HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If you’re going to talk about Laine’s games player over the last 4 years could you please acknowledge the shortened COVID seasons? Folks are looking over this and it’s super disingenuous
Or people just weren't paying attention. I didn't even think about the covid factor.

And I don't think it really matters. Even if he played almost a full season last year, he's still coming off shoulder surgery. That alone is enough to wonder about what you're getting here. Look what happened to Caufield last year.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Except you’re imagining the Laine of 2018-19. That’s a long time ago.
Nope, a healthy Laine not trapped in hockey Siberia, Columbus.

Folks on here are undervaluing him. Better pure goal scorer than CC or NS.

Or people just weren't paying attention. I didn't even think about the covid factor.

And I don't think it really matters. Even if he played almost a full season last year, he's still coming off shoulder surgery. That alone is enough to wonder about what you're getting here. Look what happened to Caufield last year.
So we should move from CC, lol.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Nope, a healthy Laine not trapped in hockey Siberia, Columbus.

Folks on here are undervaluing him. Better pure goal scorer than CC or NS.
Yeah Columbus became so much better when they traded for him. And Winnipeg got worse…

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
We have Joshua Roy. We don’t need Laine, or McGroarty, or Zegras, or Necas, or any other stinkin’ forward. We can’t disturb Joshua Roy’s path to greatness. He could maybe one day if the stars align get over 50 points.

This is how good teams operate, after all.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
We have Joshua Roy. We don’t need Laine, or McGroarty, or Zegras, or Necas, or any other stinkin’ forward. We can’t disturb Joshua Roy’s path to greatness. He could maybe one day if the stars align get over 50 points.
I laugh at the folks on here that bawl when the habs didn’t sign Perron or some other washed up 30+ guy. Buy now say the habs are too good to use Laine. Hab fans are something.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

they-had-us-in-the-first-half-not-gonna-lie.png

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
We do not know the cause of his mental health issues. Just because he has them it doesn’t mean it is due to an inability to handle pressure.

Maybe he has body image issues. Maybe he had a severe bout of depression because of the death of his dad.

To throw out a blanket statement of “how can a person with mental health issues deal with the pressure of Montreal” is entirely meaningless if we don’t know the cause his emotional ailments.

You nailed it. People making up why he was in the assistance program is BS.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
He didn’t change a thing in Columbus despite people here claiming he’s a 40 goal scorer. He doesn’t make teams better.
He was on a crap team, ffs. McDavid couldn’t save that dumpster fire of a team.

One more would be nice going forward. Honestly though, the top six we have going into this year is pretty good and next year we’ll add Demidov to it.

One more would mean Roy and Newhook go to the third giving us great depth.

Why are they in trouble? We are not expecting the playoffs anyway.

Dach and Newhook should be good for at least 50 each. Roy should get 40. That’s fine for a second line. The top six is pretty decent as is.

But we don’t really have much scoring depth beyond it. Demidov will help next year.
A second line that is MAYBE good for 40 points each is far from decent.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Dach is probably 60 +. Newhook is very likely 50+. Roy is likley 40+. That's just fine for a second line.

Do you honestly think Dach is going to score 40 if he plays 82 games?

Last edited:
Reactions: dralaf

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He was on a crap team, ffs. McDavid couldn’t save that dumpster fire of a team.

They made the playoffs the year before he got there. Then he got there and they became the worst team in the division.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Dach is probably 60 +. Newhook is very likely 50. Roy is likley 40+. That's just fine for a second line.

Do you honestly think Dach is going to score 40 if he plays 82 games?

IF he is healthy, Dach hasn’t been healthy in anyone one of his first 5 seasons. So big question there. I like Dach but he can’t stay healthy.

If a teams second line is Dach, Roy, and Newhook then your a bottom 5 lottery pick again. That’s a garbage second line.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
IF he is healthy, Dach hasn’t been healthy in anyone one of his first 5 seasons. So big question there. I like Dach but he can’t stay healthy.
And Laine can?
If a teams second line is Dach, Roy, and Newhook then your a bottom 5 lottery pick again. That’s a garbage second line.
Bulshit. That's just fine for a second line.

Like any team, health will matter. But if it's healthy, that's what a standard second line looks like. What the hell are you expecting from your second line?

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
They made the playoffs the year before he got there. Then he got there and they became the worst team in the division.
Yeah, cause their GM sucked and put together a shit roster, that’s not on Laine.

I’m sure it was PLs fault for that dumpster fire roster, lol.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
And Laine can?

Bulshit. That's just fine for a second line.

Like any team, health will matter. But if it's healthy, that's what a standard second line looks like. What the hell are you expecting from your second line?
Laine, that’s my exact point. If Laine can stay healthy he can put up good numbers, he has done it many times before. If Dach can, he’s more injury prone that Laine, lol.

That’s a garbage second line, certainly not a team with any potential of doing squat in the playoffs. More mediocrity.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

...and last summer there were several folks here clamoring for the Habs to acquire PLD. How did that work out? Sometimes a player's warts are real.

As I mentioned earlier, I would be on board with acquiring McGroarty, as I think he brings something to the forward group that is needed more than Zegras or Laine. I just don't think in the next two seasons that Laine is going to miraculously turn back into the guy who scored 40 goals once in his career... 7 years ago. As for Necas, I seriously doubt Carolina's interested in trading him now.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Laine, that’s my exact point. If Laine can stay healthy he can put up good numbers, he has done it many times before. If Dach can, he’s more injury prone that Laine, lol.
Why are we trading for a guy who can't stay healthy if we have concerns with health already? It doesn't make any sense.

Dach is healthy to start the year. No reason to think he can't do it. If he does go down we can re-evaluate and replace him if need be. But adding an injury prone player who's coming off shoulder surgery is not the way to mitigate this risk.
That’s a garbage second line, certainly not a team with any potential of doing squat in the playoffs. More mediocrity.
Bullshit.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Why are we trading for a guy who can't stay healthy if we have concerns with health already? It doesn't make any sense.

Dach is healthy to start the year. No reason to think he can't do it. If he does go down we can re-evaluate and replace him if need be. But adding an injury prone player who's coming off shoulder surgery is not the way to mitigate this risk.

Bullshit.
No reason to think he can’t do it, except for the past five seasons he has been unable to.

Who cares about shoulder surgery, these guys get the best medical care and if he is good to go that’s all that matters. Many guys have shoulder surgery. Let’s not add offensive talent to the juggernaut habs, lol.

And yes, that’s a freakin brutal garbage second line. A marginal playoff team at the very best.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No reason to think he can’t do it, except for the past five seasons he has been unable to.

Who cares about shoulder surgery, these guys get the best medical care and if he is good to go that’s all that matters. Many guys have shoulder surgery.
Right... Dach can't play 82 but Laine can.

All we need is a wand.
And yes, that’s a freakin brutal garbage second line.
It is if you're crazy enough to think those guys will score less than 40 points each over 82... a ludicrous prediction.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Right... Dach can't play 82 but Laine can.

All we need is a wand.

It is if you're crazy enough to think those guys will score less than 40 points each over 82... a ludicrous prediction.

I’m using your logic regarding playing 82. If there is no reason Dach can despite his past, why can’t Laine? You can’t have it both ways.

I said a second line of these 40ish point guys is nothing to get excited about. Sorry, but if that’s the Habs second line they are for sure a bottom five team. That’s not a second line on any cup contending team. I’ll also point out, none of the three have put up 40 points in any year in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad