HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I can’t fathom a player who’s already signed long term, being upset the team is adding more firepower to become more competitive and win more games that ultimately lead to being a playoff team.

Folks here constantly choose to ignore that it's been reported twice by Basu now (once in the Athletic and once on that podcast with Godin where he got flustered by Godin saying other teams actively got better) that young players have voiced concern about not losing forever and that management are aware it's something they have to keep an eye on.

I seriously doubt a single player on the team would be upset if we took a chance on Laine.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
At best Laine gives us what we already have.

At worst, he’s a a huge distraction who costs us assets and disrupts the rebuild.

Again, not wholly against adding someone but it has to make sense.

If we decide that we need more forwards (and I really don’t think we do) then go all in on a power forward for a dimension we don’t have. That makes more sense.

Again though, the Canadiens should be thinking long term. Does Laine get us closer to a cup? I don’t think he does. He might help in the short term but I don’t really care much about that.
At best Laine gives us a 40 goal scorer which the habs haven’t had since forever, lol.

Yes, this is the exact type of trade Hugo should make. A guy just entering his prime who has put up solid numbers every year he has been in the league. The guy went in assistance program, so what, so did Price and many others. It doesn’t mean he’s a locker room problem one bit.

He would instantly be the habs best scorer. The idea PL doesn’t instantly make the habs better is nonsense.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
“hey we don’t want to lose anymore”

Okay, we are going to trade for noted winner Patrick Laine :laugh:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Even then - an oft injured guy out of the player assistance program who has not produced near his potential for many seasons now isn't going to garner them a very big return. They might get a B level prospect and a 2nd.
Do you consider Konyushkov a B prospect? A little higher maybe.. That's the kind of ask I think they might do. Maybe Kapanen on his own also.

The trade could be worth it if they eat Anderson or Gallagher's contract in return, shortening the liability by one year.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
At least this time you're not inventing drug addiction issues for Laine. It's an improvement.
I agree, not many know why he went into the program and all the speculation is nonsense.

Even if he did have addiction issues, so what, he sought help. Many current and former players do. Heck, Price went into the program for addiction issues but everyone welcomed him back.

This bs about Laine is pathetic.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I agree, not many know why he went into the program and all the speculation is nonsense.

Even if he did have addiction issues, so what, he sought help. Many current and former players do. Heck, Price went into the program for addiction issues but everyone welcomed him back.

To me it's not even about the player. But why go around and throw that out there to diss a guy when there's literally been nothing to suggest it's his issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
At best Laine gives us a 40 goal scorer which the habs haven’t had since forever, lol.

Yes, this is the exact type of trade Hugo should make. A guy just entering his prime who has put up solid numbers every year he has been in the league. The guy went in assistance program, so what, so did Price and many others. It doesn’t mean he’s a locker room problem one bit.

He would instantly be the habs best scorer. The idea PL doesn’t instantly make the habs better is nonsense.
I wouldn’t look at at that way.

If we add him it should be as scoring depth, nothing more. He’s averaged 42 games for the past for or five years and is coming off shoulder surgery. He’s not the blue chip stud you think he is.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

If we add him it should be as scoring depth, nothing more. He’s averaged 42 games for the past for or five years and is coming off shoulder surgery. He’s not the blue chip stud you think he is.

For sure but he's a high-upside, low risk flyer.

The guy struggles to stay on the ice but has often been red hot when he is and he's taken steps to improve what was ailing him. If he doesn't work out, fine, it's not like you'll need to give up a haul for him and it's for two years. It's exactly the kind of move Hughes said he was looking to make.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
For sure but he's a high-upside, low risk flyer.
I dont know that he’s low risk.

How much cap do we eat? How much do we have to give up? How much of Roy’s ice does he eat?

And if he comes and plays poorly it’s another Gomez situation with the fans booing the shit out of him.
The guy struggles to stay on the ice but has often been red hot when he is and he's taken steps to improve what was ailing him. If he doesn't work out, fine, it's not like you'll need to give up a haul for him and it's for two years. It's exactly the kind of move Hughes said he was looking to make.
I’d rather just play Roy there and let him develop. We can make these kinds of moves down the line.

If we get him - fine. But we don’t need him and he eats the ice of players we’re trying to develop. What’s the point in spending all that time developing players if you’re just going to get vets to play in front of them when they need more ice?

We can make this kind of move later when we’re actually contending for something.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Another example of limited thinking. You sound upset.

So the instant someone goes into the assistance program it's because they have substance abuse issues?

Again, maybe he did but you're basing this off on absolutely nothing and get angry when called out on it. What you're doing is gross and should be pushed back against. It's a nasty way to be.

To me it's not even about the player. But why go around and throw that out there to diss a guy when there's literally been nothing to suggest it's his issue?
There is no way to know what the issue is/was. Does Columbus know? Would suitors know?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I dont know that he’s low risk.

How much cap do we eat? How much do we have to give up? How much of Roy’s ice does he eat?

And if he comes and plays poorly it’s another Gomez situation with the fans booing the shit out of him.

I’d rather just play Roy there and let him develop. We can make these kinds of moves down the line.

If we get him - fine. But we don’t need him and he eats the ice of players we’re trying to develop. What’s the point in spending all that time developing players if you’re just going to get vets to play in front of them when they need more ice?

Cap isn't a problem at all and his years are way shorter than Gomez, who I think still had 6 or 7 when we acquired him. Besides, I don't think we should fear acquiring guys because of one disastrous acquisition 15 years ago.

I like Roy but he's not the player who would stop me from an improvement in the top-6. He can start as a middle-6. I'd rather give a guy with Laine's upside to Dach, who's the far more important piece.

There is no way to know what the issue is/was. Does Columbus know? Would suitors know?

All I know that was speculated was video game issues in Winnipeg and his dad's passing while he played in Columbus. That's about it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Cap isn't a problem at all and his years are way shorter than Gomez, who I think still had 6 or 7 when we acquired him. Besides, I don't think we should fear acquiring guys because of one disastrous acquisition 15 years ago.
I’m not suggesting that his cap hit is the same as Gomez or that the risk is the same.

I’m saying that fans could get on him very easily as they did with Gomez. He’s coming off shoulder surgery and we saw what happened with CC after that.

And we don’t know how much of a cap hit he’d be.
I like Roy but he's not the player who would stop me from an improvement in the top-6. He can start as a middle-6. I'd rather give a guy with Laine's upside to Dach, who's the far more important piece.
Short cuts don’t work. This is a short cut to 8th place. Long term it doesn’t really help us.

What would help us long term is to develop the prospects we have. If Roy can’t handle it, we can make moves in the future. But right now I’d much rather him and Newhook on the second line.

We’ve done such a great job so far. I hope KH stays the course and doesn’t go for quick fixes like this.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Curious as to how old Laine's dad was when he passed away? I think, probably 55??
Therein may just lie the issues the kid is suffering from.......just a guess.

But really, what is the big deal? The kid entered the program and has come out the other side.
A 2 year contract is not even really a gamble......................for me it comes down to what is the cost?
Reasonable? Then he makes the deal..................where there is smoke, you will find Hughes in these discussions with Waddel.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I’m not suggesting that his cap hit is the same as Gomez or that the risk is the same.

I’m saying that fans could get on him very easily as they did with Gomez. He’s coming off shoulder surgery and we saw what happened with CC after that.

Short cuts don’t work. This is a short cut to 8th place. Long term it doesn’t really help us.

What would help us long term is to develop the prospects we have. If Roy can’t handle it, we can make moves in the future. But right now I’d much rather him and Newhook on the second line.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't think a guy who's 26 is a short-cut and I don't think supporting your (more important) young players with a high upside guy is harmful. The Canadiens have to try at some point and trying with him doesn't handicap you for years on end of he doesn't work out.

The Gomez stuff doesn't really rate for me. I'm not going to pick one singular incident from over a decade ago worry me today, especially when the Habs popularity in the city is in the toilet. If there's ever been a time where people don't seem to give a shit...

Reactions: Habs10Habs and 417

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't think a guy who's 26 is a short-cut and I don't think supporting your (more important) young players with a high upside guy is harmful. The Canadiens have to try at some point and trying with him doesn't handicap you for years on end of he doesn't work out.

The Gomez stuff doesn't really rate for me. I'm not going to pick one singular incident from over a decade ago worry me today, especially when the Habs popularity in the city is in the toilet. If there's ever been a time where people don't seem to give a shit...
As I said, if we get him I’ll be fine with it if it’s a cheap cost. But he’s coming off shoulder injury, player assistance, big contract… there absolutely are risks here.

If we’re going to shore up the top six, I’d prefer we spend more to try to get a power forward.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

It doesn’t matter what the issue is, that’s the point. Our best player the last 20 years needed to go into the program and never came back. Another player had to go into the program and his career was almost over until he rejuvenated it by going elsewhere (Colorado).

So why would we willingly take a player who already has an issue and bring him to this market that is known to be extremely difficult.

Plus you add the salary, the injury issues, the fit. It just doesn’t make sense.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
As I said, if we get him I’ll be fine with it if it’s a cheap cost. But he’s coming off shoulder injury, player assistance, big contract… there absolutely are risks here.

If we’re going to shore up the top six, I’d prefer we spend more to try to get a power forward.
Cheap acquisition cost and with Jackets taking back salary (like Anderson).

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That's not an overpay. Only in Hab land is giving scraps and leftovers an overpay.

We don't have a Laine. And no CC ain't a Laine. Evaluation of Laine is way off if he's ok to play.
A big IF I have to say.
The strikes against the player won't suddenly disappear simply because we acquire him.
Yeah the odds are great he's going to give us a complete season after not being able to do that 5 years running.
People are also underestimating the effect stress can have on Mental Health and we are such a stress free environment. :skeptic:

How the hell are Kent Hughes or Jeff Gorton supposed to determine he's well enough to perform in our Market?
If people think it's because some doctor cleared him they know jack shit about Mental Health and the 50% relapse rate.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

He has had three tough years. In the two years prior to this year, playing only 50+ games he would be right up there for team leader in scoring with NS.

Cole just came off shoulder surgery, Wifi has had two in two years.

PL would be the habs best pure goal scorer by far.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
It doesn’t matter what the issue is, that’s the point. Our best player the last 20 years needed to go into the program and never came back. Another player had to go into the program and his career was almost over until he rejuvenated it by going elsewhere (Colorado).

So why would we willingly take a player who already has an issue and bring him to this market that is known to be extremely difficult.

Plus you add the salary, the injury issues, the fit. It just doesn’t make sense.
He would be the habs best pure goal scorer by far. Laine is in his prime, has put up very good numbers in the past and if he is good to go and willing to come to MTL, the habs should be all over him.

The move is exactly what the habs should be doing.

Salary is for two years, they have the room. Injury issues, Cole, wifi, Dach, all have injury issues. If he is medically fit to go, he has the potential easily to be a point per game guy.

Reactions: bsl and Habs10Habs

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
He would be the habs best pure goal scorer by far. Laine is in his prime, has put up very good numbers in the past and if he is good to go and willing to come to MTL, the habs should be all over him.

The move is exactly what the habs should be doing.

Salary is for two years, they have the room. Injury issues, Cole, wifi, Dach, all have injury issues. If he is medically fit to go, he has the potential easily to be a point per game guy.
Yes. Medically fit. Better to go after someone who hasn't had injury problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad