same upside for McG though I do like his profile.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
For anyone keeping track, now that Xhekaj and Barron are locked up Montreal has approximately 5.4 mil in cap space with a full 23 man roster. That number includes RHP's cap hit on IR and Price on IR instead of LTIR.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
C'mon Kent.....

"Make a play for Laine"

Anderson or Gally
+
Harris or Struble
+
Mesar
+
Conditional 2025 1st
**conditions - if we make playoffs, they get better of our two 1sts...if we miss the playoffs, they get the worst of our two 1sts**

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Dach - Laine

Reactions: sampollock

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Laine is often injured.

Habs now have a bunch of d signed. So, are they going to trade one, or run their values into the ground like the previous management did with Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn ?

Reactions: Destopcorner

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Laine is often injured.
I see this repeated often and I am not sure if it is accurate.

2016-17 73 out of 82
2017-18 82 out of 82
2018-19 82 out of 82
2019-20 68 out of 71* Covid year
2020-21 46 out of 56* Covid year
2021-22 56 of 82 due to injury
2022-23 55 out of 82 due to injury
2023-24 18 out of 82 due to player assistance program

I see two distinct seasons where he battled injuries for a good part of the year. Last year he missed the season mostly due to the player assistance program while also recovering from a clavicle injury. For the first 5 of 8 seasons he played the majority of the season's games.

Can we please closely examine claims we want to make before making them.

Also, he's had a whole year off to potentially recover from any lingering injuries that might harder to heal with you are playing for 8 of 12 months of the year.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Anderson + Harris + Mesar + 25+ overall?

Id do that all day everyday.
Harris is fine, Anderson's fine...

I don't like giving up Struble, the first and Mesar.

I don't think Laine is the player you do though. You could well be right. Maybe he comes in and kills it.

I think he'll be a sub 30 goal player who misses a bunch of games and eats up 8 mil in cap space. To me, it really has to be a dump where we take the salary and give them like a 2nd rounder or something like that. I wouldn't pay any real value for him.

Reactions: dralaf and HabbyGuy

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
So is Dach

no more injured that Dach. I got a feeling Laine is going to put up some good numbers
The point is Habs already have Dach and a few others that may miss time every season. Can they afford to add another who has already suffered a few injuries. If it was for a modest return then there isn't much risk since he is only locked up for 2 years. Now there isn't much a GM can do if he acquires a guy who has never had a serious injury and then he starts getting hurt once they get him.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I like Barron’s potential. RD, big fast skater. I think he’s got more upside.
But at what point is that so-called upside not realized? Yes we need RHD, badly, im just not sold on Barron being anymore than spot top 4 replacement or 5/6 regular. McG is showing top 6 winger, with the exact intangibles Habs are missing up front. With Dach (newhook, roy) being a total question mark, i think it becomes smart asset management to round out our top Fs.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
not on this board.. many feel he is waste of time
And we could well be wrong. Monahan was busted up and turned out great. But he wasn’t making 8 mil a year…

Laine could work out really well. There’s no doubting his talent. I wouldn’t pay for him but he could be another Monahan type pickup.

Reactions: sampollock

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
But at what point is that so-called upside not realized?
He’s played less than 100 games and is 22 years old. Blueliners take a while.

I think we give him the year to show what he can do at the very least.
Yes we need RHD, badly, im just not sold on Barron being anymore than spot top 4 replacement or 5/6 regular. McG is showing top 6 winger, with the exact intangibles Habs are missing up front. With Dach (newhook, roy) being a total question mark, i think it becomes smart asset management to round out our top Fs.
You could be right. Maybe he’s another Beaulieu. Beau had all the tools and no toolbox. But I think we owe it to ourselves and Barron to see what he can do. RD with all the tools - if he pans out he’d be awesome.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Well we have basically the whole team locked up til the summer of 26. With only Dach, Matheson and Guhle to make decisions on and currently 42 million in cap space at a flat cap. We know the cap is going up so I imagine either next summer or sometime this year we pick up some dead contracts for assets or spend on a big time player.

Most teams are pretty good cap wise. Almost every team over right now has a massive LTIR contract that will put them under by opening night. Too lazy to look around but I'm sure there's some RFA targets on teams with too many guys to re-sign this summer. I guess the Rags cause of Shesterkin apparently asking for 12 mil and Laf/Miller/Lindgren needing new contracts. Kakko isn't worth his QO so maybe that's a target.
Id be fine targeting Kakko too.. there is no doubt we need to make an attempt (at least) to add to our top 6. Sitting pat would be a terrible strategy for this year.. adding one of:
Laine
McG
Kakko
Is easily the smart direction to ascertain our chances fir 2025-26 onwards.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
But at what point is that so-called upside not realized? Yes we need RHD, badly, im just not sold on Barron being anymore than spot top 4 replacement or 5/6 regular. McG is showing top 6 winger, with the exact intangibles Habs are missing up front. With Dach (newhook, roy) being a total question mark, i think it becomes smart asset management to round out our top Fs.
What are you talking about? McGroarty has done nothing and Newhook already looks like at least a 50 pt forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad