HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Then the habs should be looking to dump CC, Wifi, Dach etc. All are injury prone.
No. The point is to not acquire any more injury prone players. In any event Caufield can't be said to be injury prone, at least not yet. Xhekaj, Guhle and Dach probably.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
He would be the habs best pure goal scorer by far. Laine is in his prime, has put up very good numbers in the past and if he is good to go and willing to come to MTL, the habs should be all over him.

The move is exactly what the habs should be doing.

Salary is for two years, they have the room. Injury issues, Cole, wifi, Dach, all have injury issues. If he is medically fit to go, he has the potential easily to be a point per game guy.

1- He did not played more than 56 games in a season for the past 4 years.
2- He put up 141pts in 175 games, averaging a 66pts season
3- 66 goals in those 175 games, averaging 30 goals per season

Let's stop overselling him.

He's a good player when healthy no doubt,but I think Caufield is and will be a better goal scorer than him and I think Slafkovsky sill be a better player and I also think Demidov will be a ahead of him.

If his contract was on the last year...then maybe.

That's 3 wingers I place ahead of him and if one other make his case in the next 12 months, then he's a bottom 6 players and the last thing we need is another highely paid bottom 6 players so that's why they only way this could make sense is Anderson going the other way.

Let's not rush things, we have assets, we have trade capital and we have cap space but I think there will be better opportunity out there that would make more sense.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
- If the acquisition cost is reasonable and we’re just looking to acquire help on the second line, Laine is welcome to come here and struggle with the market or with injuries. I’m sure the organization will do whatever they can to support him with that. This doesn’t need to be a perfect situation or seamless transition for both the team and the player to benefit. Big upside if everything works, decent outcomes possible in the middle ground, minimal downside if it doesn’t.

- If our players are so mentally weak that a single guy receiving treatment for mental health issues is going to negatively influence their development or performance in a significant way, they weren’t going to last much longer in MTL (or life) anyway.

- I’d rather use the cap room for something tangible than sit on it as one of the wealthiest teams in the league. The contract is not an issue now or in the second year.

- There will INEVITABLY be injuries in our top-6 and Roy will likely play on the second line for extended stretches whether or not he starts the year there. Pretty much guaranteed to play on PP2 either way.

- I’m fairly confident Laine won’t be traded here unless he wants to be. He’ll decide whether it’s a fit and whether he’s ready. CLB and whomever acquires Laine want this to work out and Hughes isn’t being forced into a move.

- There are risks with Laine, that’s why he’s available. If we’re going to twiddle our thumbs waiting for an elite player without risks to become available, might as well rehire Bergevin. It’s an odd situation that MTL is uniquely positioned to take advantage of and I don’t see anything else comparable on the market.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He has had three tough years. In the two years prior to this year, playing only 50+ games he would be right up there for team leader in scoring with NS.

Cole just came off shoulder surgery, Wifi has had two in two years.

PL would be the habs best pure goal scorer by far.
Laine is coming off shoulder surgery…

Why would you dismiss Caufield and then ignore the same thing with Laine?

I think Caufield has a better chance of hitting 40 than Laine does.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He would be the habs best pure goal scorer by far. Laine is in his prime, has put up very good numbers in the past and if he is good to go and willing to come to MTL, the habs should be all over him.

The move is exactly what the habs should be doing.

Salary is for two years, they have the room. Injury issues, Cole, wifi, Dach, all have injury issues. If he is medically fit to go, he has the potential easily to be a point per game guy.
Except you’re imagining the Laine of 2018-19. That’s a long time ago.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If you’re going to talk about Laine’s games player over the last 4 years could you please acknowledge the shortened COVID seasons? Folks are looking over this and it’s super disingenuous
Really what about people dismissing his mental health issues out of hand?
Major markets are probably not be a great idea for Patrik Laine at this point.
He should focus on his health and putting together a decent season before begging out.
Columbus will do much better at TDL if he can.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Really what about people dismissing his mental health issues out of hand?
Major markets are probably not be a great idea for Patrik Laine at this point.
He should focus on his health and putting together a decent season before begging out.
Columbus will do much better at TDL if he can.
We do not know the cause of his mental health issues. Just because he has them it doesn’t mean it is due to an inability to handle pressure.

Maybe he has body image issues. Maybe he had a severe bout of depression because of the death of his dad.

To throw out a blanket statement of “how can a person with mental health issues deal with the pressure of Montreal” is entirely meaningless if we don’t know the cause his emotional ailments.

Last edited:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Yeah, ok, remove your best PPP producer from the PP in favour of a midget with 2 games pro experience.

Move your best pure goal scorer out of his preferred spot.

Expect miracles.

Hutson is pretty clearly a better offensive talent than Matheson. He won't start the season on pp1, but he will take over at some point.

Caufield hasn't proven to be a better goalscorer than Laine. Laine also has a better 1-timer, so it makes more sense to put him on the half wall.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
At best Laine gives us what we already have.

At worst, he’s a a huge distraction who costs us assets and disrupts the rebuild.

Again, not wholly against adding someone but it has to make sense.

If we decide that we need more forwards (and I really don’t think we do) then go all in on a power forward for a dimension we don’t have. That makes more sense.

Again though, the Canadiens should be thinking long term. Does Laine get us closer to a cup? I don’t think he does. He might help in the short term but I don’t really care much about that.
best as we have? who is a 40 goal man on the habs?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We do not know the issue of his mental health issues. Just because he has them it doesn’t mean, due to an inability to handle pressure.

Maybe he has body image issues. Maybe he had a severe bout of depression because of the death of his dad.

To throw out a blanket statement of “how can a person with mental health issues deal with the pressure of Montreal” is entirely meaningless if we don’t know the cause his emotional ailments.
It doesn't matter what his underlying issues are which is what people just don't get.
They were serious enough to land him in the Player's Assistance Program.

Most people don't realize the recovery rate from substance abuse is actually higher than recovery from Mental Health issues.
Obviously if you have both and or an addiction of any sort it gets worse.

I know first hand I've recovered from one (substance abuse) going on twenty years.
The other has taken me down on three separate occasions since 2013 I did the full treatments the first one lasting a full year.
Then comes the Occupational Therapy. I was able to get back up three times despite the stigma but to no avail.
It cost me my career my house and also led to bankruptcy. There is no magic pill.

So excuse me if I'm a doubting Thomas.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
funny
If Price was and did have issues. so dump him because of that or get him help and he comes back better and healthy.

weird take, stay away of the issue of assistance.

Reactions: Habby4Life

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Do you consider Konyushkov a B prospect? A little higher maybe.. That's the kind of ask I think they might do. Maybe Kapanen on his own also.

The trade could be worth it if they eat Anderson or Gallagher's contract in return, shortening the liability by one year.

I'd be thinking like Tuch.. not doing Kapanen or Konyushkov

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Do you consider Konyushkov a B prospect? A little higher maybe.. That's the kind of ask I think they might do. Maybe Kapanen on his own also.

The trade could be worth it if they eat Anderson or Gallagher's contract in return, shortening the liability by one year.
They aren't taking Gallagher. No one is. Not likely they would be willing to take Anderson either.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
At best Laine gives us what we already have.

At worst, he’s a a huge distraction who costs us assets and disrupts the rebuild.

Again, not wholly against adding someone but it has to make sense.

If we decide that we need more forwards (and I really don’t think we do) then go all in on a power forward for a dimension we don’t have. That makes more sense.

Again though, the Canadiens should be thinking long term. Does Laine get us closer to a cup? I don’t think he does. He might help in the short term but I don’t really care much about that.
I think the Habs absolutely need another top 6 forward. The sooner they get him, the better. I agree, a power forward would be ideal.

If Roy pans out this season, great, you can play him on the 3rd line. Nothing wrong in having good depth.
If not, they're in trouble and that's likely another lost season.

Reactions: Habby4Life

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think the Habs absolutely need another top 6 forward.
One more would be nice going forward. Honestly though, the top six we have going into this year is pretty good and next year we’ll add Demidov to it.

One more would mean Roy and Newhook go to the third giving us great depth.
The sooner they get him, the better. I agree, a power forward would be ideal.

If Roy pans out this season, great, you can play him on the 3rd line. Nothing wrong in having good depth.
If not, they're in trouble and that's likely another lost season.
Why are they in trouble? We are not expecting the playoffs anyway.

Dach and Newhook should be good for at least 50 each. Roy should get 40. That’s fine for a second line. The top six is pretty decent as is.

But we don’t really have much scoring depth beyond it. Demidov will help next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: dralaf

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The last and only time Laine scored 40 goals was 7 season ago in 2017-18. With Columbus he scored 64 goals in 174 games (a pace of 30 goals over an 82 game season). If Montreal were to trade for him I think we have to lower our expectations on his production.
On the one hand, he seems like a player that there will always be a market for, so his cap will be high, especially if he scores 30 again. But, his 200 foot game doesn't seem like it would be worth his high cap hit.

On the other hand, I would love to see what he and Dach would do playing on a line together.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The last and only time Laine scored 40 goals was 7 season ago in 2017-18. With Columbus he scored 64 goals in 174 games (a pace of 30 goals over an 82 game season). If Montreal were to trade for him I think we have to lower our expectations on his production.
He’ll score less because he won’t be on PP1. His only use is one-timer from the left slot which is Cole’s spot.

He’ll go to Buffalo. They need the offence, they have the prospects and they are an organization of perennial losing which is perfect for Laine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad